By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bungie and Activision are looking deep for good review scores

Leadified said:
Squeezol said:
National Post? O_o

It's a Canadian (Conservative) newspaper. Their video game reviews are found on the Financial Post section of their website, for some reason. Nevertheless, when it comes to video games the NP is like your one friend who can find joy in any type of games, http://www.metacritic.com/publication/post-arcade-national-post.

Oh, I see. I thought it was some kind of post office..

Around the Network
sundin13 said:

Shipped numbers pulled in about $500mil in the first 24...it has easily made its money back by now

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/destiny-tops--500-million-in-day-one-sales-to-stores-162745164.html

They need to sell, and remember that retailers are taking a big chunk of those profits so its not 500$ mil back to Acti on its investment.

With the introduction of GamersGate, do reviews even matter anymore?

TheAdjustmentBureau said:
^^^^^^

Titanfall was EA. And the press hyped Titanfall on their own after E3 2013. It has the highest fps meta this gen so far right? Destiny though is a very boring game of which Warframe is much better.

Oh crap. wrong company. 

EA and Activision are so much the same in their business. Sims 4 and Battlefield are also another example. They're so incomplete its a crime to call them a "full game"

Vena said:
sundin13 said:

Shipped numbers pulled in about $500mil in the first 24...it has easily made its money back by now

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/destiny-tops--500-million-in-day-one-sales-to-stores-162745164.html

They need to sell, and remember that retailers are taking a big chunk of those profits so its not 500$ mil back to Acti on its investment.

"Since the beginning, we’ve been confident that our investment and belief in Destiny would pay off. But not many people believed we’d be able to say it did so on day one,”

Activision already claimed that it made back their investment (which wasn't 500mil$ btw)

PS: Activision doesn't need those games to sell to make money off of them. They get money when the game is sold to the stores...

Around the Network
sundin13 said:

Activision already claimed that it made back their investment (which wasn't 500mil$ btw)

PS: Activision doesn't need those games to sell to make money off of them. They get money when the game is sold to the stores...

The only number acti has claimed, as far as I'm aware, is ~300$ million, and they do not sell the game to the retailers at the numbers they use when reporting said earnings. They sell to retailers under the retail price by a large margin, and I am pretty sure they use the retail line when calculating their figures of 500$/~300$ million.

sundin13 said:
DucksUnlimited said:

Yes, and "10/10 - Some random guy from GamesRadar" would also be perceived as silly. And yet, that's exactly all it is: some random guy from GamesRadar's opinion. If it was "10/10 - GamesRadar", it would be the same thing but people like you seem to hold a higher opinion simply because it's attached to a brand. What you're arguing here is semantics of perception, not the quality of review.

Now please, tell me how you assign objective value to people's opinions.

If you are using reviews as a way of saying "my product is worth buying" and you have to resort to a bunch of sites no one has ever heard of in order to make that case, you shouldn't be using reviews as evidence that said product is worth buying. If this was a random sampling of reviews, then sure, I could let something like this slide, but it isn't. This is just a misrepresentation of critical opinion, and that is why using mostly no name sites is laughable...

Do you not see my point?

I'm still waiting for you to explain how the popularity of a website directly correlates to the quality of their review. Without that, your entire point is moot.

DucksUnlimited said:
sundin13 said:

If you are using reviews as a way of saying "my product is worth buying" and you have to resort to a bunch of sites no one has ever heard of in order to make that case, you shouldn't be using reviews as evidence that said product is worth buying. If this was a random sampling of reviews, then sure, I could let something like this slide, but it isn't. This is just a misrepresentation of critical opinion, and that is why using mostly no name sites is laughable...

Do you not see my point?

I'm still waiting for you to explain how the popularity of a website directly correlates to the quality of their review. Without that, your entire point is moot.

Well...no it isn't at all. I'll quote "Never" here:

"I'd say it's relevant only as a sign of how far they have to look for the positive reviews. 

I don't rate these opinons less than of an IGN or Gamspot reviewer; however, if they had to scoure the more obscoure sites on the web to find the positive reviews it highlights the many less flattering reviews which they decided not to advertise. 

On seeing that ad, I wouldn't have to go to IGN or gamespot to know it didn't score highly."

This is misrepresentive of the critical reception. Any game can find obscure sources to say that a game is good, even absolutely garbage games could if they looked deep enough...using big name reviewers only typically indicates that what the are showing is indicative of the average reception. These opinions are all acceptable as "opinions of people", but as an advertisement for the game, they are as good as worthless.

Yea this is pretty sad.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
toot1231 said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Those sites that gave out those 4 perfect scores need to shut down lol

this.

i think everyone (except those idiots) can agree that its not perfect.

I can agree that it's not perfect, but 100/100 doesn't really mean perfect in the video game reviewing industry.