By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Nintendo convince its fans to buy 3rd party games?

Tagged!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
You really cant blame 3rd parties or even expect them to care at this point. Titles like Street Fighter IV (3.90 PS3, 2.78m 360), Tekken 6 (2.65m PS3, 1.24m 360), Battlefield 4 (2.97m 360, 2.02m PS4, 1.42m x1, 2.83m PS3) and CoD: Ghosts (8.90m 360, 1.93m X1, 2.47m PS4, 8.20m PS3) sell so well on other platforms. Smaller titles like Naruto and Tales games usually hit north of 600K on one or both SKUs. More and more Japanese games are selling well on PC as well as evidenced by Street Fighter X Tekken, Metal Gear Solid V, King of Fighters, Dynasty Warriors and Naruto coming to Steam. These type of games usually fail to crack 300k on the WiiU . Really why should any company go out of their way to cater to a such as small base of customers who never seem to give a damn regardless. There really is no point. PS4 + XBox One + PC is were most devs will focus on this generation, that's all there is to it.

You make a very good point. 

I have a question as I do not have a gaming PC thus do not use Steam. I have got the feeling that sales are very good on Steam because of frequent sales. Is the revenue for developers on Steam good or are they on Steam because "that's the place to be"?

As for the Tales and Naruto games: I do not know enough about these franchise but it seems they have a following on all platforms. Some are only released in Japan for some reason. (There is a difference in install base between platforms but it is not that big)

Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution     Wii     2007     1.01 million

Naruto Shippuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution III     Wii 2009     0.49 million

Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution 2     Wii     2008     0.38 million

Naruto Shippuden: Dragon Blade Chronicles     Wii     2009     0.17 million

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2     X360     2010     0.74 million

Naruto: The Broken Bond     X360     2008     0.57 million

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja STORM Generations     X360     2012     0.42 million

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3     X360     2013     0.42 million

Naruto: Rise of a Ninja     X360     2007     0.31 million

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storom 2     PS3     2010     1.17 million

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm     PS3     2008     1.03 million

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3     PS3     2013     0.79 million

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja STORM Generations     PS3     2012     0.69 million

------------------------

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World     Wii     2008     0.51 million

Tales of Graces     Wii     2009     0.22 million (Japan only)

Tales of Vesperia     X360     2008     0.69 million

Tales of Xillia     PS3     2011     1.12 million

Tales of Graces f     PS3    2010     0.88 million

Tales of Xillia 2     PS3     2012     0.45 million (Japan only)

Tales of Vesperia     PS3     2009     0.43 million (Japan only)

Tales of Symphonia     PS3     2013     0.35 million

Nexus7 said:
freebs2 said:

If you think a company doesn't like getting money from royalties you are losing the sense of reality.

Their consoles have different designs because they know they can't just compete with Sony offering a similar product, they have tried it with GC amd they failed. It's not a matter of "philosophies".

Well, the Wii U being different isn't helping matters now is it?   The original Wii's success was a fluke and Nintendo thought they could catch lighting twice by making another underpowered console with a gimmick attached to it and it backfired.

The Gamecube didn't have DVD playback, online, and used stupid 1.5GB discs. Also, Nintendo didn't approach third party developers in creating games for their console back when they were originally designing it.  They sent out only a small number of dev kits very late in the process. It left a bitter feeling in third party developers minds. 

Yeah right, 100m conosoles sold and 140m handleds are a fluke... Of course making a different console dosen't mean you'll automatically win, Wii was successfull because the company made the right decisions at the time: the product advantage was clear to the everage joe, the right price compared to competition, right marketing, the right combination of games to keep the former fanbase satisfied and get a positive feedback. Now if you look at WiiU you'll see they've made bad decisions in every department.

You are making things up here. The Ps2 didn't have decent online either, and DVD wasn't a major selling point. The Ps2 won because of games, the DVD market expanded because of the Ps2, not the contrary. GC was a better console to develop for than Ps2, it was significantly more powerfull also its power was easier to exploit, in fact at the beginning the GC had good 3rd party support. The Ps2 for comparison had a very exotic architecture which gave developers some problems, in fact in the early years Ps2 had worse ports of multiplatform games than the Dreamcast (Dead Or Alive 2, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3: Arena, Le Mans 24h to make some examples).

