Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Safe To Say 3rd Party Support From Wii U Is Pretty Much Gone?

third parties already abandoned nintendo after gamecube sales. the unexpected success of the wii forced them to make games for the big n cuz nobody wants to miss out on easy cash. then they used all the money to develop for the hardcore fans in the other systems which unfortunately forced a lot of them to go bankrupt due to high costs and not enuff sales. wii u is not replicating the wii's success so third parties are just going back to their original plans.

Around the Network
shokenchi said:
third parties already abandoned nintendo after gamecube sales. the unexpected success of the wii forced them to make games for the big n cuz nobody wants to miss out on easy cash. then they used all the money to develop for the hardcore fans in the other systems which unfortunately forced a lot of them to go bankrupt due to high costs and not enuff sales, and others to blame Nintendo for existing. wii u is not replicating the wii's success so third parties are just going back to their original plans.

I added one more thing.

So Fifa 14 was released on the PSP and only sold 140k, yet they didn't release it on the Wii U. I'm not sure where anyone is coming from who says that EA are not out to get Nintendo.

With the assumed lower cost of developing for a handheld vs a new gen console and the sizeable audience, you'd think third parties would be flocking to the 3DS but they aren't. I don't think the Wii U 3rd party problem is system sales, but for some reason they are just avoiding Nintendo altogether.

supafly said:

With the assumed lower cost of developing for a handheld vs a new gen console and the sizeable audience, you'd think third parties would be flocking to the 3DS but they aren't. I don't think the Wii U 3rd party problem is system sales, but for some reason they are just avoiding Nintendo altogether.

it isnt system sales. Its software sales. And western 3rd parties have never really been big on handhelds anyway. Even in the heyday. What really big series were put on portables and how much of them did big numbers like there Japanese counterparts?

Around the Network
AZWification said:
I have the feeling that those unannounced Ubisoft games for the WiiU are all casual games that probably aren't worth a damn! :-/

Do you know what else are "casual games"? Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Rayman Legends, and Super Mario 3D World.

People need to stop using the word "casual" like it's some sort of negative quality.

Actually if we're being strict, the term "casual game" is a stupid one to begin with - it's a term used exclusively for the purposes of deriding a game for appealing to a wide audience. As though appealing to a wide audience was something to be ashamed of.

Aielyn said:
AZWification said:
I have the feeling that those unannounced Ubisoft games for the WiiU are all casual games that probably aren't worth a damn! :-/

Do you know what else are "casual games"? Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Rayman Legends, and Super Mario 3D World.

People need to stop using the word "casual" like it's some sort of negative quality.

Actually if we're being strict, the term "casual game" is a stupid one to begin with - it's a term used exclusively for the purposes of deriding a game for appealing to a wide audience. As though appealing to a wide audience was something to be ashamed of.

By casual games I obviously mean games like Just Dance and Skylanders!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
By casual games I obviously mean games like Just Dance and Skylanders!

My point still stands. You may not particularly enjoy those two games, but that doesn't devalue them. And since Ubisoft have openly been supporting the Wii U with Just Dance, we can assume pretty comfortably that the games they aren't releasing are different from it in nature, even though at least one is still "family-friendly" (read: not bloody/gory). I'm betting that one is a Rabbid game, by the way.

Considering that their best-selling title on the Wii U has been ZombiU, and the next three are Rayman Legends, Just Dance 2014, and then Assassin's Creed 3 (coming before any other Just Dance title, and AC3 has sold nearly as well as JD2014), I think it's reasonable to say that Ubisoft probably wouldn't keep making Just Dance on the system, but ignore games more like Rayman Legends, ZombiU, or Assassin's Creed.

cfin2987@gmail.com said:

So Fifa 14 was released on the PSP and only sold 140k, yet they didn't release it on the Wii U. I'm not sure where anyone is coming from who says that EA are not out to get Nintendo.

Actually, they reskinned and re-released FIFA 07 for the 8th time on PSP and managed to sell an epic further 160k ;)

According to Chartz, the PSP ver almost outsold the 3DS version. 

However FIFA 13 according to Chartz sold  280,000 on PSP vs 170,000 on Wii U. Given that the PSP version has been dumped for FIFA 15, EA's decision not to release FIFA 14 on Wii U appears in line with their policy and they seem to be treating the consoles fairly. Really it's showing bias towards Nintendo that the 3DS is still going to get FIFA 15 this year if you are going to try and play conspiracy theories ;)

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Actually, they reskinned and re-released FIFA 07 for the 8th time on PSP and managed to sell an epic further 160k ;)

According to Chartz, the PSP ver almost outsold the 3DS version.

However FIFA 13 according to Chartz sold  280,000 on PSP vs 170,000 on Wii U. Given that the PSP version has been dumped for FIFA 15, EA's decision not to release FIFA 14 on Wii U appears in line with their policy and they seem to be treating the consoles fairly. Really it's showing bias towards Nintendo that the 3DS is still going to get FIFA 15 this year if you are going to try and play conspiracy theories ;)

FIFA 12 sold less than 100k on PS2, yet they still released FIFA 13 and FIFA 14 for it. Your argument is invalid.