By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony vs Microsoft double standards?

It's not double standards. Each move has been criticized and lauded by the respective factions, to deny that is selective perception.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Hypocrisy is the main ingredient in the console warz kool-aid. That, and salt.

Ka-pi96 said:
Maciveli said:
Those two things are not the same, bad attempt at making a fuss.

No, they aren't really the same. But people seem to be angry about how Microsoft have treated Activision, so did Sony not treat EA badly as well then? Why were people happy about them doing that but angry at Microsoft?

Two totally different things which do not need to be discussed.

Sony turned down EA. They did not want the deal and did not consider it a benefit to their community. Much like Titanfall it is up to Sony fans to demand both the game and the service and Sony will acquire the service from EA and the game from them as well. 

Microsoft started the whole DLC bullshit with COD, so if anyone wants to attack Sony for doing it they need to look no further than the company who started the DLC war.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Maciveli said:
Those two things are not the same, bad attempt at making a fuss.

No, they aren't really the same. But people seem to be angry about how Microsoft have treated Activision, so did Sony not treat EA badly as well then? Why were people happy about them doing that but angry at Microsoft?

Two totally different things which do not need to be discussed.

Sony turned down EA. They did not want the deal and did not consider it a benefit to their community. Much like Titanfall it is up to Sony fans to demand both the game and the service and Sony will acquire the service from EA and the game from them as well. 

Microsoft started the whole DLC bullshit with COD, so if anyone wants to attack Sony for doing it they need to look no further than the company who started the DLC war.

I'm sorry but Sony didn't want Titanfall, maybe they thought their consumers wouldn't find value in it. It seems they were wrong though. The DLC thing was exactly that bullsh*t no matter who does it. But some people from both camps praise one while bash the other for doing the same pratice. 

If we are comparing psuedo illegality to PR, yes I would say there is a double standard in how some are even considering the two might be equal.

Also this is can cause serious problems regarding trademark for Bungie.

Worse thing is it will probably result in a insignificant boost, probably one that doesn't justify the possible legal action Activision,Bungie, or Sony can pursue.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Or how about how, when the 360 had the most superior multi plats, no blu-ray, and the most indie titles, some people were all about it. Now that XBone has worse multi plats, those same people don't care. Now that XBone has Blu-ray, suddenly it's the greatest thing ever. Now that XBone has far worse indie support than the competition, suddenly indies become irrelevant. There's a particular group of fans that represent the definition of double standard.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Ka-pi96 said:

Good Tomb Raider example, that's the point I'm trying to make. I liked Microsoft's Destiny ad and I think it would be brilliant if Sony did something similar for Tomb Raider. The issue is that a lot of those criticising Microsoft's ad would probably praise Sony's one...

There is no issue just your bies opinion, probably is irrelevent.  Stick to facts not opinions as wannabe truths.  MS pulled a dumb pr move, if sony pulled it same would be said.  I don't know you how old or educated you are, but just cause you think it be brilliant does not make it so.  It was a dumb move that make they look like fools given their deals in the past and future and its makes then look like sore losers as far as Destiny is concerned.  

Well they aren't the same thing!

One is an opinion piece and the other is an illegal action, u know what i mean? hopefully!

Add me if u want :)

Blood_Tears said:
Puppyroach said:
I find it more interesting that it seems to be ok for Sony to buy exclusivity in marketing and content for a product (destiny) while it is from frowned up if MS does the same (Tomb Raider).

wow, you mean you really can't tell the difference between the two models of business?  or are you just trying to stir up shit?

Yeah it's quite surprising how some people cannot see major differences in some business models that are taking place.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Blood_Tears said:
Puppyroach said:
I find it more interesting that it seems to be ok for Sony to buy exclusivity in marketing and content for a product (destiny) while it is from frowned up if MS does the same (Tomb Raider).

wow, you mean you really can't tell the difference between the two models of business?  or are you just trying to stir up shit?

The methods differ, the mentality is the same. There are double standards in all of us gamers, but the sooner gamers realize that these companies first and foremost are after our money and do these things to reach their goals, the better.