By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Safe To Say 3rd Party Support From Wii U Is Pretty Much Gone?

Soundwave said:

What happens in 13 more days?

I'm getting a PS4 on Sept. 9th with the Destiny bundle, NHL 15 and The Last Of Us Remastered. 

Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition. I could wait since I have a PS3 and 360, but I think its time for me to get one

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
This is exactly why they need to unify the handheld and console next-gen. With development time/costs increasing, Nintendo can no longer give strong support to two seperate platforms and they cant continue having minimal 3rd party support on the console side.

One thing that is always a safe bet about Nintendo handhelds is that they will have strong 3rd party support from Japanese developers. By unifying the hardware, that ensures that Nintendo's next console will also have strong third party support.

With Nintendo no longer having to make games for 2 seperate devices, they will be able to end having 1st party droughts plus strong Japanese 3rd party support, family friendly western support (Skylanders/Disney/Lego/licensed games), Nintendo's next-gen devices will be able to have a consistant schedule of game releases.

I tend to agree. 

I think next time around if Nintendo tries to make another "real" console, they are going to be greeted by no third party support from day 1 from the likes of Capcom, EA, Square-Enix, etc. and very minimal support for Activision/Ubi Soft (shovelware titles only). 

Third parties just won't support a Nintendo console anymore. So they have no choice but to make their handheld basically their main platform and expand that handheld library into something that can play on the TV. 

sidmeiernintifan said:
oniyide said:
sidmeiernintifan said:
Even though I own Stret Fighter IV Arcade Edition on Steam, and I will get Ultra on steam, it bothers me that both Wii and Wii U's virtual console have like 4 Super Nintendo Street Fighter games, and no version of Street Fighter 4 was released for Wii or Wii U, especially when Street Fighter IV for 3DS sold over one million units.

I read in Neogaf that SNK is making the new King of fighters, and that they are hiring people with experience in PS3 and Xbox360, so I am sure it will not be on Wii U.
Perhaps Nintendo doesn't want those games because they don't want them to compete with Smash, but even if I can get Street Fighter and KOF on Steam, I would rather play them on a Nintendo console.
I prefer all games that can be played with another person in the living room on consoles.

Nintendo has to think of their future and what they want to be, because much of the reason for making a console is the revenue from third parties.

I don't care about about most third parties but this capcom thing bothers me.
When I was a kid I had Street Fighter 2 turbo, Killer Instinct, Samurai Shodown and Mortal Kombat II for my SNES.
My only Nintendo game was Super Mario World (bundled) + Killer Instinct which was from Rare if you consider that Nintendo.

dude SNES was literally decades ago. Street Fighter hasnt been promenent on a Ninty home console since then. Let it go. 

as for teh bolded. You cant do that with PS or xbox? its a 2d fighter im sure they can manage. what would you have been playing had those games not went to PC?

What did you bold?, I don't see anything bolded.

90% of the games I play are platformers, fighting games and turn based strategy games. I am 95% covered by PC and Wii U.

If fighting games were not on Steam, I would have to buy a Playstation for sure. I may get a PS4 when Sega decides to make Virtua Fighter 6, because I don't think it will be on steam.

I still wish Nintendo would have moved a finger to publish Ultra Street Fighter IV for Wii U. I guess they don't want that game to compete with Smash, and there may be a problem if Capcom begins to work in Street Fighter V and the Wii U is too weak to run that game.

i prefer all games to be played with another person in the living room on consoles. thats what i bolded.

Thats fair. but arent you missing a few fighting franchises? Tekken (proper) doesnt appear on PC, Blazbule, Guilty Gear, that Persona fighter, Caopcoms vs series dead or alive. Im asking cause im sure a lot simply dont appear. Im not trying to tell you what to do, but personally as a huge fighting game fan. There is no way i would put my faith in ninty consoles and PC. IMHO Ninty consoles have been crap for fighters since N64 up to now. NO street fighter for any of them. and some games they do get are usually late ports. PC JUST started getting some fighters. What were you doing in the PS1 and 2 eras? IMHO PS in that genre has it. They get damn near all the games all on time. Hell i dont even think the new Tekken is hitting the Wii U

as for Street Fighter. I think some of you really put way too much stock into Ninty first party. Smash doesnt play anything like SF so there would be little competition. SF isnt on Wii u becasue Capcom doesnt WANT it on WIi U. It wouldnt be that simple of a port, Capcom would have to learn and optimize the engine to get it running on Wii U. Im not saying it cant be done but Capcom isnt going through all that trouble for what is essentially an add on to a game that was released years ago. there not even doing it for 3ds version.

