By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Nintendo convince its fans to buy 3rd party games?

freebs2 said:

If you think a company doesn't like getting money from royalties you are losing the sense of reality.

Their consoles have different designs because they know they can't just compete with Sony offering a similar product, they have tried it with GC amd they failed. It's not a matter of "philosophies".

Well, the Wii U being different isn't helping matters now is it?   The original Wii's success was a fluke and Nintendo thought they could catch lighting twice by making another underpowered console with a gimmick attached to it and it backfired.

The Gamecube didn't have DVD playback, online, and used stupid 1.5GB discs. Also, Nintendo didn't approach third party developers in creating games for their console back when they were originally designing it.  They sent out only a small number of dev kits very late in the process. It left a bitter feeling in third party developers minds. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

By diversifying their own 1st/2nd party output.

If say .... Halo was a Nintendo in-house IP, I'd venture a bet that things like COD/Battlefield would probably sell better on their platforms.

Nintendo is the only big publisher that doesn't have a AAA blockbuster IP aimed specifically at older players. Konami has Metal Gear, Activision had Call of Duty, Ubi Soft has Assassin's Creed, Square-Enix has Final Fantasy/Tomb Raider, EA has Madden/Battlefield/FIFA, Take 2 has Grand Theft Auto, etc. 

The closest thing Nintendo has is Metroid, and Metroid simply isn't a big seller (really has not been for 20 years now). 

The reason third parties still keep bringing out things like LEGO, Sonic, Just Dance, Skylanders is because the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's own content is cartoony/mascot based titles or party games.

I like this thinking. I once posted how I wished Nintendo bought Capcom, not only for its IPs, but to have an avenue to release mature content. I likened it to Disney and Touchstone. It would allow parents to safely buy 'Nintendo', Disney, but have the more risque content CLEARLY under the Capcom banner. The other idea is simply create another developer title to release mature content through, BUT again make it abundantly clear 'only on Nintendo' system. Bayonetta, The Devil's Third could be the start. I truly believe this is THE answer. They may have ti buy themselves into mature 3rd party content too. Subsidize studios costs to make sure it is released for their platform AND that it is a strong port. However, I DO NOT want to see the 'Nintendo' side change! Not one bit! That is paramount. They have to stay true to themselves and the established IPs and quality!

Fusioncode said:

Then explain why nobody bought ACIV? It was a great game, released at the same time as the 360 and PS3 versions, hell it released well before the PS4 and XBO versions, yet it still sold incredibly poorly.

You've answered your own question.

I am a Nintendo only owner, but I wouldn't consider myself a Nintendo fan. I buy games I like and I don't care where they are developed or who published them. I almost stopped gaming all toghether before the Wii because gaming was becomming more and more infected with the attitude that AC IV is a great game. In my taste Assassins Creed is borderline unplayable; and I did buy both III and IV unfortunately.

Nintendo does their thing, they have a philosophy of what kinds of games they make and they do it. Better than anyone else. It also aligns much better with what I am looking for from a video game then most other developers. Result? I buy many Nintendo games, tons of indie games and some 3rd party games. It's not Nintendo's responsibility to get me to buy anything other than their own games. A much better question would be: "What should third parties do to get Nintendo fans to buy their games?". If Bungie spent their time on a great looking local multi player sack racing sim I'd be all over it, instead they are working on some tripe first person shooter thing probably with a "deep story" single player campaign as well. The kind of stuff I can't stand. Why should I buy it? To encourage thrid parties to make more games that I don't like? Where's all the complaining that Naughty Dog needs to diversify what they are doing and stop producing the same game over and over? Where are the games I want from these devlopers? You will never see me make that asinine argument because it's retarded. Companies are responsible for making a product and marketing it and then the people who like it will buy it.

I never buy more than one console, and I never will. So, as a result I will not play a number of games no matter what system I buy. So my decission is guided by where I will find the most games I'll enjoy. To me that system is teh Wii U and so I don't spend one second sweating over missing out on games. In all honesty, the only game I am missing that I would have bought if it was available on Wii U is a hockey sim. I am not going to buy another system to play one hockey game though.

