By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sony's Shuhei Yoshida Says Nintendo Provides Balance In An Industry Obsessed With Military Shooters

Lawlight said:
aLkaLiNE said:
Between Sony and MS, only one is needed (although I am a fanboy, I won't pick sides here). Nintendo on the other hand, as Yoshida said is a necessary component within the industry to help drive innovation.

What innovation by Nintendo? Care to give some examples?

Splatoon, for one - this is the one that Yoshida specifically mentioned.

The Wii's motion controls were enough of an innovation to drive the system's sales for three solid years, while both Sony and MS were forced to respond with Move and Kinect, respectively.

If you'd like, I can continue.

Around the Network
padib said:
Hopefully this will convince Sonyites of what I have always said, that Nintendo offers something that is different from what the other two consoles are focused on.

And that's why they have a very important role to play in the industry.

Luckily they will believe it when a Sony rep says it because they certainly don't when I say it.

Well they provide balance by being rather imbalanced in the range of their offerings. Perhaps if they were more internally balanced, and more current with console power, they would be a multi-generation dominant force in home consoles.

We can acknowledge the things Nintendo does to contribute positively, but it doesn't make them immune from criticism about decisions they make which limits their potential, in the home console space at least.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Smear-Gel said:
padib said:
Hopefully this will convince Sonyites of what I have always said, that Nintendo offers something that is different from what the other two consoles are focused on.

And that's why they have a very important role to play in the industry.

Luckily they will believe it when a Sony rep says it because they certainly don't when I say it.

Yeah, lol.

It's pretty humerous how faboys argue with each other about the consoles, meanwhile this guy owns two Wii U's, the Microsoft head commended the other guys' E3 performances and Miyamoto was checking out Occulus Rift and Sony stuff at E3.

Its called pr.

And owning and knowing your enemys products is mere good business sense.

Lawlight said:

He wont need to reply here because anyone can answer this. 

Wii

DS

Wii U gamepad 

and those are the major ones.

some games that innovate include every itterating core Mario game, Pikmin, Advanced Wars, Fire Emblem, Hey You! Pikachu, Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Mario Kart Series. Future ones include Mario Maker, Splatoon, and Xenoblade X

Aielyn said:
Lawlight said:
aLkaLiNE said:
Between Sony and MS, only one is needed (although I am a fanboy, I won't pick sides here). Nintendo on the other hand, as Yoshida said is a necessary component within the industry to help drive innovation.

The Wii's motion controls were enough of an innovation to drive the system's sales for three solid years, while both Sony and MS were forced to respond with Move and Kinect, respectively.

Forced is a strong and inaccurate word. They weren't forced to do it, they just didn't wanted to miss out on sales. Furthermore, I think innovation is overrated (ironnically, underated is an inaccurate word :P). People like to say oh the industry needs "innovation to thrive" but that's a naive way of looking at it.

In reality, innovation is the stuff that gives us things like the Virtual Boy. Motion controls weren't new in the Wii, they were just intuitive to use and made gaming easier to access. Something touch devices are doing now.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
Lawlight said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Yes, please continue because Splatoon seems seems like they copied The Unfinished Swan and changed it a bit.

Motion Controls - lol, yeah, such a great innovation that it's still being used today...

Only balance that I see Nintendo bringing to the industry is when it occasionally drops a 3D open world platformers.
Because in terms of RPGs, Sports,Fighting, Card games, Strategy, Racing, FPS, TPS and Dance games, other consoles got the market on lock. Even platformers are offered in abundance over Xbla.

padib said:
Lawlight said:

I can only look at facts and I see that the PS4 has a variety that other systems don't have. Just look at PS3 - the PS4 will have even more variety.

You will always look at facts in the light of your biased spectacles, this will never change.

I'm disappointed that even Shuhei can't speak reason to you.

But he's right. It has nothing to do with him being biased, but it's probably WHY he's a PS4 fan like a lot of us. I buy PS branded consoles for the variety of experiences. That's the selling point.

The PS5 Exists. 

He's right, that's why only SCEJ is trying to do something that isn't painfully mediocre and uninspiring (sorry Sony America fans)

PullusPardus said:
He's right, that's why only SCEJ is trying to do something that isn't painfully mediocre and uninspiring (sorry Sony America fans)

I think you're forgeting Naughty Dogs - they make "painfully mediocre and uninspiring" games too? What about Media Molecule?