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

we dont track digital so we dont know the true numbers. I wouldnt be surprised if it sold better than Wii U since most PC sales are digital not retail. like 5-1 last i checked

It probably did, but I dont see a reason for Capcom to skip the WiiU though. RE usually sells pretty well on Nintendo systems.

ok well thats fair. could have said that from the beginning. But it really does seem like Capcom is pulling back on support

Shadow1980 said:

Yeah. There's not a whole lot on tab. It's still getting a belated port of Watch Dogs, but after that Ubisoft is probably going to only bother with Just Dance. AC Unity is PS4 and XBO only, and FC4 isn't coming to Wii U, either. Activision may still release COD. Sega has given Nintendo a decent amount of support, and we might see some WB titles as well (mainly Lego games probably). We still have Bayonetta 2 on tap, and we might still see other games from Platinum occasionally. Overall, it's the same situation with the Wii. The Wii U did get a bit more early on, but that's because it's easy to port games released for the PS3 & 360 to the Wii U. But I already knew it was a matter of time before third-party games became less frequent. The Wii U just isn't a powerful enough piece of hardware, and it was obvious that once third parties started focusing mainly or entirely on the PS4 and XBO that we'd be back to Wii-level third-party support.

Had the Wii U been just as powerful as the PS4 and XBO, this wouldn't be a problem. It's a great system with lots of awesome games, but third parties have shown that for the most part they have certain demands about hardware, and Nintendo has consistently failed to meet those demands. First it was format with the N64 and GC, then it was low specs with the Wii and Wii U. If I've said before, I've said it a hundred times, but Nintendo won't ever get the full support of third parties until they make a powerful, conventional console, preferably one with a standard gamepad as the primary controller and one with a robust online infrastructure.

no we arent back to wii level of 3rd party support. Not even close. Wii U isnt even getting all that shovelware. Its actually worse

Around the Network
Purple said:
Third parties have been gone for a long time.

We're on track for only 11 third party games to be released at retail this calendar year. Compare that to 236 at the same point in the Wii's life. Or even 100 for the floundering Gamecube.

The Wii U is a flop for Nintendo of incredible proportions.

Just to expand on this, I looked up N64's equivalent year (going into its third Christmas holiday)

Wii - 236 Third Party Games (2008)

GameCube - 136 (approx) Third Party Games (2003)

N64 - 69 Third Party Games (1998)

Wii U - 11 or 12 Third Party Games (retail 2014)

Next year I think will be the first year ever in Nintendo console history that they get single digit third party retail releases. 

Nintendo likely is looking at less than 20 games total for the Wii U (including Nintendo's titles) next year. This is pretty bad. 

chidori-chan2 said:
At least Nintendo have a lot cool 2 party games incoming.

Yeah, at least they are trying in the 2nd party department which is something I guess!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Sadly its true BUT it may pick up if sales get better.

Realistically 3rd party support should greatly diminish once no more games are made for last gen consoles, but its obliviously not the case at hand.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

I'd say it's gone, but doesn't bother me.   NIntendo has great 1st party games and not to mention the only family suitable console that's out right now IMO.   I wouldn't have a console in our house if it wasn't for the WiiU to be honest with you.  No shortage of games in our household, I've got plenty of adult oriented games that I still have waiting.  Assasins Creend 3, & 4, Darksiders 2, Batman Arkham, Mass Effect 3, Zombie U, Need for Speed, Master Reboot.    Played Resident Evil Rev, and Child of Light.  Currently playing Trine 2. 

With my kids I've played Super Mario Brothers, Mario World, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong TF, Rayman Legends, Ducktales, Game and Wario (Which we just got Free), Pikmin (Which we got free)

With Family WiiU Fit (Got Free), Dr. Luigi, Pure Chess etc.    Our family has been Wii U owners for less than a year, and as you can see, no shortage of games.    I'm completely satisfied with the amount of support and games available so far.  

Kids are jonesing for Mario Maker...... and have asked Santa for Zelda Wind Waker....

grapenose said:

I'd say it's gone, but doesn't bother me.   NIntendo has great 1st party games and not to mention the only family suitable console that's out right now IMO.   I wouldn't have a console in our house if it wasn't for the WiiU to be honest with you.  No shortage of games in our household, I've got plenty of adult oriented games that I still have waiting.  Assasins Creend 3, & 4, Darksiders 2, Batman Arkham, Mass Effect 3, Zombie U, Need for Speed, Master Reboot.    Played Resident Evil Rev, and Child of Light.  Currently playing Trine 2. 

With my kids I've played Super Mario Brothers, Mario World, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong TF, Rayman Legends, Ducktales, Game and Wario (Which we just got Free), Pikmin (Which we got free)

With Family WiiU Fit (Got Free), Dr. Luigi, Pure Chess etc.    Our family has been Wii U owners for less than a year, and as you can see, no shortage of games.    I'm completely satisfied with the amount of support and games available so far.  

Kids are jonesing for Mario Maker...... and have asked Santa for Zelda Wind Waker....

It's good the family console concept still works for some people. 

Unfortunately for Nintendo by the time kids turn 12/13 I think they lose them to Sony/MS because they want to play what the older kids are playing. You'll get a few that stay on and become life long Nintendo fans, but it's become more and more a losing proposition for Nintendo.