By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony vs Microsoft double standards?

Ka-pi96 said:
DonFerrari said:
On TR... what would people say if Sony just put an ad in their site "TR coming to PS4 in Summer 2016"??? Probably would piss MS because they avoid like hell to say it isn't exclusive. And the flack MS got for it is just from taking a game from PS4 with no real benefit to anyone, have Sony done it with any AAA game?

And regarding lawsuit... if Sony have a deal with Activision regarding the exclusive advertisment for the game they could sue MS because their contract prohibit MS from doing it (sure MS could allegate not knowing it, which is BS since they have those kind of contracts and Sony announced the deal) and anyway MS used trademark from Acti and/or the parfum and could be sued for it as well...

On the hypocrisis side, you are being more than most people by knowing the roles were reversed the same would happen, since sony got a lot of flack and support from the EA case and MS for this ad. It all relates to fanbase.

Good Tomb Raider example, that's the point I'm trying to make. I liked Microsoft's Destiny ad and I think it would be brilliant if Sony did something similar for Tomb Raider. The issue is that a lot of those criticising Microsoft's ad would probably praise Sony's one...

Sony can't sue Microsoft. Sony don't hold any of the rights or have any agreements with Microsoft about it. Only Activision/Bungie can do that. Sony could pretty much force them to sue Microsoft on their behalf but they couldn't sue them by themselves. Not as if it would get anywhere anyway. Microsoft would say they didn't intentionally break copyright, which they didn't because this was clearly an attempt to get around the copyright. So unless Activision could prove they intentionally broke copyright they couldn't really do much. Especially considering the ad only stayed up for a short time. If it was there for months maybe Activision could succesfully sue them, but it was up for just a few hours so not much they can really do. Activision probably did say to them take down that site, and Microsoft complied. Can't really sue them after that...

You're probably right, it's just a fanbase thing, but isn't that the problem in the first place?

That's hilarious. You don't have to prove intent to break the law to hold someone accountable someone for breaking the law.  You only have to prove they know there is a law which applies to the situation. Indeed the fact that MS attempted, and failed, to skirt around the law means MS well and truly knows the law. The ignorance defence only works if you are ignorant of the law, not that you are ignorant about how the law would apply to that particular situation. MS knows they legally had no right to use Acti copyright or trademarked material, they attempted to create an ad that didn't infringe on those rights, but the ad ended up infringing because MS marketing people failed to get proper legal advice. That's actionable by Acti if they so choose.

In any copyright or trademark situation court is never the first port of call. The rights holder always, as a first step, asserts their rights to the one who is infringing. If the infringing party does not act to cease their infringement then courts and lawyers get involved. Clearly MS reponded to stop their infringing, and the matter ends there.

And the Tomb Raider thing would be a terrible idea for Sony unless and until Sony actually gets a publishing and promotion agreement from SE. Which of course will never come until after the exclusivity period has expired. Sony would be stupid beyond reason to start promoting TR on PS4 before they had permission to do so. Once Sony gets that permission then they can pretty much troll MS about TR "exclusivity" with impunity.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

So recently Microsoft have stealthily advertised Destiny with perfume, and that has come in for alot of criticism on the internet with some people calling it an insult to Activision/Sony.

Yet not too long ago Sony criticised EA Access by saying it was bad value and they (and all their costomers) didn't want it on their system. This was a more blatant insult to EA/Microsoft. Yet was praised by some.

So is this a case of double standards? Sony get praise for doing something, while Microsoft get attacked for it?

Update: Microsoft are effectively being criticised for a clever marketing ploy to bring people in and then text saying that Destiny is actually an upcoming game and links to retailer websites to buy the game. That really is LESS of an advert to what's on the Xbox homepage. Check it out below. I'd be willing to bet Sony will/have before advertise games that Microsoft have exclusive marketing deals for on their website before, how is that any different to the Destiny fragrance website?

You're missing the point of why people call it petty. It's like, "so we can't show it on our system, well MEEH!" It makes them look like little children that can't accept the fact that they lost. It could also easily be argued that this will hurt MS's brand recognition.  That's why people are calling it petty. The situation with sony and EA all access is completely different, Sony was approached by EA, and sony said no. Their justification being that it was a blatant rip off (which it's not clear that it is). Also, I wouldn't be surprised of Bungie approached Microsoft first about an advertisement deal given the history between them.

But this isn't a double standard because it's just two different situations. Now, here would be a double standard. If sony started relleasing sunsest overdrive slam ads, and they were being hailed as clever and funny. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Pipedream24 said:
Microsoft did nothing wrong. I'm pretty sure that Activision nor Sony own the Word "Destiny". They are advertising a fragrance named Destiny. Whatever conclusions people draw is on them. And in the end, Microsoft accomplished exactly what they intended. The internet is buzzing about Destiny on Xbox One. It was extremely well played by them.

Also, I'm pretty sure Microsoft has a huge legal team. I would assume this was run by them before it was done.

It's quite funny actually, they really didn't do anything wrong. They advertised the fragrance and then said, actually it's an upcoming FPS game, then had links to retailers to buy it. Funniest thing is, clicking on the Xbox website and straight on the first page is Destiny... so yeah, there fragrance thing is a lot less adverty than their own Xbox page...

I love clever advertising like this regardless of where it comes from. This reminds me of when Taco Bell introduced their breakfast menu here in the US. They had all those people named "Ronald McDonald" saying they liked the Crunchwrap. Everyone knew exactly what they were implying and what the message was. These commercials ran for a month plus on National TV and there was nothing McDonald's could do about it. So everyone who keeps saying Microsoft broke a trademark law really need to stop.

Ka-pi96 said:

Just thought this would be worth showing...

Sony used the Nintendo name in their advert! Breach of copyright! They broke the law! Sony are evil!   (sarcasm by the way )

Going back a little further... "Sega does what Nintendon't"  :)

Ka-pi96 said:

So recently Microsoft have stealthily advertised Destiny with perfume, and that has come in for alot of criticism on the internet with some people calling it an insult to Activision/Sony.

Yet not too long ago Sony criticised EA Access by saying it was bad value and they (and all their costomers) didn't want it on their system. This was a more blatant insult to EA/Microsoft. Yet was praised by some.

So is this a case of double standards? Sony get praise for doing something, while Microsoft get attacked for it?

Update: Microsoft are effectively being criticised for a clever marketing ploy to bring people in and then text saying that Destiny is actually an upcoming game and links to retailer websites to buy the game. That really is LESS of an advert to what's on the Xbox homepage. Check it out below. I'd be willing to bet Sony will/have before advertise games that Microsoft have exclusive marketing deals for on their website before, how is that any different to the Destiny fragrance website?

There is a difference between this add and a feature that has the potential to introduce a new way of big publishers to milk IP. This will not end well for MS not on a consumer standpoint but could very well effect there relationship with Activision. 

Around the Network

Microsoft always seems to be viewed as the bad guy of the party. Sony, I think, has a more neutral feeling. One day they can be the heroes of the industry, next day they are a bunch of d=bags who can't run a proper online service and so on.

There is a double standard, which MS suffers more from, I can admit to that. I thought the fragrance gag was funny and EA is a bad value.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Ka-pi96 said:
Areym said:
Microsoft always seems to be viewed as the bad guy of the party. Sony, I think, has a more neutral feeling. One day they can be the heroes of the industry, next day they are a bunch of d=bags who can't run a proper online service and so on.

There is a double standard, which MS suffers more from, I can admit to that. I thought the fragrance gag was funny and EA is a bad value.

Thanks, that's the exact point I was trying to make.

It seems some people got caught up in the example though, that's my fault for not having the best of examples, but at least some people see the point I'm trying to make

I thought it was common knowledge honestly. Granted, MS have hurt their own reputation his new gen since the start but they have always fallen into the "evil" catergory, for no real good reason.

People just wanna fuss and its fun to hate on MS right now, so it's not suprise if people are just looking for any reason to put them dwn.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

thismeintiel said:

I don't get why so many Xbox fans I see have to stretch the truth of a situation just so they can twist it into a Sony Too case. Any logical gamer from another fan base, or one that is unbiased, can see these situations are 100% different. So, why stretch it? Sony offering its opinion about a service, which explains to their customers why they turned it down, is now the same as MS not honoring a contract. A contract similar to what they themselves have signed many times, and Sony has honored. Just sour grapes from MS's end.

And then to stretch it even further by bringing TR into it? Really? Was Destiny (and for the sake of this argument, let's pretend it's a sequel to a multiplat that sold the most on the One) announced as a multiplat, only for Sony to come along and snatch it up as a console exclusive for an undetermined amount of time? Nope, Xbox One's Destiny will be launching alongside the PS4 version. Again, quit stretching so much, you're going to pull a muscle.

Yeah thats the default defence mechanism some people like to use. Try and find something which is somewhat similar, which might have happened a month, a year or a decade ago and assume no-one hated Sony for it, but everyone is hating MS for it.

If people cant form a reasonable defence, its pointless just saying 'oh the other company did something similar ages ago so its ok that MS are doing it'. That excuse didnt even work at primary school and it doesnt work anywhere else.

FW Alt Removed, Carl

Areym said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Areym said:

Thanks, that's the exact point I was trying to make.

It seems some people got caught up in the example though, that's my fault for not having the best of examples, but at least some people see the point I'm trying to make

I thought it was common knowledge honestly. Granted, MS have hurt their own reputation his new gen since the start but they have always fallen into the "evil" catergory, for no real good reason.

People just wanna fuss and its fun to hate on MS right now, so it's not suprise if people are just looking for any reason to put them dwn.

Theres always reasons why certain products perform better than others. You might disagree with those reasons, but that doesnt mean they are wrong especially since this gen most of them are ethical issues like DRM and marketing.

If you think people are hating on MS for fun, i'm sorry but youre wrong.