By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Safe To Say 3rd Party Support From Wii U Is Pretty Much Gone?

I think Watch Dogs will come out just because Ubi Soft probably passed the point of no return on that port a while ago, might as well release it, even if you only ship 100k ... that recoups some of the dev budget. Better than getting nothing back.

Around the Network
MikeRox said:

Not really. EA didn't choose not to release FIFA 14 out of spite is the reality of the matter.

There was clearly more money in 100,000 PS2 sales (re-releasing the same game for the 3rd or 4th time) than there would have been in whatever the Wii U version of FIFA 14 shifted. There's also the thing of Wii U owners who really really needed the latest teams, were about to use the backwards compatability to continue to play the current teams.

However, note that they also no longer release the PS2 version. 3DS and Vita will be the next versions to get axed. Oh and Wii, if that's getting a 2015 release.

Are you really saying that PS2 owners would have bought yet another reskinned version (there's no sign that they even did that, by the way - VGChartz doesn't even have any numbers for the PS2 version of Fifa 13 or 14, suggesting it didn't even sell well enough to register), but Wii U owners wouldn't?

I find it funny that you suggest that they kept selling the PS2 version despite its dramatic plummet in sales, yet they couldn't do the same thing for Wii U, for which it was nothing but a launch title lacking in features.

"EA didn't choose not to release FIFA 14 out of spite is the reality of the matter" is something you have to back up, at this point. EA announced Mass Effect Trilogy just a couple of months before release of the Wii U, thus sabotaging Mass Effect 3 on the system. They announced major new innovations in Madden and Fifa, and then announced that the Wii U versions wouldn't get those innovations (and review scores for Fifa were around 90 for PS3/360, and around 70 for Wii U - think about that). They delayed only the Wii U version of Need for Speed, and announced before its release that it was going to be EA's last title (I give props to the devs for putting so much effort into the game, but EA themselves sent it to die).

As your own argument has pointed out, EA doesn't shy away from just releasing reskinned versions of their sports games for systems where the games are less popular. Chicken-and-egg issues aside, there is no reason why EA couldn't have continued this trend with Wii U. But they didn't. No rational businessperson would assert that performance of a single instance of a title, that was lacking in features and released late, would be indicative of long-term trends. But EA cut off all support well before they could even know how their titles would perform.

You don't just have to explain them ceasing support for Fifa titles. You have to explain their nonexistant support from the launch of the system onwards. They couldn't possibly have known before end of 2012 how Wii U sales would go, and yet they'd already cancelled all of their later titles for the system. Or they hadn't been developing them in the first place... which has the same effect.

Anyway, back to the actual topic... I think that there are mixed messages going on. Activision refuses to announce CoD:AW for Wii U, but releases an update to Black Ops 2 adding a new map and hinting at another one? Announcing that Skylanders Wii would include a code for Skylanders Wii U? They finally release the map they promised for Ghosts? Capcom don't announce RE1 Remaster for Wii U, but they're pumping Mega Man onto the VC like there's no tomorrow? Even EA, despite having cut off all support for Wii U, insists on denying the suggestion that Nintendo are "dead to them", and keep repeating that Nintendo is "a great partner", etc. And then there's cases like Bandai Namco announcing a title for release on PS3 and Wii U only.

FIFA on PS2, PSP, Wii etc. for years after those systems have been "retired" as it were is because soccer is so popular in Latin American and poorer European markets.

Not every kid has the luxury of a $300+ Wii U or $400 PS4 in the world, FIFA on those platforms is for that portion of the market.

That's all there is to it that has nothing to do with Nintendo and Nintendo fans need to get over that. That's just EA filling a market need. When Nintendo sells 100+ million Wii Us they can expect the same treatment. 

Megaman on VC makes sense ... he's going to be in Smash Brothers, pushing Megaman games simply is smart. 

There is going to be like 6-10 retail third party games for the Wii U *total* next year. I'd say there is no mixed message here. 

Soundwave said:

FIFA on PS2, PSP, Wii etc. for years after those systems have been "retired" as it were is because soccer is so popular in Latin American and poorer European markets.

