By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom Won’t Work On A AAA Sequel Unless Its Predecessor Sold Over 2 Million Units

well the question should be: What does qualify as AAA for Capcom?

Surely Street Fighter and Resident Evil, but Dragon's Dogma and Dead Rising? Doubt it.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

Surely Street Fighter and Resident Evil, but Dragon's Dogma and Dead Rising? Doubt it.

I think its safe to say Megaman is like a...... I don't even think they qualify Megaman as anything..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

I'm going to be so happy when Crapcom will go bankrupt..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

KLXVER said:
and yet we keep getting Resident Evil games...

Resident Evil 6 sold over 4.8 million units.

So DMC and Dragon's Dogma will not get a sequel.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
amak11 said:
kowenicki said:

Yet they have made a profit for every one of the last 10 years and have near record net assets and cash......

Did you miss the bit where I said this?  I'm not making it up or guessing, its from the accounts.

Well I guess you don't do financial fact checking then? 

The last time they even made even a record was 2011: http://www.shacknews.com/article/68358/capcom-gets-46-revenue-bump 

You said for the last 10 years? 4/5 of those Megaman games drained a lot of cash. Then, this last year: http://gaminrealm.com/2013/09/10/capcom-152-mil-bank/

You are telling me that they have all the money in the world to create more AAA titles than anyone else? Take the blindfold off, they need to make money. They have been losing money, and consistantly been making stupid financial decisions. That cash on hand used to be much greater than it was last year. 

No I am not saying that.  I am saying they have made a profit every year for 10 years and have NEAR (NEAR!!!!!) record levels of net assets and profit.

These are facts!

And please dont insult my intelligence by linking me to a gaming site about financial results after I have just linked the actual financial reports from the parent company.

People want capcom to fail...  So they use bizzare logic. They have made some poor decisions. Depsite this, they are still making money!
If they had made better decisions they would have made even more money.

Another example, is Square-Enix, They had like 1 year last gen (I believe) where they actually lost money I believe. That was the year they released, tomb Raider, Hitman, etc...

A company's health has more to do with than just if they profited a certain year (IE if they sell off their assets, like sony did to make money, that is not good).

People here can't read financial reports,  and try to equate the quality of their games to whether the company is doing well or not. Which is bizzare, since this is a sales website.

Someone! Anyone! Please buy this fucking company!

I read through the whole thread and about 90% is obligatory whine about a Japanese company even when making a smart choice and wrong use of information involving buyout protection. Lets begin.

1.This is the smartest choice that CAP has made available to the public in a while. CAP has said if what they consider to be AAA does not at sell atleast 2 mill they will not waste anymore resources on it. What is wrong with that? If a AAA tiered game cannot cross an easy 2mill threshold doesnt that show consumers were not interested?

2. A 2mill threshold for AAA is generous! Western companies would have that number 5 mill with EA and Activision throwing 10mill threshold !!!! Capcom is being very lose on what they consider AAA success. Why are you bitching? You know how expensive AAA games can get... If it cannot cross a petty 2mill? Yea, let it go.

The amount of comments wishing ill will on CAPCOM because they will be managing their resources better, something they have taken heat for not doing in the past, is ignorant

3. Thisapplies to AAA IP's both old and new going forward. No fucking reason Okami and Darkstalkers should be brought up. They have nver been considered to AAA.

Barozi said:

Dragon's Dogma was their second largest production ever,second only to Resident Evil 6. And was almost certainly a financial disaster, but definitely a AAA production so don't expect to see that franchise again. Dead Rising is also definatly AAA by their standards, DR3 being at least partially bank rolled by MS offsets the sales targets for that tho. Last gen Lost Planet and DMC were also AAA franchises for them but both of those had outsourced B games for their last entries so they are up in the air.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
Barozi said:

Dragon's Dogma was their second largest production ever,second only to Resident Evil 6. And was almost certainly a financial disaster, but definitely a AAA production so don't expect to see that franchise again. Dead Rising is also definatly AAA by their standards, DR3 being at least partially bank rolled by MS offsets the sales targets for that tho. Last gen Lost Planet and DMC were also AAA franchises for them but both of those had outsourced B games for their last entries so they are up in the air.

Huh!?

Dragon's Dogma has sold a good deal over 2 mill and that is not even counting the PC version or Dark Arizen DLC. It most definitely was not a  disaster.