By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom Won’t Work On A AAA Sequel Unless Its Predecessor Sold Over 2 Million Units

This means no DmC? :(

Around the Network

I really hope or another dragon's dogma game.
I need it

daredevil.shark said:
curl-6 said:
The AAA business model is cancerous.

"Typical" AAA models are not healthy. They need to use resources efficiently. CDPR and ND are good examples of good management.

"Typical" AAA models are risky .

I don't get it, people keep talking about DmC and Dead Rising but neither is a AAA title, not by a long shot.

kowenicki said:

How are they losing money if net assets are near record highs, as are cash balances and they have made a profit every year for 11 years?

thats not what the vote means.

Its a pure greed vote by shareholders.

see my and NikkoM response above.

They have been losing money for years, and a crap ton of it at that. Capcom pumped cash in to 5 cancelled Megaman games (all within the past 14 years), and not just a little bit of money either. They also stayed away from HD development because it's too expensive. Which according to my friend who knows a lot about the Monster Hunter series "MH isn't on sony anymore because capcom didn't want to pay them more money to fix graphics cuz capcom is lazy." Pretty much shows how much Capcom actually cares about it's franchises. Without Microsoft you wouldnt have seen Dead Rising 3, without Nintendo, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate wouldn't make it's trip around the world. Pretty much Capcom is a prostitute, once you give it money, it'll do whatever you want. 

Around the Network

Well, good luck capcom. This mean no more devil may cry since the last one didn't sell that much.

Follow me on Instagram : YAFEAXX

S.T.A.G.E. said:
daredevil.shark said:
kowenicki said:
they might not be making many games soon then....

I guess so. Last time I checked they had only $253 million cash and its nothing for a big publisher. Who knew capcom will be in such condition.

Exclusivity. Capcom has been playing around with it. They should be full multiplat for all of their games. They've been making exclusives for the highest bidder. Their best workers left to Platinum Games and another is about to make Mighty No.9 for another publisher. If they don't smarten up they will bite the dust this gen. They need to stop accepting Microsofts money for Dead Rising's exclusivity being as their titles need to be on as many platforms as possible. Microsoft is only lookig out for Microsoft. Monster hunters console version needs to be on multiple consoles this gen, because one console will not cut it this gen. I hope Capcom is prepared with a cross gen version (in terms of power) for the Wii U and the other two consoles. They need a new Street Fighter and I'm saying now. They should never been working on Ultra Street FIghter. They should be ready for competition like Killer Instinct: Season 2, Tekken 7 and the next DOA. Evo is going crazy over it and there is no more Marvel vs Capcom for them in the near future because Marvel took their licensing rights from them.

Don't see a monster hunter console version coming out any time soon. Costs more to make and sells less than the handheld version. A quick and dirty wiiu port of monster hunter 4 would be the most likely and even then I don't see it happening.

amak11 said:
kowenicki said:

How are they losing money if net assets are near record highs, as are cash balances and they have made a profit every year for 11 years?

thats not what the vote means.

Its a pure greed vote by shareholders.

see my and NikkoM response above.

They have been losing money for years, and a crap ton of it at that. Capcom pumped cash in to 5 cancelled Megaman games (all within the past 14 years), and not just a little bit of money either. They also stayed away from HD development because it's too expensive. Which according to my friend who knows a lot about the Monster Hunter series "MH isn't on sony anymore because capcom didn't want to pay them more money to fix graphics cuz capcom is lazy." Pretty much shows how much Capcom actually cares about it's franchises. Without Microsoft you wouldnt have seen Dead Rising 3, without Nintendo, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate wouldn't make it's trip around the world. Pretty much Capcom is a prostitute, once you give it money, it'll do whatever you want. 

... he just told you they made profit every year for 11 years. How does that translate into "they have been losing money for years".

Think of the budgets they put into these games, selling 2 million for a game that cost 50+ millions is probably the result of some cost/risk calculation they made in some high level meetings.

ishiki said:

AAA games refer to budgets. Though I'm not sure what the threshold
It makes sense that expensive games need to move a decent amount of copies to warrant a sequal.

If they make 30$ on each copy. That means it needs to net Capcom ~60 million.

I'd assume AAA budget means atleast 20 million today + advertising costs + (you need it to make some net profit, breaking even is not a success).

Just an informal FYI, it is believed by various sales analysts that physical games make around 1/4 of their sale price back to the publisher. So it would be $40 million if Capcom is talking about 2 million launch sales.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling