By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom Won’t Work On A AAA Sequel Unless Its Predecessor Sold Over 2 Million Units

daredevil.shark said:
kowenicki said:
they might not be making many games soon then....

I guess so. Last time I checked they had only $253 million cash and its nothing for a big publisher. Who knew capcom will be in such condition.

Exclusivity. Capcom has been playing around with it. They should be full multiplat for all of their games. They've been making exclusives for the highest bidder. Their best workers left to Platinum Games and another is about to make Mighty No.9 for another publisher. If they don't smarten up they will bite the dust this gen. They need to stop accepting Microsofts money for Dead Rising's exclusivity being as their titles need to be on as many platforms as possible. Microsoft is only lookig out for Microsoft. Monster hunters console version needs to be on multiple consoles this gen, because one console will not cut it this gen. I hope Capcom is prepared with a cross gen version (in terms of power) for the Wii U and the other two consoles. They need a new Street Fighter and I'm saying now. They should never been working on Ultra Street FIghter. They should be ready for competition like Killer Instinct: Season 2, Tekken 7 and the next DOA. Evo is going crazy over it and there is no more Marvel vs Capcom for them in the near future because Marvel took their licensing rights from them.

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
Well good riddance of Lost Planet and Remember me... sad for Asura's Wrath, that game was bat crazy..

I liked Remember Me, it had an interested world and premise and wasn't a bad game just could have had more but it was made by a new independent studio. This said, it wasn't AAA (was it?) and was being made before Capcom came in to publish/save it.

Eitherway, I'd prefer 3 AA titles where I may only like 1 over 1 AAA title I don't and a sequel I wouldn't ever buy.

Oh and to those speaking of Dragon's Dogma, it was a fun game, great graphics (lighting) but good lord the story was absolute nonsense.

Hmm, pie.

kowenicki said:
daredevil.shark said:
kowenicki said:
they might not be making many games soon then....

I guess so. Last time I checked they had only $253 million cash and its nothing for a big publisher. Who knew capcom will be in such condition.

Not this again.

I thought I had dealt with this before.  http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=168264&page=1

Capcom is actually in a stronger postion than it has been in many previous years.

Want some up top date figures?

Next... what you see here is the last 5 years left to right.  2010 to 2014 showing (top line) assets (2nd line) net assets and (3rd line) net cash.

Gaming journalists shouldnt venture away from the screen and controller....

If Capcom is the strongest its ever been in years...then why were they lookig for a potential compay to buy them out?

S.T.A.G.E. said:

If Capcom is the strongest its ever been in years...then why were they lookig for a potential compay to buy them out?

No... shareholders just put a hold to their anti takeover plans.. the current shareholders would be buying more capcom stock to prevent the party that would do a hostile takeover to have too much power... It doesn't mean Capcom is looking for someone to buy them..  that was just a media brain fart..

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/06/capcom_could_be_up_for_sale_after_shareholders_reject_anti_takeover_plan

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

kowenicki said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I dont know anything about that.  But think about what you just said really carefully....  would you look to sell your business when it is in trouble and desperate or when it is strong?

In any event... are you saying the numbers above are lies?  They are what they are.... no amount of sensationalism or conjecture on your or anyone elses part can change the facts.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/85011/who-wants-to-buy-a-capcom

Capcom is losing money. A lot of companies will go the way of THQ if they dont smarten up and start making AA games as well as AAA titles. Even Sony is joining in even though they'll have a lot of AAA. Capcom needs an investor to take the financial burden off of them for these games. If it was me selling to a manufacturer I would sell to either Nintendo or Sony. Retro would do great things with Capcoms IP's but Sony Santa Monica is known for being great with Hack N Slash and could revitalize DMC and is in dire need of an exclusive fighter. MS got Killer Instinct from Rare so maybe Sony could pick up Capcom?

Around the Network

will they port some games to other platforms to ensure that(2 M)?

the_dengle said:

Well, really I was referring to AA games in general and using AA as an example of a AA game. Capcom has other AA games, like Mega M-- hm. Well, like Viewtiful J-- oh. Ach, you know, like Lost Pl-- what the hell Capcom, you make it so hard to like you sometimes, you know that??

Regarding handheld franchises, Resident Evil was a quite successful handheld franchise for all of 10 minutes, and then Capcom decided they didn't like being successful. Mega Man was also a successful handheld franchise until they screwed that up, too.

It's kind of strange how many Japanese publishers who had a lot of success on handhelds have suddenly decided that they're too good to settle for merely moderate successes, and have to aim for massive success with every one of their games, even if it means making less money on a lot of them because their budgets are disproportionately large. Like Konami with Castlevania, Capcom with the aforementioned, or Square-Enix with almost everything. Even Grand Theft Auto had very good sales on both PSP and DS, yet Rockstar won't give the Vita or 3DS the time of day.

I'd think the rise of the mobile market had anything to do with this, but these guys aren't exactly making a killing in that space, either.

One of my biggest disappointments of this generation is complete abandonment by the bigger Japanese publishers of handhelds.  Especially given how keen companies like Square Enix were on PSP.

3DS' support is pretty pitiful.  Vita's support is non-existant.  It's such a shame they can't seem to find a way to make these mid-budget, moderate-returns titles work; especially since they'd provide a pretty constant stream of income if they were being made (rather than gambling it all on a "hey, maybe this app will take off" craze on phones).

Kresnik said:
the_dengle said:

Well, really I was referring to AA games in general and using AA as an example of a AA game. Capcom has other AA games, like Mega M-- hm. Well, like Viewtiful J-- oh. Ach, you know, like Lost Pl-- what the hell Capcom, you make it so hard to like you sometimes, you know that??

Regarding handheld franchises, Resident Evil was a quite successful handheld franchise for all of 10 minutes, and then Capcom decided they didn't like being successful. Mega Man was also a successful handheld franchise until they screwed that up, too.

It's kind of strange how many Japanese publishers who had a lot of success on handhelds have suddenly decided that they're too good to settle for merely moderate successes, and have to aim for massive success with every one of their games, even if it means making less money on a lot of them because their budgets are disproportionately large. Like Konami with Castlevania, Capcom with the aforementioned, or Square-Enix with almost everything. Even Grand Theft Auto had very good sales on both PSP and DS, yet Rockstar won't give the Vita or 3DS the time of day.

I'd think the rise of the mobile market had anything to do with this, but these guys aren't exactly making a killing in that space, either.

One of my biggest disappointments of this generation is complete abandonment by the bigger Japanese publishers of handhelds.  Especially given how keen companies like Square Enix were on PSP.

3DS' support is pretty pitiful.  Vita's support is non-existant.  It's such a shame they can't seem to find a way to make these mid-budget, moderate-returns titles work; especially since they'd provide a pretty constant stream of income if they were being made (rather than gambling it all on a "hey, maybe this app will take off" craze on phones).

it WORKS, they just dont want it.   they are allin for the winner takes it all game.  meanwhile smaller companys are taking the mid segment and new companys are taking the mobil cash.

In some way, they already killed their franchise by doing too much uneaded sequel. If that can help them to focus on new ip, why not ?

2m for AAA isn't much, I reckon that many other publishers have their thresholds at 5m+.