Poliwrathlord said:
First Nintendo should tell/pay 3rd party developers to put their games on their console and then they should have Nintendo Direct solely about 3rd party games and tell Nintendo gamers they should buy them.

Just Nintendo telling me to buy mediocre annual crap wont make me buy mediocre annual crap.

If you are talking about stuff like LegoCityUndercover tho which was great (its framerate was shit tho) this might be a different story. I am going to buy Bayonetta2+1 and also Devils third.

The problem I and alot of other Nintendo owners I know have is the following: We feel value oriented. We dont buy a console game when the same game is on PC because we can get the PC version 1 year later for 5 bucks on steam (I do have 600 steam games now).

I would only consider buying a third party game on a Nintendo console (or my PS3/360/PS4) if:

1) it is not crippled or delayed(old) at all (missing modes etc. Also not buying it if 1 system gets exclusive content like AC on Playstation)
2) it is making use of its hardware (WiiU having same or worse performance than e.g. 360 version = lazyness = no thanks)
3) It is not allowed to be an annual franchise or sports game. (devalues the franchise and the prior game)
4)it is not allowed to be DLC/cashgrab infested and has to be a complete/almost complete experience.
5) it has to focus more on gameplay than on visuals since its a game not a movie. GTA5 on PS3 running at 25fps is a insult to gamers and the game itself! TLoU running at 18fps on PS3 also was.
6) it has to be visually appealing. Killzone Shadowfall looks great amd fresh. GreyBrown crap shooter looks boring.
7) it has to keep its value. If a developer thinks "only sales during first 3 months count everything else does not matter to us" and as a result the game gets heavily discounted why would I buy the game full price at all? It gets cheaper so I wait. If Nintendo games would start to get so heavily discounted i would also stop buying NIntendo games until they reach their typical discount price. I mean the dev thinks its only worth X money so why would I pay more for it?
8) It again has to be either console exclusive (also coming to other systems) or system exclusive (not coming to any other system at all). The more exclusive a game is the better because if it comes to PC it is only worth 5 bucks 1 year later. And if it is on several systems the game automatically has to compete not only with games on that one system but with every game on every system. And e.g Rayman will also get a discount on WiiU if the PS3 version gets a discount due to competition on that PS3 system or because Ubisoft knows that the PS userbase expects a discount.
9) It has to have a fair price. Almost all Wiiu launch games were 70 bucks. Darksiders2 ZombiU etc all were 70 bucks instead of 60. This was one of the reasons the launch games didnt sell well. if the same game is cheaper on another system I wont buy it.
10) A franchise has to establish itself before I invest money into it. If games like COD come and go all the time why would I start to buy that game on WiiU? I have no guarantee that the next installment is coming so I ignore that game. After all the "burning" and "dissapointment" third party has to show that they really try. Noone is going to buy a game made by studio X if all prior games were a dissapointment or if every second game in the series skips the system. The longer devs are absent from NIntendo the more time and money they have to invest into fixing that problem. Why do Capcom game still sell relatively well? They offer constant support and dont tell the Nintendo userbase "you dont need me" like other devs/pubs do.
11) dont treat me like a second class citizen. DragonQuest MMO, DragonQuest on rails, DeadSpace on rails, Resident evil on rails  is not what I want.

I mainly buy japanese games and niche titles I couldn't care less about dudebro games and western DLC etc.

The only shooters I somewhat enjoyed in the last few years were FarCry3 and Borderlands 1+2  on steam . They dont try to look uberrealistic and especially Borderlands is really different and awesome.  On consoles I bought DragonsDogma (its a great game and if it would get a WiiU exclusive sequel I would buy that day1 having it on multiple consoles automatically will make it drop in price to 30 bucks in no time so I would buy it for 30 bucks and if it would get a PC release I would wait for it to hit 5 bucks on steam)

90% of my PS3 and 360 games are PS3 or 360 exclusive. The other 10% are multi-console exclusive. The only games I have on consoles that are also on steam are games that had no info on a PC release at all like Darksiders 1. There was no word on a PC version at all and when the PC version came out I was mad because I wasted money on the console version especially since it is inferior and not moddable.

