By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - evil within metacritic (76 on PS4)...i.e. if this game was made a decade ago...

I have to say im tired of reviews complaining about a game to be too hard. I prefer a challenge personally and get annoyed when a game is too easy rather than too hard. However, if it is a cheap hard *cough* Dark Souls random instadeaths *cough* then i can understand.

Overall solid 76 though.  I think people are going to need to get use to the new review system which is lower than past generations.  Some of these games would be scoring much higher last generation but yes critics (click baiting sites excluded) seem to be much harsher.  In my opinion, boost games up by 5 points and that is about what the score would have been for last generation

Around the Network

Learned my lesson since Other M. Lowest Metroid, one of the best to me. Better play the game.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

jonathanalis said:
If oot was made today, it wouldnt havê 99 in metacritic.

Yes, as it would be ripping off all the games that ripped it off.

Train wreck said:

Gameinformer:

Bloodborne score: 65

+ pretty graphics

- Game plays too much like Demon Souls

- game is too hard, etc

The same Game Informer that gave Evil Within a 9/10? They're one of the last outlets I can take seriously. That sounds more like Polygon, but you'd have to add:

- Not enough social justice.

Train wreck said:

It would be GOTY.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/the-evil-within/critic-reviews

Common complaints:

Game is too hard, game tries too hard to be like survivor horror of yesteryear...its almost too funny.

Im reading a few of the reviews here and I dont a lot of the complaints you listed. I see:

-Game plays like RE 4 without any of the more modern controls that have built off(and made better) that style of game play.(poor controls)

-Terrible plot(classic RE if you ask me)

-As many enjoyable parts as their are terrible parts

-Broken camera

-Buggy

-Inconsistant framerate(on PS4 of all places, so you can imagine how it is on last gen)

-Trial and error deaths(gotcha! deaths)

A few complained difficulty, but it wasnt nearly by all reviewers. You cant make the arguement that: on its own/under these theoritical circumstances this game would be viewed as great. The only way you can view a game is in relativity to where it is actually released.

I'll get the game when it is <$20. I cant pay full price for games that have season passes.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
GamechaserBE said:
Did not play it but the reviews sound fair? Some complain it being like a ten year old masterpiece but the problem is that it is not better than those ten year old games + some call it too hard but if it is challenging I am fine with it but if it is unfair hard I would score it also low.

You can check my above posts for what I see the complaints to be(I only read like the 10 lowest reviews). Not many say it is hard, but unfair. Like a hallway that if you go down it you die. You now know to not go down that hallway ever again. Killing you for the sake of killing you and making you watch the loading screen.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

The game is really really good, it's crazy to give less than 8/10.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

:(
Was definitely expecting something around 85

Sorry, but the IGN review is only high because of the backlash from Alien Isolation.

Regardless, I am surprised the majority of the reviews are positive. Game looked terrible to me.

Another crap review from the offices of Polygon.

My 8th gen collection