By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sony's Shuhei Yoshida Says Nintendo Provides Balance In An Industry Obsessed With Military Shooters

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Aielyn said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Funny how Sony's president of Worldwide Studios has 200% more Wii U's then most Nintendo Fans.

... most Nintendo fans have two thirds of a Wii U?

(learn how to use percentages!)

Fuck....I've been awake too long.

This is what I meant:

Unfortunately, I still make mistakes on occasion.

You should also point out how we usually only buy one copy of each of our games.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

Sony should buy Nintendo and put Iwata in charge of worldwide studios.  Then Nintendo fans and Sony fans can be friends.

And then Naughty Dog can make more 2DK games?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Lawlight said:
padib said:
Lawlight said:

I can only look at facts and I see that the PS4 has a variety that other systems don't have. Just look at PS3 - the PS4 will have even more variety.

You will always look at facts in the light of your biased spectacles, this will never change.

I'm disappointed that even Shuhei can't speak reason to you.

Ultimately, you could say that the EAs and Activisions bring balance to this industry that would have otherwise been dominated by the cartoony, same-y games. Other like SCE and Microsoft do both.

There use to be a time when Nintendo like games were all over the place. We are no longer in that time. Now, it's all guns, murder, adult themes and violence etc. So games like MK8 are needed and imo, even MORE important. 

fluky-nintendy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

The great thing Sony did in the last few years is that they DIDNT try and change the industry, and thats why they have a consistent and larger fanbase.

I'm not sure where the idea that change > improving on something people already love comes from. That might be the case once in a century, but other than than people have certain expectations.

They didn't try and change the industry? What about Heavy Rain, isn't that taking a huge risk in money to create something so odd for the time? And what about Jorney, AR with Eye Pet, upcoming Morpheus, Unfisnished Swan, the Pupeteer...And I could go on and on about telling you the risky games/moves Sony keeps doing over the years. Don't you try blur things up and deny.. it's pretty visible.

having options for niche markets =/= changing the industry.

Sony can afford to make all of those options available on the back of the shooters and other mainstream games which sell millions upon millions.

If sony were not selling those millions of mainstream games, they would not have the money to bother with niche markets. They clearly have the right balance. There was a good article a few days ago mentioning how only 4/10 playstation games make money and how they have to shuffle profits and budgets between projects. You should read it.

Nintendo on the other hand are hardly making anything from the biggest titles in the industry (whose to blame for it is another story), but are continuing to make games theres low demand for. They dont have the cushion for failure MS or Sony do. If none of Sony's first party games make any money, they will still earn a lot of money from games like watch dogs, assassins creed, GTA, COD, BF, FIFA and tons of others, but if nintendo's games dont make money, they have very little to fall back on.

The only shooter I'm interested now is the new Doom. I miss shooting at some imps. It's been 10 years since the last one. I haven't played CoD since MW2, and BF since 3.

Around the Network
fps_d0minat0r said:
fluky-nintendy said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

The great thing Sony did in the last few years is that they DIDNT try and change the industry, and thats why they have a consistent and larger fanbase.

I'm not sure where the idea that change > improving on something people already love comes from. That might be the case once in a century, but other than than people have certain expectations.

They didn't try and change the industry? What about Heavy Rain, isn't that taking a huge risk in money to create something so odd for the time? And what about Jorney, AR with Eye Pet, upcoming Morpheus, Unfisnished Swan, the Pupeteer...And I could go on and on about telling you the risky games/moves Sony keeps doing over the years. Don't you try blur things up and deny.. it's pretty visible.

having options for niche markets =/= changing the industry.

Sony can afford to make all of those options available on the back of the shooters and other mainstream games which sell millions upon millions.

If sony were not selling those millions of mainstream games, they would not have the money to bother with niche markets. They clearly have the right balance. There was a good article a few days ago mentioning how only 4/10 playstation games make money and how they have to shuffle profits and budgets between projects. You should read it.

Nintendo on the other hand are hardly making anything from the biggest titles in the industry (whose to blame for it is another story), but are continuing to make games theres low demand for. They dont have the cushion for failure MS or Sony do. If none of Sony's first party games make any money, they will still earn a lot of money from games like watch dogs, assassins creed, GTA, COD, BF, FIFA and tons of others, but if nintendo's games dont make money, they have very little to fall back on.

Yes I understand what you're saying now. Making both innovation/mainstream is complicated these days and I have to agree that Nintendo does that better than the other platforms. Kinect falls into that category too. It feels like Nintendo has an adicional urge to be more experiementational because of that lack of an oxigen ballon like you say ~ 3rd party support and FPSs/GTAs.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

(Nintendo sells a jillion units) "Nintendo is for babies! Why would you play games for babies?"

(Nintendo struggles) "Nintendo is an important part of the industry."

Seriously though, nice to see the kind words.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

I think sony and nintendo should get together to make a awesome cd based console!

Yeah he's right. There are way too many shooters these days. But Nintendo makes too many platformers..

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I just had a strong sense of deja vu reading these last four posts. I swear I've read these exact same things a couple months back.