Long story short
. I buy good non mainstrean  non-sub-par games for the price they are worth. I am NOT buying games during the first 3 months. And third party mindset is the reason why I skip their games or wait for a discount. (Best example: JRPGs were 50 bucks or gone forever (like xenobalde did in the US) and I bought them for 60 bucks. Now that most of them (atlus,SquareEnix or TalesOf...) drop to 20 bucks and most get a reprint/relaunch I automatcally wait for the sub30 pricetag)

I dont like wasting money and everytime I buy a game that gets a price cut 1 month later I say "fuck this shit" The more exclusive a game is the more value it has. The more value a game has the more reason I have to buy it and the more money I am willing to spend on it.

baloofarsan said:

To get to an attach ratio at the end of the generation of ten games sold per console, there should at least be twice as many to choose from as each gamer is different.

Let's see if Nintendo can dig up enough First Party games:

Mario Kart, Mario 2D, Mario 3D, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Mario Party, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, WarioWare, Kirby, Yoshi, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Pikmin, Mario Golf, Fire Emblem, Pilotwings, Starfox, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon, Nintendogs, Kid Icarus, Mario Tennis, Golden Sun, Mario Strikers, Art Academy, Style Savvy, Wii Party...

...and even more! That's almost 30 games just there! 

Now let's look at Sony:

Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Resistance, MotorStorm, Killzone, inFAMOUS, God of War, Ratchet & Clank.

Now let's look at MS:

Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza!

Conclusion! Nintendo is pushing away Third Party because they have too much First Party!

The attachment ratio right now is 5.5  http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/

because that are clearly all games sony and ms have themselves

Around the Network
impertinence said:
Fusioncode said:

Then explain why nobody bought ACIV? It was a great game, released at the same time as the 360 and PS3 versions, hell it released well before the PS4 and XBO versions, yet it still sold incredibly poorly.

I am a Nintendo only owner, but I wouldn't consider myself a Nintendo fan. I buy games I like and I don't care where they are developed or who published them. I almost stopped gaming all toghether before the Wii because gaming was becomming more and more infected with the attitude that AC IV is a great game. In my taste Assassins Creed is borderline unplayable; and I did buy both III and IV unfortunately.

Nintendo does their thing, they have a philosophy of what kinds of games they make and they do it. Better than anyone else. It also aligns much better with what I am looking for from a video game then most other developers. Result? I buy many Nintendo games, tons of indie games and some 3rd party games. It's not Nintendo's responsibility to get me to buy anything other than their own games. A much better question would be: "What should third parties do to get Nintendo fans to buy their games?". If Bungie spent their time on a great looking local multi player sack racing sim I'd be all over it, instead they are working on some tripe first person shooter thing probably with a "deep story" single player campaign as well. The kind of stuff I can't stand. Why should I buy it? To encourage thrid parties to make more games that I don't like? Where's all the complaining that Naughty Dog needs to diversify what they are doing and stop producing the same game over and over? Where are the games I want from these devlopers? You will never see me make that asinine argument because it's retarded. Companies are responsible for making a product and marketing it and then the people who like it will buy it.

I never buy more than one console, and I never will. So, as a result I will not play a number of games no matter what system I buy. So my decission is guided by where I will find the most games I'll enjoy. To me that system is teh Wii U and so I don't spend one second sweating over missing out on games. In all honesty, the only game I am missing that I would have bought if it was available on Wii U is a hockey sim. I am not going to buy another system to play one hockey game though.

So the answer is 3rd parties should suit their games around your personal tastes? ACIV was a well reviewed and well liked game that sold very poorly on WiiU. You may not have liked but it managed to find success on other platforms so why not the WiiU? If 3rd parties can sell their games on other systems there is no reason why they can't on Nintendo consoles unless Nintendo fans have been conditioned to only buy exclusives. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
impertinence said:

So the answer is 3rd parties should suit their games around your personal tastes? ACIV was a well reviewed and well liked game that sold very poorly on WiiU. You may not have liked but it managed to find success on other platforms so why not the WiiU? If 3rd parties can sell their games on other systems there is no reason why they can't on Nintendo consoles unless Nintendo fans have been conditioned to only buy exclusives. 

