By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Nintendo convince its fans to buy 3rd party games?

Fusioncode said:
Roma said:
Fusioncode said:
Roma said:
it's not their job to make us buy those it's the turd parties job to make en effort. do quality work, do not release game later at a higher price when others have have them for cheaper. do not release the last installment and then announce other ports of the previous games on other platforms.

seriously anyone thinking it is Nintendoes job are clearly ignorant!

Well if we stick with this sort of attitude then Nintendo is never going to any 3rd party support. Is that what you want?

or third parties can change their attitude and we start buying their games.

Never going to happen. 3rd parties don't need Nintendo. Nintendo needs 3rd parties

I disagree. 

Even with poor 3rd-party support the N64 and GC were commercially successful. They may have sold less than the competition in terms of numbers, but they made Nintendo a lot of money. The original Xbox out-sold the GC but the GC made Nintendo money while the Xbox lost Microsoft billions. The Wii didn't get much AAA third party support and mostly got cheap games and shovelware but still made Nintendo tons of money. 

Nintendo can be self-reliant and make money on selling its hardware and 1st & 2nd party software, while any 3rd party support that jumps on can just be a bonus. 

3rd party =/= success. The PS3 bled money for years and the Xbox division has not posted an overall profit. 

Around the Network
gingergaymer said:
Fusioncode said:
Roma said:

or third parties can change their attitude and we start buying their games.

Never going to happen. 3rd parties don't need Nintendo. Nintendo needs 3rd parties

I disagree. 

Even with poor 3rd-party support the N64 and GC were commercially successful. They may have sold less than the competition in terms of numbers, but they made Nintendo a lot of money. The original Xbox out-sold the GC but the GC made Nintendo money while the Xbox lost Microsoft billions. The Wii didn't get much AAA third party support and mostly got cheap games and shovelware but still made Nintendo tons of money. 

Nintendo can be self-reliant and make money on selling its hardware and 1st & 2nd party software, while any 3rd party support that jumps on can just be a bonus. 

3rd party =/= success. The PS3 bled money for years and the Xbox division has not posted an overall profit. 

The Gamecube never made Nintendo money. It was sold at a loss for most of its lifespan. They only profited at the time because of their strong success in the handheld space. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

gingergaymer said:

I disagree. 

Are you sure about that? all those cheap games and shovelware paid to Nintendo a royalty fee, around 8-10 U$ for each copy they produced that is why all the other companies are willing to lose money building an install base of million of user, so 3rd parties put their games on their system and they get royalties, if they got a good balance between how much they are losing with the console and how much they are earning with the licenses. In the N64 and Gamecube era,Nintendo was losing a little on the hardware but they had enough loyalties and sales to compensate and actually make money, the Wii era was a win/win for Nintendo both the Hardware and software wasw making money for them. The Wii U era is a lose/lose situation, they were losing money on the hardware and the lack of 3rd party royalties is making them report loses every quarter, THEY NEED THE 3RD MORE THAN EVER.

Productions like DK:TF with less than 650k sales, The Viewtiful 101 with less than 250k and Ninja Gaiden 3 with less than 60k where all big loses for the company.

Fusioncode said:

The Gamecube never made Nintendo money. It was sold at a loss for most of its lifespan. They only profited at the time because of their strong success in the handheld space. 

I believe the GC lost money at launch but moved to breaking even the same year, so it did start to make money. And the GC still sold a ton of 1st/2nd party software which made money for Nintendo. 

Most of their profits from that era were from the handhelds, but not all of it. 

flagstaad said:
gingergaymer said:

I disagree. 

Are you sure about that? all those cheap games and shovelware paid to Nintendo a royalty fee, around 8-10 U$ for each copy they produced that is why all the other companies are willing to lose money building an install base of million of user, so 3rd parties put their games on their system and they get royalties, if they got a good balance between how much they are losing with the console and how much they are earning with the licenses. In the N64 and Gamecube era,Nintendo was losing a little on the hardware but they had enough loyalties and sales to compensate and actually make money, the Wii era was a win/win for Nintendo both the Hardware and software wasw making money for them. The Wii U era is a lose/lose situation, they were losing money on the hardware and the lack of 3rd party royalties is making them report loses every quarter, THEY NEED THE 3RD MORE THAN EVER.

Productions like DK:TF with less than 650k sales, The Viewtiful 101 with less than 250k and Ninja Gaiden 3 with less than 60k where all big loses for the company.

The 3rd parties on the Wii made Nintendo a lot of money, sure. But my point is that the Wii would still have been massively profitable without them. Nintendo can, and has, sustained profits off their consoles without good 3rd party support. 

The Wii U is not indicative of Nintendo's business model as a whole though. Losing money on one console (each unit is now sold at a profit I believe) and losing money overall for one generation (it's still possible the Wii U will eventually break even or post a small profit, it's too early to tell at this point) doesn't mean they can't return to profitability without good 3rd party support. 

Nintendo was largely self-sustaining on their consoles from the N64 to the Wii through a combination of hardware and software sales. If Nintendo can release a console next time that is either sold at a profit or not much of a loss initially and sell good software numbers, they will make money. The Wii U's financial problems are a combination of numerous screw-ups that are bigger than lack of 3rd party support. 

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
I think it's too late for this system.

No, is not. But the problem is: Nintendo don't care

Click HERE and be happy 

EricFabian said:
Mystro-Sama said:

It kinda is. Even if Nintendo manages to scrounge up a decent install base third parties still wouldn't come because the hardware isn't up to par to handle PS4/X1 multiplats.

Mystro-Sama said:
EricFabian said:
Mystro-Sama said:

It kinda is. Even if Nintendo manages to scrounge up a decent install base third parties still wouldn't come because the hardware isn't up to par to handle PS4/X1 multiplats.

this should not be a problem. Remember PS2? 

Click HERE and be happy 

EricFabian said:
Mystro-Sama said:
EricFabian said:
Mystro-Sama said:

this should not be a problem. Remember PS2? 

Yup, I remember that the PS2 had massive lead on the competition and the hardware gap wasn't this large.

I will only buy multiplats if

1) I care about the game
2) It isn't a noticeably inferior version

I got Tekken Tag 2 for Wii U because I care about the game and it was as good or even better than the PS3 and Xbox360 version.

I would have bought Ultra Street Fighter 4 and Dark Souls 2, 2 last gen games, if they had been ported to Wii U.

Basically, no one will buy many third party games until Nintendo makes another powerful console.

I think next time, before making their new console, Nintendo should ask Square Enix how powerful their new console should be to run their next Final Fantasy, ask NAMCO about how poweful their console has to be to run the new Tekken, ask Capcom the same, ask Sega has powerful their console has to be to run the next Virtua Fighter etc.

Assasin Creed and COD are a lost cause, but Nintendo should get all the games of the japanese companies.