By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - UPDATED!!! MORE RUMORS: Retro Working on Diddy Kong Racing 2 (Wii U)

Do you like this idea?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 339 36.93%

No... Retro should do something else 281 30.61%

Only if they can do it an... 261 28.43%

dat fur... 35 3.81%

Total:916
*Sound Of Rain said:
KLXVER said:

A new IP > DKR2

That would depend on the final product

Not really.lol

Around the Network
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo proper has no grasp of how to appeal to the PS/Xbox gamer, you see this in everything from their advertising to the software they greenlight. There's no reason to believe they'd be any less clueless about how to appeal with them via an actual game. The only ones with credentials are Retro and Monolith. Monolith are occupied.

They do have the grasp. They've said on multiple ocassions that they don't want those gamers. They aren't trying to get PS/XB gamers. The fact that you're even using Monolith as an example of a studio that can sell to PS/XB gamers is telling. How many Wiis did Xenoblade sell? How many GCN's/Wiis did the Prime series sell? You're being delusional. DKCR sold better than every prime game.

No one cares about Metroid but Nintendo fans.

If they don't go after those gamers, Nintendo will die out.

And plenty of non-Nintendo gamers went for Xenoblade, it was raved about as the best JRPG in years. Likewise, Prime gave some serious cred to what was otherwise seen as a "kiddie" console.

curl-6 said:

And plenty of non-Nintendo gamers went for Xenoblade, it was raved about as the best JRPG in years. Likewise, Prime gave some serious cred to what was otherwise seen as a "kiddie" console.

@Bold I'm not so sure about that ... Most gamers weren't interested in JRPGs over the periods of last generation. Arguably, the best JRPGs actually appeared on handhelds rather than consoles so I would contest the idea that Xenoblade was the best JRPG but as for best console JRPG I can see myself sharing that sentiment. The only other group that does have a history of purchasing JRPGs would be Sony customers yet I highly doubt they'd pick up a WII to play Xenoblade seeing as how many of them think that the PS3 and especially the PSP were the best platforms to go for JRPGs and they also seem to think that those platforms have the best JRPGs which I can't blame seeing as their buying them in droves plus it wasn't a system seller either. 

As for Retro with Metroid you can bet that a lot of xbox gamers will think that Halo is the better sci fi FPS series however that's not to say that some of them won't be drawn to Metroid. It's just that they would see it more of an afterthought so I don't think they would be the other customers primarily purchasing Metroid games. 

I think it's best that NIntendo seeks out other customers rather than going trying to draw in the PS or Xbox crowd. 

fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

@Bold I'm not so sure about that ... Most gamers weren't interested in JRPGs over the periods of last generation. Arguably, the best JRPGs actually appeared on handhelds rather than consoles so I would contest the idea that Xenoblade was the best JRPG but as for best console JRPG I can see myself sharing that sentiment. The only other group that does have a history of purchasing JRPGs would be Sony customers yet I highly doubt they'd pick up a WII to play Xenoblade seeing as how many of them think that the PS3 and especially the PSP were the best platforms to go for JRPGs and they also seem to think that those platforms have the best JRPGs which I can't blame seeing as their buying them in droves plus it wasn't a system seller either. 

As for Retro with Metroid you can bet that a lot of xbox gamers will think that Halo is the better sci fi FPS series however that's not to say that some of them won't be drawn to Metroid. It's just that they would see it more of an afterthought so I don't think they would be the other customers primarily purchasing Metroid games. 

I think it's best that NIntendo seeks out other customers rather than going trying to draw in the PS or Xbox crowd. 

I'm not suggesting they only go for the PSXbox crowd, but if they want to survive, ignoring a large portion of the market isn't a good idea.

curl-6 said:

I'm not suggesting they only go for the PSXbox crowd, but if they want to survive, ignoring a large portion of the market isn't a good idea.

The problem is that Nintendo aren't interested in the so called "casual gamers" ... 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

The problem is that Nintendo aren't interested in the so called "casual gamers" ... 

Indeed. When your system isn't selling well, it seems logical to want to broaden your appeal, but Nintendo seems to mostly be sticking to their existing fanbase.

curl-6 said:

Indeed. When your system isn't selling well, it seems logical to want to broaden your appeal, but Nintendo seems to mostly be sticking to their existing fanbase.

I have a question although off topic ... 

Would you be in favour of Nintendo suceeding despite the fact that they'll end up alienating lesser customer bases such as the N64 or GC ? 

It boils down to ... Failure vs Disappointment 

curl-6 said:

Would you be in favour of Nintendo suceeding despite the fact that they'll end up alienating lesser customer bases such as the N64 or GC ? 

I for one would rather have them go out with a bang and give the fans what they want

KLXVER said:

I for one would rather have them go out with a bang and give the fans what they want

So appeal to the minority and have a platform cherished to no end with praises as opposed to suceeding while getting both hate or making a lot of people be content with their purchases ? 

curl-6 said:

So whether I'd rather it be mainstream and succeed, or niche and fail?