By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'll take Zelda And Mario over Call of Duty, Reggie says.

@ Thread title; Yeah, me too .

Wouldn't hurt to have some of those third party games in addition though. And lol at the people immediately shitting all over this instantly. What do you guys think he is supposed to say?

Around the Network

If Nintendo had CoD, he'd be bragging about that. This is part of his job. He provides the kool-aid; some people drink it, some don't. He only wants a "differentiated experience" because he has no choice in the matter. It's stupid, it really is, but I don't blame him for spinning, I blame those who spin along with him because they want to believe.

You are never better off for having LESS games. That makes no sense. If you're one of those people who say, "yeah, Nintendo is awesome because they don't have the same third party titles as Sony and Microsoft," then stop it right now. Casting that as some kind of positive is ludicrous. It would still be the same Nintendo console, only with more variety.

If Netflix decided to remove every movie or show that was also on another video service in an effort to offer a "differentiated experience", would you cheer that, too?

Of course, the funny part is that both Sony and Microsoft will have exclusives AND third party games. No one can gloss over that without making themselves look silly. Uncharted and Halo, among many other titles, will offer plenty of differentiation.

badgenome said:
Deeds said:

Geoff Keighley isn't the only frustrating shill out there. Reggie needs to tone it down a notch though. Getting frustrated and then boasting about something that is common knowledge doesn't really instill me with much confidence of him being a great leader.

No, he isn't but he and Reggie have this kind of combative on-screen relationship where they're always both expecting to get into it, and so they inevitably do. I don't even know if it's genuine. It almost seems like schtick at this point.

If it is legit it's hard to fault Reggie. I don't know how else a person can react when you're there to talk about a product (i.e., to sell it) and the host of the thing does everything possible to shit on you. Whether it's asking "How come Big Multiplat Game isn't coming to the Wii U?" for the umpteenth time or downplaying reveals with "...that's it? Cranky Kong?" in a way that Keighley would never do to anyone else. Maybe he should hold his cool better, but I don't think Reggie is much of a leader anyway. He doesn't have the autonomy to be when all of the big calls seem to be made in Japan, which is why Nintendo sometimes seems so out of step with western consumers' desires. It's both their biggest strength and their biggest weakness.

I agree with your post EXCEPT THIS. I dont think a lack of autonomy is a weakness at all. Why do you think autonomy would work for Nintendo when it did not work for Sega. Sega of America had too much autonomy and it led to infighting between them and Sega of Japan because Sega of America were pissed off that Sega of Japan chose a PowerVR chip instead of a 3Dfx chip for the Dreamcast. Sometimes its better to keep your divisions on a long leash.

CladInShadows said:
Seece said:
Deeds said:
Seece said:
"Look at it from the standpoint of, what don’t they have? They don’t have our games. They don’t have Mario and Zelda."

And you don't have Sunset and Halo, or Bloodborne and Uncharted ... on top of not having third party!

I don't blame him tho, PR 101.

PR? It doesnt sound like PR. It sounds like he is giving [particularly western] third party devs a scolding, letting them know, "We dont need you." *EDIT* Which is somewhat strange because Nintendo never needed them. Maybe he is frustrated at being asked the same thing over and over.

Sales would suggest WiiU and Nintendo need third parties badly.

The only third party Nintendo needs is third party exclusives. Because Call of Duty sold SOOOO well on the Wii and Wii U.

They need third parties but they also need to change/compete with Microsoft. No this doesn't mean becoming a clone, but having online and changing their image slightly. This will allow those third party games to sell better.

me too.
but millions and millions of people dont.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
If Nintendo had CoD, he'd be bragging about that. This is part of his job. He provides the kool-aid; some people drink it, some don't. He only wants a "differentiated experience" because he has no choice in the matter. It's stupid, it really is, but I don't blame him for spinning, I blame those who spin along with him because they want to believe.

You are never better off for having LESS games. That makes no sense. If you're one of those people who say, "yeah, Nintendo is awesome because they don't have the same third party titles as Sony and Microsoft," then stop it right now. Casting that as some kind of positive is ludicrous. It would still be the same Nintendo console, only with more variety.

If Netflix decided to remove every movie or show that was also on another video service in an effort to offer a "differentiated experience", would you cheer that, too?

Of course, the funny part is that both Sony and Microsoft will have exclusives AND third party games. No one can gloss over that without making themselves look silly. Uncharted and Halo, among many other titles, will offer plenty of differentiation.

What is funny is that even so the PS3 still has not outsold the Wii, even though the PS3 has had three revisions to encourage repeat buyers to "goose" the shipment numbers. The entertainment business is not an exact sceince, it is driven by tastes which can change on a whim.

Not a big fan of Reggie but I have to give him credit for his ability to rile people up.

forest-spirit said:
Not a big fan of Reggie but I have to give him credit for his ability to rile people up.

He needs to shut the fuck up at times. I still cringe at the "what's wrong with you", stunt he pulled off a while back.

Deeds said:
pokoko said:

What is funny is that even so the PS3 still has not outsold the Wii, even though the PS3 has had three revisions to encourage repeat buyers to "goose" the shipment numbers. The entertainment business is not an exact sceince, it is driven by tastes which can change on a whim.

What does that have to do with anything I said whatsoever?  And what is this "goose" thing?  You mean kinda like the New 3DS?

Seece said:
CladInShadows said:
Seece said:
Deeds said:
Seece said:
"Look at it from the standpoint of, what don’t they have? They don’t have our games. They don’t have Mario and Zelda."

And you don't have Sunset and Halo, or Bloodborne and Uncharted ... on top of not having third party!

I don't blame him tho, PR 101.

PR? It doesnt sound like PR. It sounds like he is giving [particularly western] third party devs a scolding, letting them know, "We dont need you." *EDIT* Which is somewhat strange because Nintendo never needed them. Maybe he is frustrated at being asked the same thing over and over.

Sales would suggest WiiU and Nintendo need third parties badly.

The only third party Nintendo needs is third party exclusives. Because Call of Duty sold SOOOO well on the Wii and Wii U.

They need third parties but they also need to change/compete with Microsoft. No this doesn't mean becoming a clone, but having online and changing their image slightly. This will allow those third party games to sell better.

Yep, not disagreeing with you there.  But when it comes down to it, many people have the Wii U as a second console.  Are you going to buy CoD or Assassin's Creed on on your Wii U, or are you going to get it on a much more capable system like the PS4 or the XBone? And minor gamepad functionality is generally not enough to differentiate the versions.  Those multiplats aren't going to sell many consoles.

What Nintendo needs is about 8 or 9 "Bayonetta 2" type games every year. In addition to whatever Nintendo themselves are developing.  Have a ton of GOOD games that you can't get anywhere else.  I know that's pretty unlikely at this point.  But it should have been their quest from the beginning.

As a fan of Nintendo's games, I buy every Nintendo system by default.  But we're a shrinking demographic, evidently.