Not every kid has the luxury of a $300+ Wii U or $400 PS4 in the world, FIFA on those platforms is for that portion of the market.

That's all there is to it that has nothing to do with Nintendo and Nintendo fans need to get over that. That's just EA filling a market need. When Nintendo sells 100+ million Wii Us they can expect the same treatment. 

Megaman on VC makes sense ... he's going to be in Smash Brothers, pushing Megaman games simply is smart. 

There is going to be like 6-10 retail third party games for the Wii U *total* next year. I'd say there is no mixed message here. 

Do you think Capcom and Nintendo might team up for an exclusive WiiU Mega Man game or something like that?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Soundwave said:

Do you think Capcom and Nintendo might team up for an exclusive WiiU Mega Man game or something like that?

If Nintendo is willing to pay for the development of the game, maybe. 

I don't think Capcom has interest in making Wii U games on their own dime. 

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
Soundwave said:

With Capcom refusing to even give the Wii U a port of RE REmake (a game that debuted exclusively on the GameCube in 2002) while every other major console platform gets it ... it signals kind of a new rock bottom for Nintendo consoles.

To be fair, Resident Evil REmake was released on Wii in 2009. It's possible that Capcom aren't releasing it on Wii U for that reason - otherwise, it would have been on Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U. Maybe they figure it's overkill.

Besides which, Capcom wasn't exactly putting a lot out on Wii U to begin with. Their entire Wii U lineup consists of Resident Evil: Revelations (a HD port of a 3DS game), Monster Hunter 3 variants (ports of a Wii/3DS title), and Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara on the eShop.

Both Activision and Ubisoft appear to be continuing to support the Wii U (in the case of Ubisoft, apparently there are titles they have made for Wii U that they're holding off on releasing until Wii U has sold more... which suggests that they expect it to sell better). Warner Bros, Disney, Bandai Namco, Tecmo Koei, and Sega also appear to be continuing support. And then there's all the indie support.

It's true, it's the worst third party support the system has had... but it's a bit of an exaggeration to say it's "pretty much gone". Especially considering that most of the third party support for the Wii consisted of shovelware (there were certainly gems amongst the third-party titles released, of course). What has mostly happened is that third parties have shifted their shovelware to mobile.

Wii U has already had better third party support than the entire N64 lifespan.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It has a fair amount of eShop support and to be honest I dig those indie games more than the next re-re-remake or lame port. But it's true, the retail third party support is limited to some Lego games and Dance Dance stuff...

MikeRox said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

So Fifa 14 was released on the PSP and only sold 140k, yet they didn't release it on the Wii U. I'm not sure where anyone is coming from who says that EA are not out to get Nintendo.

Actually, they reskinned and re-released FIFA 07 for the 8th time on PSP and managed to sell an epic further 160k ;)

According to Chartz, the PSP ver almost outsold the 3DS version. 

However FIFA 13 according to Chartz sold  280,000 on PSP vs 170,000 on Wii U. Given that the PSP version has been dumped for FIFA 15, EA's decision not to release FIFA 14 on Wii U appears in line with their policy and they seem to be treating the consoles fairly. Really it's showing bias towards Nintendo that the 3DS is still going to get FIFA 15 this year if you are going to try and play conspiracy theories ;)

It's hardly conspiracy. It's good business sense. It's not "dislike" on EA's part. It's logical that they would purposefully avoid Nintendo and give people reason not to buy a console due to the fact that, if people buy it and even if their games were successful on it, they would then "HAVE" to put their games onto the Nintendo console for profit purposes.

A real silly thing is that Fifa will be on the Wii which technically means it will be on the Wii U anyway through backward compatibility. So why didn't they release that as a Wii/Wii U game? One sticker is all it would have taken.

Aielyn said:

Are you really saying that PS2 owners would have bought yet another reskinned version (there's no sign that they even did that, by the way - VGChartz doesn't even have any numbers for the PS2 version of Fifa 13 or 14, suggesting it didn't even sell well enough to register), but Wii U owners wouldn't?

I find it funny that you suggest that they kept selling the PS2 version despite its dramatic plummet in sales, yet they couldn't do the same thing for Wii U, for which it was nothing but a launch title lacking in features.