The game sold poorly on the Wii U becuase the people who buy a Wii U don't give a shit about that game. If they want to sell games on the Wii U they need to make games people want, not whine about people not buying their games. If they want to be very successful they probably should diversify their development and branch out and deliver different experiences on the Wii U.

Why don't they? Because they are not good at making games, they are comfortable blowing up the production value and features of what they have already done, they are not comfortable trying to create things more people will enjoy. The third parties that are now abandoning the Wii U are the game houses that try to push 'artistic vision' and other buzz words to sell their games to tech geeks. This will most likely reduce gaming to a niche hobby or lead to another crash as the market is not growing nearly quickly enough to sustain going for that bleeding edge, or indie games will rise and sanity returns.

Fusioncode said:

Never going to happen. 3rd parties don't need Nintendo. Nintendo needs 3rd parties.

I like your attitude, but is a lost cause, Nintendo fans nitpick every aspect of the game, "look it runs at 2 less frames than in the other version, what a piece of ****", "it does not have the DLC that I will never buy anyway, what a ****** port", "It came 2 months later, why bother somebody else in the world already played it", they want the best version or nothing at all, and 3rd party will not put their A team when the sales don't support that economical decision.

flagstaad said:
Fusioncode said:

Never going to happen. 3rd parties don't need Nintendo. Nintendo needs 3rd parties.

I like your attitude, but is a lost cause, Nintendo fans nitpick every aspect of the game, "look it runs at 2 less frames than in the other version, what a piece of ****", "it does not have the DLC that I will never buy anyway, what a ****** port", "It came 2 months later, why bother somebody else in the world already played it", they want the best version or nothing at all, and 3rd party will not put their A team when the sales don't support that economical decision.

Yup. I've always get a strange sense of elitism from a lot of WiiU owners. Not everyone of course but still. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Fusioncode said:
archer9234 said:
Honestly they have pay the 3rd party games to get on the system. There's no other way. In till Nintendo users see the 3rd party games come out at the SAME TIME, nerfed in no way (besides graphics), and the online functions with close to 100% the other system do it. That is what it would take to convert people to buy them again. Nintendo has to accept certain things they do is wrong.

Getting 3rd party games on the platform isn't the problem. Nintendo had quite a bit of support when the WiiU launched. It's getting their fans to buy the games. 

I think its sort of a myth that Wii U had strong 3rd party support at launch or at least games that had any chance of selling well.

EA Sports-from what I here the Wii U versions of these games were absolutely garbage.

Mass Effect 3-a late port that released at the same time as the trilogy for PS3/360. Why would anybody spend $60 for a game when the other consoles get the entire series for the same price? That is a slap in the face to Wii U owners.

Ninja Gaiden 3-late port of a game that didnt sell well to begin with.

Tekken Tag 2-released only 2 months after PS3/360 version so wouldnt really call it a late port but it didnt sell very well on PS3/360 with a 150m+ Install base so no reason to believe it would on a console that just released.

Arkham City-year old port, sold more than the year old ports on Xbox One so must not have done too bad.

Darksiders II-slightly late port of a game that didnt sell that much on PS3/360 either.

Assassin's Creed/Call of Duty are really the only ones that had a shot of doing anything decent.

So while u could argue that 3rd party support was alright at launch, what about after launch? The only notable multiplats to release from Jan-July were Injustice and Resident Evil Revelations while PS3/360 got Aliens, DMC, Dead Space 3, Bioshock, Metal Gear Rising, Dead Island, along with Injustice & Resident Evil and probably some other big ones im missing.

So third parties mostly released a couple games that had little chance of selling well then pulled support when said games didnt sell. The majority of multiplats to release on Wii U were either 6 month or older ports, games that didnt sell very well im general, or had missing features. Not a single third party company has really given strong support to Wii U.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.