By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Anyone else cursed with the desire to complete as many quests as possible? I'm getting bored with Skyrim, mostly because I feel the need to complete all these meaningless quests once I take them. Once I realize I'm on a dead-end fetch quest, I really should just ignore it. This actually hurts me in a lot of games, where I get burnt out before I complete them.

Around the Network
*Sound Of Rain said:
AZWification said:

It's a shame they won't get to play Smash 4 which has even more multiplayer madness  though....

I just noticed I didn't actually answer your question

They won't buy a Wii U because they're not fans of Nintendo games in general. They basically only like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and Smash Bros. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them buys a Wii U eventually though. Maybe Splatoon can help influence them being another multiplayer game.

It seems like they are fans of Nintendo games everyone can enjoy without too many issues.. Splatoon does look like the kind of game they might enjoy since it's being made by the Animal Crossing team..

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:

It seems like they are fans of Nintendo games everyone can enjoy without too many issues.. Splatoon does look like the kind of game they might enjoy since it's being made by the Animal Crossing team..

Smash Bros & Splatoon were the biggest reasons I wanted to keep my Wii U. They should both help sway a good amount of people over. They're already close to the fence, they just have to take a few more steps and jump over.

pokoko said:
Anyone else cursed with the desire to complete as many quests as possible? I'm getting bored with Skyrim, mostly because I feel the need to complete all these meaningless quests once I take them. Once I realize I'm on a dead-end fetch quest, I really should just ignore it. This actually hurts me in a lot of games, where I get burnt out before I complete them.

Nope. I've never felt the need to complete a game or mission that I found to be boring. Games are supposed to be fun after all.

*Sound Of Rain said:
AZWification said:

Smash Bros & Splatoon were the biggest reasons I wanted to keep my Wii U. They should both help sway a good amount of people over. They're already close to the fence, they just have to take a few more steps and jump over.

Yup.. MK8 alone might not convience them to jump over, but a combination of MK8, Smash, Splatoon and other games will certainly convience them to buy a WiiU...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
pokoko said:

Yeah, I think I completed about 98% of the sidequests in Xenoblade, and as much as I loved that game, it wasted a lot of my time @.@

sundin13 said:
pokoko said:

Yeah, I think I completed about 98% of the sidequests in Xenoblade, and as much as I loved that game, it wasted a lot of my time @.@

That's what it feels like.  Pacing is important for story-driven games, I think, and too many side-quests can kill that.  The question is, is that a design problem, an end-user problem, or something between?

pokoko said:

Its the main problem with the modern WRPG. A whole bunch of quests are the exact same with a different location, even then the locations are extremely similar. They are filler to make the game have more content, though that content is very poor.

One of the reasons Im uber excited for Pillars of Eternity. A game that is being done with one eye on the old infinity engine RPG games where every quest had an interesting character, cool rewards or actual character building, immersive story development.

From returning a teddybear to the spirit of a little girl to busting a slave ring to even simply discovering a hidden crypt in a city... You will always find interesting characters. The likes of Skyrim could learn a thing or two.

Carl2291 said:

Its the main problem with the modern WRPG. A whole bunch of quests are the exact same with a different location, even then the locations are extremely similar. They are filler to make the game have more content, though that content is very poor.

One of the reasons Im uber excited for Pillars of Eternity. A game that is being done with one eye on the old infinity engine RPG games where every quest had an interesting character, cool rewards or actual character building, immersive story development.

From returning a teddybear to the spirit of a little girl to busting a slave ring to even simply discovering a hidden crypt in a city... You will always find interesting characters. The likes of Skyrim could learn a thing or two.

It really is a problem many WRPGs share.  Perhaps they're too unwilling to break tradition.

It reminds me of how the writer of the lore of Kingdoms of Amalur said that the game writer/director probably tried to squeeze too much content into that first title.  All of that wasn't meant to fit into one game.  It wasn't necessary to the narrative.  It's like if Tolkien had tried to squeeze all of The Silmarillion into The Hobbit.  It would have been horribly boring.

I definitely agree that I'd take fewer overall quests of high quality over tons of filler quests any day of the week.  It's not like we're talking about MMOs where you're looking for EXP anywhere you can find it.  I'd think leveling up would be much easier to manage, as well.  Using Amalur as an example again, I was completely overpowered from all the quests I'd completed. 

Something between the highly linear nature of many JRPGs (which I like) and the quest overkill of many WRPGs sounds nifty.  I'm tired of undertaking a quest from an important person in Skyrim that goes nowhere except me selling another Iron Sword of Shocking to a merchant.  At least flag it as a one step quest so I'll know I can safely skip it.

Carl2291 said:
pokoko said:

That sounds pretty awesome...good quest design is something that tends to be unfortunately overlooked in a lot of games which is a shame. Interesting side quests can turn a boring game into a great game...

I recall watching a few Extra Credits videos on this topic which talked about quest design and it really got me thinking more about quests.

Even still, you tell me to kill 50 of some random monster that I've already killed 200 of, and I will do it, no questions asked @.@