By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'll take Zelda And Mario over Call of Duty, Reggie says.

If 3rd parties didn't release an iteration of their flagship titles EVERY SINGLE year I wouldn't feel Reggie had much of a point. But he does. I mean why even buy CoD:AW when you know the sequel will be out next year to hopefully improve on the last? Then of course its the same vicious cycle of why buy the next in line when... you get the idea.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/ill_take_zelda_and_mario_over_sharing_call_of_duty_with_sony_and_microsoft_says_reggie_fils_aime

'll Take Zelda And Mario Over Sharing Call Of Duty With Sony And Microsoft, Says Reggie Fils-Aime

Posted Thu 6th Nov 2014 17:00 by Damien McFerran

"I’d much rather be where Nintendo is, with a differentiated platform"

Third-party support has been one of Nintendo's biggest issues since the launch of the Wii U. The console has struggled to attract external developers and publishers in the same way that Sony and Microsoft's systems have, and there are many games which could have made their way to Nintendo's platform but haven't — lack of commercial viability presumably being the main reason.

Nintendo is keenly aware of the situation. Speaking to re/code, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime feels that his company is making good progress on turning the Wii U into a much more viable vehicle for third-parties:

In the end, what third-party companies want is a large install base to sell their games into [and] a wide demographic footprint that they can target their games to. They also want a robust connected environment so that they themselves can explore downloadable content or digital sales. [For] the Wii U business, year-to-date versus last year, our install base is almost doubled. We’re building that footprint for developers, with a range of games from Bayonetta 2 to Mario Kart. In the North American territory, just about every Wii U is connected to the Internet.

However, when it was pointed out that Nintendo systems are missing out on Call of Duty for the first time in years, Files-Aime took a more defiant tone and even had a little dig at the tiresome resolution and frame rate war which seems to preoccupy the lives of many PS4 and Xbox One owners:

I would love to have Call of Duty on our platform. I would love to have any of the big blockbuster, multi-platform titles. But I have to say, more specifically, I want games that provide a differentiated consumer experience. If you look at the other two competitive platforms, fundamentally, what’s the difference? ...when you look at either one, either by themselves doesn’t have a lot of exclusive content. They have a lot of shared content. Look at it from the standpoint of, what don’t they have? They don’t have our games. They don’t have Mario and Zelda. I’d much rather be where Nintendo is, with a differentiated platform, differentiated set-up experiences that we can provide uniquely to the consumer. Let those other guys battle it out over, you know, which visual representation of Call of Duty is most compelling. I like our chances of having a differentiated console and a differentiated series of experiences.

Around the Network

Reggie is just butt hurt

PSN & XBOX GT : cutzman25

Its easy to say that when you don't have a choice. You think he would say something so stupid if Nintendo had third parties?

Let the other guys battle it out over, you know, who is selling more millions of consoles. I like our chances of having a controller with a screen on it! :D

HEEEEY Reggie mah boi!

Did you know there's not only Call of Duty on PS4 and Xbox One ?

Around the Network

Reggie is epic fail anyways.

New collectors edition! YAY!.... in EU.

Oh yeah and region locked so fuck you NA.

Am I the only one who read that as Reggie saying in a nice way, "Fuck the third party multiplats, we dont need them to make money"

smart guy.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Deeds said:

Am I the only one who read that as Reggie saying in a nice way, "Fuck the third party multiplats, we dont need them to make money"

I read it as a typical downplaying of what they don't have and playing up what they do.

badgenome said:
Deeds said:

I read it as a typical downplaying of what they don't have and playing up what they do.

I dunno, the way he said, "I would love to have any of the big blockbuster, multi-platform titles."..... in the context of his overall statement it sounds very snide and sarcastic.