By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'll take Zelda And Mario over Call of Duty, Reggie says.

What Reggie is saying would be like Toyota's CEO saying, "We dont need to put BMW engines in our cars to be successful". Well DUH! I must admit that Reggie comes off as a douchebag at times though.

Around the Network
Deeds said:

Let me clarify, they never needed third party multiplats to succeed. They never have and they never will need them.

They always have and they always will. Last generation wii had third party support including games like COD and casual games which were incredibly successful like Just Dance. Also, you can't always count on innovation to have success. The wiiu clearly shows that. It can go either way, from insaneley successful (wii motion cotrols) to complete failure (wiiu pad). 

Reggie's comment is incredibly ignorant. 

naruball said:
Deeds said:

Let me clarify, they never needed third party multiplats to succeed. They never have and they never will need them.

They always did and they always will. Last generation wii had third party support including games like COD and casual games which were incredibly successful like Just Dance. Also, you can't always count on innovation to have success. The wiiu clearly shows that. It can go either way, from insaneley successful (wii motion cotrols) to complete failure (wiiu pad). 

Reggie's comment is incredibly ignorant. 

The only third party game that drove the install base of the Wii was Just Dance (as proof Nintendo published it in Japan). Everything else that drove the install base of the Wii was from Nintendo EAD directly.

Deeds said:
Seece said:

1. Nothing is going to change, at this point it'll be a miracle if WiiU overtakes Gamecube

2. Correction, they made a profit this past Q, they're fluctuating between Q's of profit and Q's of losses.

3. That doesn't mean they don't need them, because even when they profit it's far below usual Nintendo like profits. If you think Nintendo want to plod along with measly profits for the next 20 years you're wrong.

And yes, I do know the difference (again) I've provided reasons why they need them, you've not provided anything to argue.

So you are the thousandth person singing Nintendo is doomed because of "x" without realizing why corporations go into business? *yawn* You're boring. As for the bolded part..... nah you dont know.

Didn't say they're doomed, I said they're likely to continue the same path they're on (and have been on for the last 3 years). What exactly do you think is gonna get consumers back on board a Nintendo console??

You claim I don't know the difference but you have zero answers.

Reggie shouldn't have said that, people will surely go nuts with this comment. I must say I agree with him, though, at least partially.

We're not in NES/SNES days anymore where third party games actually made a difference in Nintendo's home console sales. Wii was a success thanks to Nintendo's hardware approach and games, even then third parties barely provided it with worthwhile not-shovelware games, the only third party game I can think that pushed sales was Just Dance. When Nintendo had more "traditional" third party support in the GameCube, well, it became the worst selling Nintendo home console till now, and surely third party support didn't make a difference in the early Wii U days, third party game sales are awful on the console even considering low install base. Third party games make no difference for Nintendo right now, exclusive content is where Nintendo has a chance to compete.

Around the Network
Deeds said:

Geoff Keighley isn't the only frustrating shill out there. Reggie needs to tone it down a notch though. Getting frustrated and then boasting about something that is common knowledge doesn't really instill me with much confidence of him being a great leader.

No, he isn't but he and Reggie have this kind of combative on-screen relationship where they're always both expecting to get into it, and so they inevitably do. I don't even know if it's genuine. It almost seems like schtick at this point.

If it is legit it's hard to fault Reggie. I don't know how else a person can react when you're there to talk about a product (i.e., to sell it) and the host of the thing does everything possible to shit on you. Whether it's asking "How come Big Multiplat Game isn't coming to the Wii U?" for the umpteenth time or downplaying reveals with "...that's it? Cranky Kong?" in a way that Keighley would never do to anyone else. Maybe he should hold his cool better, but I don't think Reggie is much of a leader anyway. He doesn't have the autonomy to be when all of the big calls seem to be made in Japan, which is why Nintendo sometimes seems so out of step with western consumers' desires. It's both their biggest strength and their biggest weakness.

Seece said:
Deeds said:
Seece said:

1. Nothing is going to change, at this point it'll be a miracle if WiiU overtakes Gamecube

2. Correction, they made a profit this past Q, they're fluctuating between Q's of profit and Q's of losses.

3. That doesn't mean they don't need them, because even when they profit it's far below usual Nintendo like profits. If you think Nintendo want to plod along with measly profits for the next 20 years you're wrong.

And yes, I do know the difference (again) I've provided reasons why they need them, you've not provided anything to argue.

So you are the thousandth person singing Nintendo is doomed because of "x" without realizing why corporations go into business? *yawn* You're boring. As for the bolded part..... nah you dont know.

Didn't say they're doomed, I said they're likely to continue the same path they're on (and have been on for the last 3 years). What exactly do you think is gonna get consumers back on board a Nintendo console??

It's up to Nintendo to figure that out and their ability to do so exceeds mine as they have tons of market research data that I dont have. They did it with the Wii and as long as the money keeps flowing and their cash pile grows they will have time to figure it out (unlike Sega), but I can assure you that third party games wont be in the equation as overly important to them unless it is a negotiated exclusive.

I don't think Nintendo needs third party, tbh. I always buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. They have the strongest IP out of any dev or publisher, by far. I also think they have the strongest, most consistent first party studios.

Even with a marginal improvement in sales this year, they are turning a profit. They just need to stay the course and they will be fine.

Deeds said:
Seece said:

It's up to Nintendo to figure that out and their ability to do so exceeds mine as they have tons of market research data that I dont have. They did it with the Wii and as long as the money keeps flowing and their cash pile grows they will have time to figure it out (unlike Sega), but I can assure you that third party games wont be in the equation as overly important to them unless it is a negotiated exclusive.

The Wii is an anomoly. There can be nothing that will be that casual friendly again, especially now mobile and tablets exist.

Seece said:
Deeds said:
Seece said:
"Look at it from the standpoint of, what don’t they have? They don’t have our games. They don’t have Mario and Zelda."

And you don't have Sunset and Halo, or Bloodborne and Uncharted ... on top of not having third party!

I don't blame him tho, PR 101.

PR? It doesnt sound like PR. It sounds like he is giving [particularly western] third party devs a scolding, letting them know, "We dont need you." *EDIT* Which is somewhat strange because Nintendo never needed them. Maybe he is frustrated at being asked the same thing over and over.

Sales would suggest WiiU and Nintendo need third parties badly.

The only third party Nintendo needs is third party exclusives. Because Call of Duty sold SOOOO well on the Wii and Wii U.