By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sony's Shuhei Yoshida Says Nintendo Provides Balance In An Industry Obsessed With Military Shooters

So we all know Shu Yoshida is a big Nintendo fan and he always thinks Nintendo brings balance to the industry. 

Titles like Splatoon offer an alternative

Sony's president of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida has always had good words to say about Nintendo — he owns not one but two Wii U consoles, after all. He shows no sign of giving up his amiable relationship with the Kyoto firm, and has made some very positive noises in a recent interview with GamesIndustry International.

Discussing the reaction Sony got with LittleBigPlanet 3, Yoshida said that Nintendo provided "balance" to a business which is saturated by me-too shooting titles:

I was very happy to get a very positive reaction when we announced LittleBigPlanet 3. We are concerned a little bit when we work on a game like LittleBigPlanet 3, about how people will react, because people want those big-budget, realistic, military shooters. But there were lots of cheers, a lot of affection.

And the reaction to Nintendo's games in general, or a game like Splatoon. If you look at the whole industry, and you consider Nintendo, I think the balance is actually better than past years.

What do you think of Yoshida's comments? Do you think that Nintendo — and Sony — are providing a valuable alternative to the hordes of derivative titles available these days? Empty your clip in the comments section below.

[via gamesindustry.biz]

Around the Network
padib said:
Hopefully this will convince Sonyites of what I have always said, that Nintendo offers something that is different from what the other two consoles are focused on.

And that's why they have a very important role to play in the industry.

Luckily they will believe it when a Sony rep says it because they certainly don't when I say it.

Yeah, lol.

It's pretty humerous how faboys argue with each other about the consoles, meanwhile this guy owns two Wii U's, the Microsoft head commended the other guys' E3 performances and Miyamoto was checking out Occulus Rift and Sony stuff at E3.

I call a truce between the Sony fans and Nintendo fans with this article! There is no reason for us to hurt each other no longer! Your Sony god loves Nintendo and Ours loves Sony so we should live together in harmony! Now that thats over, I shall now go ride my magical Pony all the way to my new house in Mars!

Anyway, I love when CEO's talk nicely about other companies, although *with old man's voice* back in my day, we used to fight our way to victory, not play nicely!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Anyone with common sense should know that Nintendo is vital to the industry. They're pretty much the biggest reason local co-op still exists.

Smear-Gel said:
padib said:
Hopefully this will convince Sonyites of what I have always said, that Nintendo offers something that is different from what the other two consoles are focused on.

And that's why they have a very important role to play in the industry.

Luckily they will believe it when a Sony rep says it because they certainly don't when I say it.

Yeah, lol.

It's pretty humerous how faboys argue with each other about the consoles, meanwhile this guy owns two Wii U's, the Microsoft head commended the other guys' E3 performances and Miyamoto was checking out Occulus Rift and Sony stuff at E3.

I think its because those people like Myiamoto have spent the better part of thier lives devoting themselves to the art of game development so they can appecicate games even made by their compeitiors. 

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I call a truce between the Sony fans and Nintendo fans with this article! There is no reason for us to hurt each other no longer! Your Sony god loves Nintendo and Ours loves Sony so we should live together in harmony! Now that thats over, I shall now go ride my magical Pony all the way to my new house in Mars!

Anyway, I love when CEO's talk nicely about other companies, although *with old man's voice* back in my day, we used to fight our way to victory, not play nicely!

Yeah lets bash MS fans then! 

inb4 ban:

it's a joke!

Funny how Sony's president of Worldwide Studios has 200% more Wii U's then most Nintendo Fans.

EDIT: Mistakes were made, post preserved for lulz.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Funny how Sony's president of Worldwide Studios has 200% more Wii U's then most Nintendo Fans.

Most Nintendo fans have 0,67 WiiUs? 

Funny how there are not that many "military" shooters in the market compared with fantasy RPGs and JRPGs.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

... most Nintendo fans have two thirds of a Wii U?

(learn how to use percentages!)