By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft: Wii U Owners Don’t Buy Assassin’s Creed; More Interested in Just Dance

Smear-Gel said:
Ubisoft:

The best way to build a fanbase is to give up

They already have more than enough fan base to sell their games in PS and Xbox, so they dont need to build fanbase on the system which is not going to sell well. They will make games for Wii U only just to support the platform but not for the profits because there is not userbase who owns and prefers multiplatform game over PS and Xbox versions which are superior.

GAMING is not about spending hours to pass/waste our time just for fun,

its a Feeling/Experience about a VIRTUAL WORLD we can never be in real, and realizing some of our dreams (also creating new ones).

So, Feel Emotions, Experience Adventure/Action, Challenge Game, Solve puzzles and Have fun.

PlayStation is about all-round "New experiences" using new IP's to provide great diversity for everyone.

Xbox is always about Online and Shooting.

Nintendo is always about Fun games and milking IP's.

Around the Network

I got AC3 for Wii U but I got ACIV for PS4. Why, while the Wii U port of AC3 was solid, the DLC support was substandard, and the game itself was average. ACIV on PS4 was the best port, it had additional content, and the game was awesome. The first AC game I truly enjoyed.

Would I have bought AC: Rogue for Wii U? Yes. I'm playing my last gen consoles less and less. My 360 is basically being used for USFIV and I'm holding on to my PS3 just for Tales games at the moment. More importantly, Rogue seems to be a lot like ACIV. Ah well, I'll have plenty of fun with Bayonetta 2. All is not lost.

Smear-Gel said:
Ubisoft:

Don't forget to lie to them and then hold games ransom first.

I thought I bought AC4 and its on my shelf, but apparently I dont buy those kinda games...

Must have been a dream...

biglittlesps said:
Smear-Gel said:
Ubisoft:

They already have more than enough fan base to sell their games in PS and Xbox, so they dont need to build fanbase on the system which is not going to sell well. They will make games for Wii U only just to support the platform but not for the profits because there is not userbase who owns and prefers multiplatform game over PS and Xbox versions which are superior.

Larger fanbase equals more profits. I dont see why a 3rd party wouldnt ideally want all three consoles to be profitable to them.

Around the Network

Just Dance 2014: 280K
Assassin's Creed III: 260K

?????????????

For only 20K different???

padib said:

360k is not impressive for a 2D platformer when a game like NSMB Wii can outsell it by a factor of 25. If you'll name NSMBU, I'll give you Rayman Origins.

Also Zombi U, talk to me about Zombi U.

The huge IPs brought by 3rd parties were well argued to be poor ports lacking in features and DLC which was available on other consoles. The other important argument raised ad nauseam is that 3rd parties did not create a market for any games other than shovelware on the Wii. You reap what you sow. Exceptions were games like Red Steel which again you fail to consider in my arguments.

3rd parties were late to the party, and are eating the crow they served Nintendo, and will blame Nintendo for it.

No, "mature" games sell fine on the U, so long as they show some kind of promise. The perfect example I brought up is Shovel Knight. It's not gore mature, but it's certainly not just dance type gaming like Guillemot said.

Did you read the interview I linked you to or did you just prefer to tell me to do my research without doing any of your own?

Your argument is weak. A game can still be profitable even if it sells a fraction of Mario. Ubisoft has continued to make 2D games because that don't need to sell mega numbers to be profitable.

Zombi U managed to sell 700k because it was a hyped launch title. Ryse managed to sell about a million units for the same reason. But how have other M rated games on Wii U performed?

Wii ports were vastly inferior, but they still had more success than Wii U ports. Even if Wii U ports were at par PS360, they would still sell poorly.

What is your point about Red Steel? That's another game that was hyped for a console launch.

3rd parties were at the party when Wii U launched, I don't know what you're babbling about.

You want developers to make M rated games that appeal to Wii U fans. But developers have no interest in doing that, its too risky with little reward. Zombi U for example is not considered a success. ACIV selling 8+ million on Playstation and Xbox platforms is a great success.

I don't feel like reading an opinion from someone that worked on an indie game, its not relevant. I doubt he wants to risk money on making big budget M rated games for Wii U.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Well, they should put A LOT more effort into just dance on wii u. Maybe have some special songs add to it.
And yeah, at least they are continuing supporting it

Pocky Lover Boy! 

padib said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Is 360k impressive for Rayman Legends? Yeah, that's pretty good for a 2D platformer. It sold over a million in combined sales, its a hit.

Well clearly it takes more effort than you think to make a Wii U port. Otherwise the Wii U version of Watch Dogs would be here already.

If AC games were selling around 500K on Wii U, support would probably continue. But 190k for a game doing so well on other platforms is pathetic.

Bottomline, 3rd parties brought some huge IPs to Wii U and they were generally ignored.

The audience that wanted mature Wii games disappeared. CoD used to sell millions on Wii. Yet CoD:Ghosts is struggling to break 200k on Wii U. Try doing some research.

360k is not impressive for a 2D platformer when a game like NSMB Wii can outsell it by a factor of 25. If you'll name NSMBU, I'll give you Rayman Origins.

Also Zombi U, talk to me about Zombi U.

The huge IPs brought by 3rd parties were well argued to be poor ports lacking in features and DLC which was available on other consoles. The other important argument raised ad nauseam is that 3rd parties did not create a market for any games other than shovelware on the Wii. You reap what you sow. Exceptions were games like Red Steel which again you fail to consider in my arguments.

3rd parties were late to the party, and are eating the crow they served Nintendo, and will blame Nintendo for it.

No, "mature" games sell fine on the U, so long as they show some kind of promise. The perfect example I brought up is Shovel Knight. It's not gore mature, but it's certainly not just dance type gaming like Guillemot said.

Did you read the interview I linked you to or did you just prefer to tell me to do my research without doing any of your own?

How is Shovel Knight a perfect example that a big budget mature game is viable on Wii U?  Shovel knight was around 50k in 1st month on Wii U if I remember correctly.  Just because there's 50k, or even 200k people who buy mature games on the system doesn't mean it's viable for a big budget game.

Obviously he is not saying that 100% of people on the Wii U only buy Dance Games or other casual games, but that the % of people who buy mature games like AC on the U is relatively small.

My 8th gen collection

padib said:
Um, no.

It's not about just dance or other experiences, it's about games they like. ZombiU sold relatively well though maybe not the numbers Ubi was looking for.

Nintendo gamers buy certain types of games, and that may not necessarily mean Just Dance. A great recent example is Shovel Knight. Don't come and tell me that's like Just Dance Mr. Guillemot.

How is Shovel Knight a good example against the point the CEO is making? The game is basically one big love letter to the great games of the NES era, especially Megaman, if there was any group of people this game just had to appeal to then it was the oldschool Nintendo fans, do you expect every third party developer to tailor their games specifically to Nintendo fans tastes?

What he says is right, Nintendo customers haven't bought the last AC games. Nintendo customers haven't bought many M rated games overall, especially third party multiplats. Nintendo customers have on the other hand bought a lot of Just Dance, though I see that declining sharply over the next years. So what of what he said is bothering you here?