In the end it didn't matter the Ps2 was still riding the wave of Ps1 plus it had great marketing, the right 1st party games and they sealed the right 3rd party exclusives to crush the competiton (Gran Turismo 3, Final Fantasy X, GTA 3). That's why GC gradually lost support, because of sales, not because of the hardware.

hsrob said:

I think the mistake here is assuming that Nintendo's business model and aspirations can and should be anything like Sony or MS.

That links to the common consensus that WiiU's third party support has been better than the Wii's, it hasn't for me.

My current WiiU third party stands at 25%, while during the Wii generation it was always around 50%.

Off to re-do an old thread.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

AZWification said:

Well, you can't really blame someone for not wanting to buy a late port, no? I mean, what's the point of doing that when you can just buy the versions that are already out? :S

The problem is that they dismiss the late EVEN if they don't have anywhere else to play it, I manage a Wii U forum and a lot of people only have the Wii U as their console, but they are not interesed in any old port, they rather not play the game that give the chance to the late port.

Around the Network

Aside from making a system on par with their competitors from stand points such as graphical power, computing power for ease of porting and probably better advetisments, Nintendo really can't do much then they already do.

The Wii U is based on tech, most Western developers are prepped and may have already abandoned working on for their major titles, the majority of the 3rd parties that might be interested in the Wii U are going to be smaller development teams/indies and middle of the road Japanese developers that are only recently starting to move away from PS2/PSP type tools onto PS3/Wii U ones.

Probably the only thing Nintendo can do is a media blitz, but truthfully, there aren't any exclusive 3rd party titles at this point for the Wii U that would be worth advertising like that. Better Nintendo focus on its own titles, if they are successful enough more developers will come to the Wii U and if those developers put out the right software, they will find success.

Fusioncode said:
Poliwrathlord said:
First Nintendo should tell/pay 3rd party developers to put their games on their console and then they should have Nintendo Direct solely about 3rd party games and tell Nintendo gamers they should buy them.

I like that idea. Using their Nintendo Directs to advertise 3rd party games and multiplats is definitely a step in the right direction. 

I think it'd be easier than that. They could always come out with Demos on their Eshop. I swear they've had the same ones for like a year now. Also, it'd be nice if the devs stopped screwing the Wii U owners out of content and give us special editions.

Nintendo shoudnt have to do anything other than tell them to not half ass their games or make games to "test the waters." 3rd parties really havent made any proper games since the days of the Gamecube. You cant make a statement like Nintendo gamers dont buy 3rd party games without looking at the horrid 3rd party efforts put out. 9/10's of the blame is on them.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:

Nintendo shoudnt have to do anything other than tell them to not half ass their games or make games to "test the waters." 3rd parties really havent made any proper games since the days of the Gamecube. You cant make a statement like Nintendo gamers dont buy 3rd party games without looking at the horrid 3rd party efforts put out. 9/10's of the blame is on them.

^ So much this.

The question isn't "How does Nintendo convince their fans to buy 3rd party games," nor is it "How do 3rd parties convince Nintendo fans to buy their games."  What you need to be asking is "How does Nintendo convince 3rd parties their system is a viable and worthwhile investment to properly develop games for?"  And yes, that is entirely on Nintendo.  It's not the third party's job to establish an audience.  They don't need Nintendo, per say.  All they need is an audience and a platform that either has the established userbase already, or one which is strongly cultivating it. 

The first post got it right.  In order to do that, they need to diversify and start making games for the same audiences as whom 3rd parties target.  They need to market the system at that audience to show their system is viable in terms of the games they want to play (shooters, racers, sports games, RPGs, etc), and they need to build a strong online community.  Doing so would prove to 3rd parties there is an established audience on the system hungry for the games they make.  The 3rd parties can tap into that easily and effectively with their established games.