By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Nintendo convince its fans to buy 3rd party games?

padib said:
@masked. Did you read my whole post?

Yes.  Are you reading mine?

Around the Network

They could allocate their advertising budget to promote 3rd party games. But I doubt they would do that since they're desperate to sell their own games atm.

Fusioncode said:

So in one of my earlier threads I theorized that Nintendo's main problem with 3rd party support is that their core fanbase only buys Nintendo exclusives. Which is precisely why publishers avoid the WiiU and Nintendo consoles in general. In a way Nintendo's own fans are their worst enemy. So how does Nintendo fix this? How do they get the people who only care about Mario, Zelda etc. to start buying games like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. Should they release less exclusives? Get advertising and DLC deals like Sony and MS do. Go all out and purchase a major 3rd party game like Microsoft did with Tomb Raider? Imagine if the next Mass Effect or Fallout was a WiiU exclusive? 

And keep in mind I'm not attacking Nintendo fans here, I'm just stating that it's a major problem for the company if their core audience only cares about Nintendo exclusives. Nintendo needs to find a way to condition their fans to start buying other types of games. 

Thoughts? 

The only way after Nintendos history that they can fix this mess is to make a competitive console with the Playstation and Xbox. If they all share similar hardware third party fans will be forced to spread to the grounds where they truly feel safest. Nintendo thinks their first party can save them forever. It cannot. 

Nintendo's problem stems from their history with third parties which makes them look like a very controlling company ( seriously, look up their history). They dont listen to anyone but themselves nor trust anyone outside of themselves. This leaves very little room for the opinion of third party when third party are a major reason why the Playstation and Xbox and even the Nintendo were so popular. It was their sea of games that helped lead the platform manufacturers to success in the industry outside of their first and second party. Because they had competition third party saw fit to ignore Nintendo if they wouldnt comply. They no longer had to live under Nintendo's rule after the Playstation made its debut and took over the mindshare of audiences around the world and then the marketshare. Third parties follow marketshare which is why Sega couldnt get them from Nintendo until it was too late.

Conclusion: Because Nintendo gained formidable competition outside of Sega third parties flocked to Sony and later Microsoft. They werent going to put up with Nintendo. Because of this for twenty Years Nintendo gamers have been trained to buy Nintendo for strictly first party.