By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony vs Microsoft double standards?

prinz_valium said:
ms = evil*
sony = good*

*right now, could Change ín future

It won't change anytime soon! I can assure you that!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
Mad55 said:
I agree and their definitely is a Bigger Bias against Microsoft overall. Sony basically said our consumers don't get a choice no Ea Access and their wasn't really any backlash.

Were you banned at the time?? The thread bashing Sony over it were a lot more hostile than the thread joking at MS for the Ad. You are having double standards in your judgement or memory.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:
On TR... what would people say if Sony just put an ad in their site "TR coming to PS4 in Summer 2016"??? Probably would piss MS because they avoid like hell to say it isn't exclusive. And the flack MS got for it is just from taking a game from PS4 with no real benefit to anyone, have Sony done it with any AAA game?

And regarding lawsuit... if Sony have a deal with Activision regarding the exclusive advertisment for the game they could sue MS because their contract prohibit MS from doing it (sure MS could allegate not knowing it, which is BS since they have those kind of contracts and Sony announced the deal) and anyway MS used trademark from Acti and/or the parfum and could be sued for it as well...

On the hypocrisis side, you are being more than most people by knowing the roles were reversed the same would happen, since sony got a lot of flack and support from the EA case and MS for this ad. It all relates to fanbase.

Good Tomb Raider example, that's the point I'm trying to make. I liked Microsoft's Destiny ad and I think it would be brilliant if Sony did something similar for Tomb Raider. The issue is that a lot of those criticising Microsoft's ad would probably praise Sony's one...

Sony can't sue Microsoft. Sony don't hold any of the rights or have any agreements with Microsoft about it. Only Activision/Bungie can do that. Sony could pretty much force them to sue Microsoft on their behalf but they couldn't sue them by themselves. Not as if it would get anywhere anyway. Microsoft would say they didn't intentionally break copyright, which they didn't because this was clearly an attempt to get around the copyright. So unless Activision could prove they intentionally broke copyright they couldn't really do much. Especially considering the ad only stayed up for a short time. If it was there for months maybe Activision could succesfully sue them, but it was up for just a few hours so not much they can really do. Activision probably did say to them take down that site, and Microsoft complied. Can't really sue them after that...

You're probably right, it's just a fanbase thing, but isn't that the problem in the first place?

Well the example is good because Sony decided to respect one of their partners and a competitor decided to made a deal (that in some way harm Sony). But MS couldn't hold itself over a  ad? For a case were they have the right for temporary they didn't announce it clearly, for the case they have no right they tried to let people know they have the fame? That is hypocritical on your side.

Sony can sue... if they have a contract with activision about the ad rights (the ad rights are now Sony right in this way) them anyone promoting the game that aint Sony can be sued by then. And as the other guy said, even a regular person could make a complaint to the regulatory chamber for ads. They wouldn't go that far probably, but they may document it and have someone at MS agree and them circunvent those kind of agreements the same way and be protected.

What is the problem? Sony fans defend Sony and Bash MS, MS fans defend MS and bash Sony? So the problem is you trying to say one side get double standard and the other not.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

OP doesnt make sense. Giving an opinion on something like Sony did on EA access isnt double standards. Every company has opinions on its competitors sometimes good, sometimes bad.

The reason why its double standards by MS is because they have a track record of popularising certain practises in the industry and then being bitter about it when the competitor starts doing it better than them. Contrastingly, EA access genuinely isnt better than PS+. We have had EA's biggest games like dead space 2 +3 and crysis 2 + 3 on PS+.

When MS signed a contract with Actvision that allowed Destiny on their console just like any game there were stipulations on MS ability to advertise that game. Just like when they signed a contract with Sony. Copyrights were infringed on and contracts were in danger of being breached if not completely so. It's seriously not healthy to continue to ignore/twist facts and reality in order to justify this. If it was clever or legal they wouldn't have taken it down so quickly, hell they would have plastered it everywhere like buses.

It is also in no way like the comments from one Sony employee on the value of EAA. One is the opinion of a single person that doesn't breach any laws/contracts. The other is the entire PR wing of Xbox breaching law/contracts with an Ad and then quickly removing it.

On the bright side in all this is at least good people(with questionable perspectives of reality/motives) have given all the good people of VGC more material for Memes. First we had "Globally in the US" now we have "The perfume Ad was clever, didn't breach any laws/contracts, and Sony does it all the time"

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mad55 said:
I agree and their definitely is a Bigger Bias against Microsoft overall. Sony basically said our consumers don't get a choice no Ea Access and their wasn't really any backlash.

Were you banned at the time?? The thread bashing Sony over it were a lot more hostile than the thread joking at MS for the Ad. You are having double standards in your judgement or memory.

Nope you would have to be lind to think that sony gets more heat than Microsoft on this forum. 

I don't get why so many Xbox fans I see have to stretch the truth of a situation just so they can twist it into a Sony Too case. Any logical gamer from another fan base, or one that is unbiased, can see these situations are 100% different. So, why stretch it? Sony offering its opinion about a service, which explains to their customers why they turned it down, is now the same as MS not honoring a contract. A contract similar to what they themselves have signed many times, and Sony has honored. Just sour grapes from MS's end.

And then to stretch it even further by bringing TR into it? Really? Was Destiny (and for the sake of this argument, let's pretend it's a sequel to a multiplat that sold the most on the One) announced as a multiplat, only for Sony to come along and snatch it up as a console exclusive for an undetermined amount of time? Nope, Xbox One's Destiny will be launching alongside the PS4 version. Again, quit stretching so much, you're going to pull a muscle.

Does anyone really care about it outside forum stans of either console? If not, then it really doesn't matter. EA Access is doing very well on the Xbox One despite Sony fans criticising it and threatening to boycott them and Destiny will do better on PS4 by a longshot despite the Xbox heads and fans trying to drum up a bit of controversy.

That's two different things. Sony was just criticizing the service of EA with reasonable arguments. On the other hand, Microsoft acted very unprofessionally by bypassing the marketing contract between Sony and Activision. Plus, doing that in a childish manner.

It's also kind of funny, because Microsoft has had similar marketing deals with other publishers for example for all the latest Call of Duty games. And recently even buying the rights of an established IP like Tomb Raider for a certain period of time.

Some of these argument got stretched beyond the limits of the universe. Surprised the thread did not get locked due to the insane amount of straight up lieing being spewed.
Holy shit.