By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATED!!! MORE RUMORS: Retro Working on Diddy Kong Racing 2 (Wii U)

Do you like this idea?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 339 36.93%

No... Retro should do something else 281 30.61%

Only if they can do it an... 261 28.43%

dat fur... 35 3.81%

Total:916
curl-6 said:

So whether I'd rather it be mainstream and succeed, or niche and fail?

That's exactly what I mean ...

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

At this point, with Wii U being the dud that it is, I think Nintendo's best bet is to satisfy its base best they can.

I'm a Wii fan, and I can't tell you the headscratching I've done in regards to Nintendo's moves with Wii U. 

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Arius Dion said:
fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

At this point, with Wii U being the dud that it is, I think Nintendo's best bet is to satisfy its base best they can.

I'm a Wii fan, and I can't tell you the headscratching I've done in regards to Nintendo's moves with Wii U. 

Its been one weird ride, hasnt it?lol

Arius Dion said:

My next belief is that Nintendo will have learned a valuable lesson for the next generation. As per Sean Malstrom he thinks that Nintendo is going to exit the mass gaming market. 

It would make anyone think that they were xenomorphs ... 

KLXVER said:

Its been one weird ride, hasnt it?lol

It has been one freaky ride after another ... 

*Sound Of Rain said:
Diddy Kong Racing 2 > Metroid U

Just sharing

You weren't kidding when you said that you have some weird  gaming tastes...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

If they don't go after those gamers, Nintendo will die out.

And plenty of non-Nintendo gamers went for Xenoblade, it was raved about as the best JRPG in years. Likewise, Prime gave some serious cred to what was otherwise seen as a "kiddie" console.

Making DCR2 doesn't mean they can't or won't go after those gamers. All it means is that Retro won't be making Metroid instead like you personally want.

And no, "plenty" of on non-Nintendo gamers did not go for Xenoblade. It was raved about by Nintendo fans. That doesn't mean it isn't true, but don't act like it sold well and drove the non Nintendo installed bas at all. It barely sold well, not even reaching 1m on a 100m install base. Not even 1/100 people who owned a Wii wanted that game. And Prime, once again, did nothing to get 99% of PS/XB fans to pony up and buy those consoles, which is what you're trying to argue. All three only sold moderately, and when down in sales when they should have gone up. Especially MP3 and Trilogy.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

And plenty of non-Nintendo gamers went for Xenoblade, it was raved about as the best JRPG in years. Likewise, Prime gave some serious cred to what was otherwise seen as a "kiddie" console.

Making DCR2 doesn't mean they can't or won't go after those gamers. All it means is that Retro won't be making Metroid instead like you personally want.

And no, "plenty" of on non-Nintendo gamers did not go for Xenoblade. It was raved about by Nintendo fans. That doesn't mean it isn't true, but don't act like it sold well and drove the non Nintendo installed bas at all. It barely sold well, not even reaching 1m on a 100m install base. Not even 1/100 people who owned a Wii wanted that game. And Prime, once again, did nothing to get 99% of PS/XB fans to pony up and buy those consoles, which is what you're trying to argue. All three only sold moderately, and when down in sales when they should have gone up. Especially MP3 and Trilogy.

Wrong; I actually do not personally want another Retro Metroid. I've had three of those already. I just recognize it would be a vastly more effective use of their resources than another cartoon Kart game that nobody wants and which would fail to move any hardware. 

DKR2 would/will be a one-stop express to flopville. There's no reason to waste time, money, and manpower on it when MK8 already has that slot well and truly covered. 

Nintendo already has the nostalgics and the faithful in the bag, they must concentrate their efforts on bringing in other demographics if they want to still be in business 10 years from now.

curl-6 said:
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Wrong; I actually do not personally want another Retro Metroid. I've had three of those already. I just recognize it would be a vastly more effective use of their resources than another cartoon Kart game that nobody wants and which would fail to move any hardware. 

DKR2 would/will be a one-stop express to flopville. There's no reason to waste time, money, and manpower on it when MK8 already has that slot well and truly covered. 

Nintendo already has the nostalgics and the faithful in the bag, they must concentrate their efforts on bringing in other demographics if they want to still be in business 10 years from now.

Incorrect. DKR has a great possibility of selling well, a fact that I already proved and don't understand why it's still even up for descussion. No one buying Mario Kart but you is thinking, I've had my fill of this totally kiddie cartoony racing game for the next seven years. Oh? Another similar yet different game that looks as fun as the one I have? I'll pass. By your logic, none of the Pokemon remakes should sell because they are already getting the Pokemon experience with the first game of that generation. Even the internet nerd population is reacting positively to this rumor. The far less jaded and critical populace who actually buy the Mario Kart games would react just as positively. You don't get to choose what a "good use of" anyone's resources is. If they are making a good game that makes good money, it's a good use of nintendo's resources.

The rumor is confusing anyway, Monster Games is the developer and Retro? Sounds like they're just assisting.

I don't even think it will end up being for the Wii U, probably smarter to move it into the launch window of the next-gen Nintendo handheld/fusion device (Mario Kart 9 is probably a long ways out).

If they could launch the next system with Mario Galaxy 3, Animal Crossing Next, and Diddy Kong Racing 2 ... it would make up for the poor 3DS and Wii U launches in spades. 

I agree that Retro shouldn't do Metroid either though. I think they did their time on that IP and it's not something that moves Nintendo consoles either. Maybe let them make something new on their own.

spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Incorrect. DKR has a great possibility of selling well, a fact that I already proved and don't understand why it's still even up for descussion. No one buying Mario Kart but you is thinking, I've had my fill of this totally kiddie cartoony racing game for the next seven years. Oh? Another similar yet different game that looks as fun as the one I have? I'll pass. By your logic, none of the Pokemon remakes should sell because they are already getting the Pokemon experience with the first game of that generation. Even the internet nerd population is reacting positively to this rumor. The far less jaded and critical populace who actually buy the Mario Kart games would react just as positively. You don't get to choose what a "good use of" anyone's resources is. If they are making a good game that makes good money, it's a good use of nintendo's resources.

It won't be me that chooses, it will be the gaming population, and if you think this will move any significant amount of hardware, you're sadly mistaken.

And if you agree it won't move consoles, then that comes back to it being a waste of resources. Because they need to move consoles.