By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How does Nintendo convince its fans to buy 3rd party games?

Soundwave said:

By diversifying their own 1st/2nd party output.

If say .... Halo was a Nintendo in-house IP, I'd venture a bet that things like COD/Battlefield would probably sell better on their platforms.

Nintendo is the only big publisher that doesn't have a AAA blockbuster IP aimed specifically at older players. Konami has Metal Gear, Activision had Call of Duty, Ubi Soft has Assassin's Creed, Square-Enix has Final Fantasy/Tomb Raider, EA has Madden/Battlefield/FIFA, Take 2 has Grand Theft Auto, etc. 

The closest thing Nintendo has is Metroid, and Metroid simply isn't a big seller (really has not been for 20 years now). 

The reason third parties still keep bringing out things like LEGO, Sonic, Just Dance, Skylanders is because the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's own content is cartoony/mascot based titles or party games.

I agree to a degree but they can't do it under their current structure or via a Japanee developer.

They had the PERCET TEAM to do these mature games for them it was called RARE and they fucked it up. Perfect Dark could have become that big IP. Image if it was a launch title for GCN and was on par gamewise with Halo, the hype from N64 days would have made it the dominant franchise. Then they had KIller Instinct, Jet Force Gemini etc... that could have been regular franchises o NIntendo Systems,.

They currently have another great team called Retro but wtf are they making? stupid games that don't requre that much talent to be made.

Around the Network

Now, Nintendo must:
1. Make the third-party publishers magically transform into Atlus
2. Stop adhering to Gunpei Yokoi's philosophy (in hardware, at least.)
3. Assist the third-parties in making games suited for Nintendo platforms.

The last option is the most realistic.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

zorg1000 said:
Fusioncode said:
archer9234 said:
Honestly they have pay the 3rd party games to get on the system. There's no other way. In till Nintendo users see the 3rd party games come out at the SAME TIME, nerfed in no way (besides graphics), and the online functions with close to 100% the other system do it. That is what it would take to convert people to buy them again. Nintendo has to accept certain things they do is wrong.

Getting 3rd party games on the platform isn't the problem. Nintendo had quite a bit of support when the WiiU launched. It's getting their fans to buy the games. 

I think its sort of a myth that Wii U had strong 3rd party support at launch or at least games that had any chance of selling well.

EA Sports-from what I here the Wii U versions of these games were absolutely garbage.

Mass Effect 3-a late port that released at the same time as the trilogy for PS3/360. Why would anybody spend $60 for a game when the other consoles get the entire series for the same price? That is a slap in the face to Wii U owners.

Ninja Gaiden 3-late port of a game that didnt sell well to begin with.

Tekken Tag 2-released only 2 months after PS3/360 version so wouldnt really call it a late port but it didnt sell very well on PS3/360 with a 150m+ Install base so no reason to believe it would on a console that just released.

Arkham City-year old port, sold more than the year old ports on Xbox One so must not have done too bad.

Darksiders II-slightly late port of a game that didnt sell that much on PS3/360 either.

Assassin's Creed/Call of Duty are really the only ones that had a shot of doing anything decent.

So while u could argue that 3rd party support was alright at launch, what about after launch? The only notable multiplats to release from Jan-July were Injustice and Resident Evil Revelations while PS3/360 got Aliens, DMC, Dead Space 3, Bioshock, Metal Gear Rising, Dead Island, along with Injustice & Resident Evil and probably some other big ones im missing.

So third parties mostly released a couple games that had little chance of selling well then pulled support when said games didnt sell. The majority of multiplats to release on Wii U were either 6 month or older ports, games that didnt sell very well im general, or had missing features. Not a single third party company has really given strong support to Wii U.

Pretty good summary.

I have purchased a lot of the 3rd party games on Wii U and I can honestly say the only ones that deserved decent sales (exclusing exclusives like zombie U) are:

1. Call of Duty, they should have cracked 500K for the install base they had at the time.

2. Need for speed. I think EA killed this game when they said we won't support Nintendo anymore.

3. RE Revelations, did ok considering it was on 3DS.

4. ACIV. perfect time time to get into the franchise as its a new story line. It had the same flawess as even the all might PS4 version. SO pissed me off when people complained about this on Nintendo .

5. Dues Ex - fixed everything the PS360 verions didn't have and what gamers complained about. Even added great use of gamepad.

6. Rayman Legends - this shoudl have sold better, but we know Ubisoft delaying it pissed of some people (really should have got over it since they also annoced three other games as compensation, ie ACIV, splinter cell and Watch Dogs).

7. NBA2k13 - was decent tired a few things.

8. Batman Arkham City - yes this one is late, but to NIntendo console only gamers its a good game so I would have expected at least 2-3times the sales it gor.

And that is probably it.

To add to your negativity. I tried the FIFA game demo. it was a rebadged one year game (instead of the latest like other systems got), which I already played on PS3 that had tacky gamepad controls added.

Batman that come out at the same time as the other consoles, was shit. They made it worst than the port of the old game. 

Game

I think it's too late for this system.

It's certainly not because they leave demos on the eshop for a reasonable length of time and only allow you to play those demos a few times. If someone doesn't know a game exists, and looks for demos on the eshop, even if it's had one, if it's been out longer than a month that demo will no longer be on there.

Around the Network

It's not Nintendo's job to convince me. It's the third party publishers job.

When I hear a game is coming out and its missing features i want on the Wii U, then I will pass. My passing is 100% the 3rd party publishers fault.

First thy'd have to create games themselves in similar genres and really promote them so they sell well. Then do 'deals' with publishers to get great versions of the games on their system until the ecosystem supports itself.

flagstaad said:
Fusioncode said:

Never going to happen. 3rd parties don't need Nintendo. Nintendo needs 3rd parties.

I like your attitude, but is a lost cause, Nintendo fans nitpick every aspect of the game, "look it runs at 2 less frames than in the other version, what a piece of ****", "it does not have the DLC that I will never buy anyway, what a ****** port", "It came 2 months later, why bother somebody else in the world already played it", they want the best version or nothing at all, and 3rd party will not put their A team when the sales don't support that economical decision.

blame nintendo, who used the fans with polished games.

Soundwave said:

By diversifying their own 1st/2nd party output.

If say .... Halo was a Nintendo in-house IP, I'd venture a bet that things like COD/Battlefield would probably sell better on their platforms.

Nintendo is the only big publisher that doesn't have a AAA blockbuster IP aimed specifically at older players. Konami has Metal Gear, Activision had Call of Duty, Ubi Soft has Assassin's Creed, Square-Enix has Final Fantasy/Tomb Raider, EA has Madden/Battlefield/FIFA, Take 2 has Grand Theft Auto, etc. 

The closest thing Nintendo has is Metroid, and Metroid simply isn't a big seller (really has not been for 20 years now). 

The reason third parties still keep bringing out things like LEGO, Sonic, Just Dance, Skylanders is because the overwhelming majority of Nintendo's own content is cartoony/mascot based titles or party games.

this.

The equal and opposite question is:  How do third parties convince Nintendo fans to buy their games?