"EA didn't choose not to release FIFA 14 out of spite is the reality of the matter" is something you have to back up, at this point. EA announced Mass Effect Trilogy just a couple of months before release of the Wii U, thus sabotaging Mass Effect 3 on the system. They announced major new innovations in Madden and Fifa, and then announced that the Wii U versions wouldn't get those innovations (and review scores for Fifa were around 90 for PS3/360, and around 70 for Wii U - think about that). They delayed only the Wii U version of Need for Speed, and announced before its release that it was going to be EA's last title (I give props to the devs for putting so much effort into the game, but EA themselves sent it to die).

well they clearly did, however the levels the most recent one sold were the cut off point. Development costs for the reskins are far cheaper for a standard definition console than the HD of the Wii U. I'd wager also that Nintendo want far more royalties per unit for a Wii U title, than Sony were asking for a PS2 game.

Also as you say, they got enough flack for releasing a "substandard" FIFA in the first place, yet then you advocate reskinning said "gimped" release? I don't blame EA tbh.

As for backing it up. Not really, it's not my job to back up that a company deliberately chooses not to release products because they would lose money. The onus would be on you to prove that it was viable for EA to release FIFA 14 on Wii U. Which I don't think it would have been, and my evidence of this is based on the abysmal sales of FIFA 13 on Wii U combined with EA choosing not to bother.

If you have evidence to suggest EA are deliberately turning profits down however, feel free.

I won't derail anymore, but you have to realise that your argument really is saying a major multinational is turning down profit out of spite. I guess they were spiting SEGA too when they didn't release any games on the Dreamcast, which incidentally, was performing better in the marketplace in the same timespan.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

MikeRox said:
well they clearly did, however the levels the most recent one sold were the cut off point. Development costs for the reskins are far cheaper for a standard definition console than the HD of the Wii U. I'd wager also that Nintendo want far more royalties per unit for a Wii U title, than Sony were asking for a PS2 game.

Also as you say, they got enough flack for releasing a "substandard" FIFA in the first place, yet then you advocate reskinning said "gimped" release? I don't blame EA tbh.

As for backing it up. Not really, it's not my job to back up that a company deliberately chooses not to release products because they would lose money. The onus would be on you to prove that it was viable for EA to release FIFA 14 on Wii U. Which I don't think it would have been, and my evidence of this is based on the abysmal sales of FIFA 13 on Wii U combined with EA choosing not to bother.

If you have evidence to suggest EA are deliberately turning profits down however, feel free.

I won't derail anymore, but you have to realise that your argument really is saying a major multinational is turning down profit out of spite. I guess they were spiting SEGA too when they didn't release any games on the Dreamcast, which incidentally, was performing better in the marketplace in the same timespan.

Actually, the onus was on EA to prove that it wasn't viable by making a real attempt first, rather than putting out a weak effort and then cutting support when people chose to get games that had heart and soul put into them. Abysmal sales of Fifa 13 on Wii U is a reflection of the fact that Fifa 13 on Wii U was abysmal. Metacritic has it at 69 (compared with 90 for PS3/360). EA announced before launch that the game wasn't going to include any of the innovations that had been brought in with the other versions, despite the fact that many of the innovations were functional (that is, they were basic logic, not system-specific type stuff, and thus could simply be copy-pasted). Their big usage of the Gamepad was "shake the gamepad to go into first-person view, kick goal from there"... as though that's something sensible in a game where you get a top-down view and there's a touchpad.

And I'm not saying that EA is turning down profit out of spite. I'm saying that profits would require some work, and they're refusing to put in the effort out of spite. And if you're not willing to put in the effort, in business, it's often better to not do it at all.

Also, EA didn't support Dreamcast at all, not from the start. And yes, I'd say that's another example of spite. Sega had, in the past, had rather draconian rules regarding their developers/publishers abilities to publish on other systems, as did Nintendo. Once Sony came along, they dramatically scaled back their support for both, and by the time of Gen 6, it had dropped dramatically. Dreamcast got no support, Gamecube got none of the regular sports titles and not a whole lot of other titles (they got the "FIFA Street" and "NBA Street" titles).