By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sony's Shuhei Yoshida Says Nintendo Provides Balance In An Industry Obsessed With Military Shooters

Shuhei Yoshida is wrong. PlayStation provides balance between all genres.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Aielyn said:

... yes, I'm sure that the 4 vs 4 shooter game Splatoon is just a copy of single-player adventure title The Unfinished Swan because... reasons. Probably the fact (I assume) that both involve paint. I'm surprised that you didn't accuse it of being a copy of de Blob... oh, wait, that was on a Nintendo platform, so you can't acknowledge that game, right?

And yes, motion controls are still being used. They're not being used quite as much, but that's because motion controls aren't great for every genre, and a lot of gamers who grew up with dual analog have trouble letting go and moving to the obviously-superior Wiimote style controls.

You want some more examples? How about Mario Galaxy with its rather unique platforming style? How about NSMB Wii with its interactions between players in a cooperative platformer? How about Smash Bros (which inspired PSABR)?

How about some of the other hardware innovations - analog sticks (as opposed to joysticks), shoulder buttons, rumble, console-handheld connectivity, 3d screen on a handheld, touchscreen controls, wireless controllers...

I can keep going, if you want.

The idea is still similar. And last I checked, de Blob didn't have shooting mechanics, did it?

Motion controls are still being used? In fitness games no doubt.

Mario Galaxy and its unique platforming style? What was unique about it? Spherical platforming? Looks like Nintendo took a clue from R&C.

Smash Bros? Inspired by Outfoxies - that's well known.

Analog stick - Atari 5200.

I'll give you shoulder button and rumble.

Fairly sure console handheld connectivity would be the pocketstation.

3D would be the Tomytronic 3D.

Touchscreen would be the game.com.

Wireless controllers would be the CX-42 for the Atari 2600.

Yes, please keep going because you've offered very, very few valid examples so far.

Let's first address your claims...

The point is, "shooting paint" or "covering things in paint" is not a game design, it's a detail. The game concept of splatoon isn't "shoot paint", it's "take control of the most territory, where you're able to move faster in your territory than in your opponent's territory"... the paint element is just the specifics of the implementation. We're talking about a non-violent team shooter game, in an industry obsessed with successively more "realistic" war shooters. Your non-team-shooter example is entirely different.

Motion controls (I'm including gyroscopes, accelerometers, and pointing functionality) are still being used. Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U, Wii Party U and Mario Party 10, Pikmin 3, pretty much every Wii U shooter title, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Mario Kart 8, Project Cars, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros... the list goes on. Furthermore, both the PS4 and Vita have motion control, while Kinect was built into the Xbox One.

Mario Galaxy wasn't just about "spherical platforming". That was just one feature of the game. It was all about gravity, not spheres.

The Outfoxies is nothing like Smash Bros, except in the sense that it's a fight on a complex level with destructible/interacting stage features. That's not the part of Smash Bros that is innovative.

Atari 5200 had an analog joystick. As I said, that's not the innovation. Analog joysticks did exist before the N64... but N64 introduced a different analog stick concept, and it's what led to the existence of what is now called "dual analog" - something you really can't do with joysticks without it dramatically changing how you control things.

PocketStation is like the Dreamcast VMU system... they're not handheld gaming systems, like GameBoy, Nintendo DS, PSP, or Neo Geo Pocket Color.

TomyTronic 3D was not a 3D screen. Read what I said again.

You and I both know that, when we say "touchscreen", we don't mean "display with touch sensitivity". Game.com was a glorified PDA. But besides that, innovation isn't always about the first to do a concept, it's about the first to do it in a certain way.

I'll give you wireless controllers, although I would also like to point out that, despite being called "wireless", they weren't exactly wireless. They required a "sending unit". They were basically nothing more than the system a remote control car would use. So let's tweak my definition, and say "modern wireless controller", since modern controllers do a lot more than an Atari joystick did.

Now, for some more examples. Z-targetting in Ocarina of Time. 3D camera of Mario 64 (and thus, real 3D platforming). Debatably dual controls of Goldeneye 007 (precursor to dual analog, second 'analog' function is done by c buttons, not to mention a special control scheme that used two controllers to create the dual analog system) - debatable because it's Rare. 3D polygonal graphics in consoles (FX chip). Gamecube controller's button layout. Streetpass. Miiverse. Voice control. The basic controller layout now used in both the PS and Xbox series controllers. Mario Party. Animal Crossing. Tomodachi Life. Donkey Konga. I can keep going more, if you'd like.

The fact is, Nintendo spends most of its time innovating. Even when people complain about Nintendo franchises not deviating far enough from their "formula", people also complain about changes made to the games. And many top-name developers have explicitly praised Nintendo for their innovation - it's not just Sony, it's the entire industry that says it.

So it's kind of funny to see various Sony and MS fans come in here and challenge something that their preferred companies have said, because it dares to view Nintendo in a positive light.

Good for him to recognize his opponents strengths; Nintendo definitely do spice up the genre with their focus on otherwise dying genres being given high end treatment (like 2D & 3D Platformers), strange hybrids like Adventure-RTS (Pikmin), strange and extreme spins on popular genres to the point of debatable classification (Metroid Prime, Smash Bros, Splatoon), and thematic retension of older traits in genres warped by time (Fatal Frame and Donkey Kong).

Recognizing that will help him sway Nintendo's dual console owners to Playstation. I'd get one for a 3D Little Big Planet with tight controls and power ups.