By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Final Fantasy XV Footage + Battle System Details

ParryWinkle said:
riecsou said:

I have been playing FF since Nintendo. FF is my fave series ever. I played and replayed and maybe replayed every main FF execpt FF XIII-2 (no replay value for me). I have bought every main FF except Ligthning returns and the online's one. Look at the sales of FF XIII to FF XIII-2 to lightning returns... They are loosing fans and I am one of them. This game looks like dirge of cerberus, and I played the game and enjoyed it cause I know it was a different type of FF. game.

How do you come to this conclusion? It looks nothing like Dirge of Cerberus

Dirge of cerberus: shooting, getting invaded, get rid of them, getting invaded some more...

This video in this thread:slashing,  getting invaded, get rid of them, getting invaded some more...

The only thing keeping me interested in this game is the E3 2013 video. This was an impressive video. All the videos after that have gotten me worried.

Around the Network

Lightning Returns is probably the least casual FF I've ever played... with maybe FFV as the exception.
FFXIII was probably the most casual. It's annoying when people talk about the whole trilogy as being casual when it's just wrong. Lightning Returns may not be a good game for many. But it is much deeper mechanically, than pretty much any FF.

The story still is not good. And framerate is terrible which will be fixed with PC release hopefully.

Now onto FFXV.

The battle system, looks and sounds like a variant, of KH, with FFXII's gambits, with weapon switching from like Ninja Gaiden. People just took one statement and went batshit insane with it. That is really kinda cool if it works.

It would have been cooler, if each character had their own play style instead of just noctis, as if the combat is good that would increase the replay ability of the game.

That said, I think the kingdom hearts fighting ranges from poor to good (Though it's improved pretty much every game). So my expectations aren't that high and were never that high to begin with.

riecsou said:
ParryWinkle said:
riecsou said:

I have been playing FF since Nintendo. FF is my fave series ever. I played and replayed and maybe replayed every main FF execpt FF XIII-2 (no replay value for me). I have bought every main FF except Ligthning returns and the online's one. Look at the sales of FF XIII to FF XIII-2 to lightning returns... They are loosing fans and I am one of them. This game looks like dirge of cerberus, and I played the game and enjoyed it cause I know it was a different type of FF. game.

How do you come to this conclusion? It looks nothing like Dirge of Cerberus

Dirge of cerberus: shooting, getting invaded, get rid of them, getting invaded some more...

This video in this thread:slashing,  getting invaded, get rid of them, getting invaded some more...

The only thing keeping me interested in this game is the E3 2013 video. This was an impressive video. All the videos after that have gotten me worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Md7GhVH3vUg

The combat hasn't really changed. You can actually play like the E3 2013 video

They still aren't showing us the gameplay aspects that FF fans actually want to see. What about the options? Manipulation of the battle system to do different things besides just fighting monsters? Synthesis shops? Grinding variants? Stat increase options? Etc.

The combat system was never the thing gameplay-wise that kept people involved with FF games anyways. It was the exploration of the world and more importantly the depth of the exploration of the world. Chrono Cross for instance doesn't have a massive world to explore, but it has so much depth and specific well thought out instances of game progression in every area of the game.

Lube Me Up

Hynad said:
teigaga said:

What a typically shallow reply. No substance, just pointing the finger. Signs that you have nothing of value to provide.

I never said it needed to be real-time. I said they've been working on a transition to real-time for some time now.   It doesn't necessarily need that aspect to feel new. But as I said, the series attempts to shake things up with every title. This time around, they do it by going real-time. It's still a JRPG. Not turn based, but so was XII. And that one was pretty much a Final Fantasy game.

I also said that the "traditional FF game" isn't only made of a battle system. Things like a world map, controllable airships, chocobos, Cid, summons, etc... are all aspects of what constitutes a FF game. They can remove or tweak some of those aspects, but that won't necessarily make the game something other than a Final Fantasy game.  

Now I get that some may prefer turn-based battle systems over real-time ones. At the same time, at this point in time, if people are still complaining that the Final Fantasy games aren't like what they were 10 years ago, they definitely should try catching up to the present time. 

As for your stupid jab, of course, because I think FF XV is definitely a Final Fantasy game and the series isn't dead, S-E must be paying me. ¬_¬

FF consists of numerous components yes. This is the first to completely rid of one of the most notable components being turn based battle. This is a new era of mainline Final Fantasy. That is all I've been trying to say, Infact I was playing devils advocate... Snark remarks like ''you must want to play the same game reskinned every 3 years'' is infact implying a turn based game would equal ''the same game every 3 year'.'

Just remember that this game had ''versus'' in the title for a reason. 

Around the Network

It's hard not to be disappointed by what I'm seeing/hearing from FFXV lately. Going back to the initial reveal trailers (when it was FFvsXIII) it was so dark, and gritty and heavy feeling (something I miss in my FF games). It was supposed to be "a Fantasy based on Reality." The potential that held was phenominal. Was really looking forward to a deep story with complex battles.

From what I've seen of FFXV lately, it looks like we'll get non of that. Appears they are sticking with the formula of the last few games. Keep it light and fast paced, with the emphasis on auto-play. That's not what Final Fantasy's legacy is built on. If they want to reach a broader audience, do it with a new IP, or do it with a different IP. Final Fantasy is (was) a known brand that you knew what you were getting when you got into it. Now, it's anybody's guess....and it's usually for the worse.

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

They say its difficult to switch and play as other characters, yet they had no problems with it on versus 13 on the PS3. PS3 > PS4/Xbox One confirmed! Th3 pow3r of the C3LL.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

"Also, you aren’t invincible. There are attacks you can’t avoid. In those cases, there are also essential technical evasion methods"

These small details really make all the difference, GREAT.

Noctis as the only playable character is actually good news to me.

4 ≈ One

deskpro2k3 said:

They say its difficult to switch and play as other characters, yet they had no problems with it on versus 13 on the PS3. PS3 > PS4/Xbox One confirmed! Th3 pow3r of the C3LL.

No problem with it on Versus XIII on the PS3? That must be why that game got released, right?