By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Nintendo shouldn't suck up to third parties

RolStoppable said:

Indeed.

Do you struggle to see the difference between multiplatform games and exclusives? The former require Nintendo to meet standards set by someone else, the latter don't. Or in other words, the former dictate what a Nintendo console should be like while the latter accept a Nintendo platform for what it is.

So third parties are bad but it's okay if they make exclusive games?  Then it's okay to suck up to them?  Maybe you should make a better thread title.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:

Is that really true? Does Nintendo really just have to be polite and everything will fall into line? You say they need to establish developer relations...but how? The problem is that publishers have decided that they don't like making games for Nintendo consoles, typically for sales reasons (which are often unfounded (see Mass Effect 3, Rayman Legends etc).

We know it isn't all about power for reasons like the fact that the Wii U missed out on a lot of games despite being powerful enough (games that PS3/360 got). What can Nintendo do without somehow promising more sales?

I'm not going to get all conspiracy theorist in this post and talk about how there could be a viable market on Nintendo consoles if third parties took a more fair stance towards the Wii U, but I believe that is a valid line of thinking too...

Well, it's more than just being polite, of course, but communication is pretty important in business.

I always go back to the interview with guys from Bethesda and Gearbox.  They said they'd been in constant contact with Microsoft and Sony.  They were given updated information about the new consoles and were even asked for feedback.  Nintendo, on the other hand, was like, "okay, here it is, k thx bye."  The response from most western developers was a collective shrug.  

That's just not going to work.  It's not.  No competent business runs things like that.  

Would it necessarily change things?  Honestly, I don't know.  It is, however, a damned good place to start.  IF Nintendo wants third party support, which they were obviously aiming at with the Wii U, then you can't skip that and expect to do well.

RolStoppable said:
pokoko said:

So third parties are bad but it's okay if they make exclusive games?  Then it's okay to suck up to them?  Maybe you should make a better thread title.

You really struggle to see the difference. I already explained it, so I can only advise you to read the post you responded to again.

The post where you said third parties are biased against Nintendo, yes.

Anfebious said:
Ucell said:
mii-gamer said:

Sony makes the best games for me. Try denying that lol. AND THAT GUY IS FUCKING UGLY.

Nintendo fans like you really get on my nerves.

Well that's of course in your opinion but we have to look at the sales data to objectively define the best games. And those are the ones that sell the most. In that case it would be Nintendo games. Don't worry though Sony games would enter in the top 10... maybe.

I'm sure if Sony conditioned their users to just buy Sony games (by whatever method) and ignore 3rd parties, im sure many of their games would be gracing the top 10 list as well considering they dominate the top 10 for consoles sales :-/

OttoniBastos said:
Yeah another "nintendo have the best games,third parties are peasants" thread.

1# - Third parties are not biased against nintendo.They just know what everybody already knows.Nintendo consoles sells nintendo games(or at least nintendo-like games).Games like rayman and skylanders sell great because they are colorful/cartoonish platformers like some of nintendo softwares.

2# - Best games? for you? or this is some kind of universal truth?! Believe you or not,there is a lot of people waiting for The Witcher 3,Arkham knight,Kingdom Hearts 3 and Destiny(games that are not coming for WiiU) as much as you probably waits ZeldaU.Been an exclusive or been a nintendo game doesn't make a game better than others.This is pure elitism.

3# - Xbox one is not selling that well but at least multiplatform sells great on that machine(it's not the same situation of WiiU).The OG Xbox sold a little more than gamecube but the attach rate was amazing.The reason why xbox one is selling bad is a combination of bad PR + strong competition.Plus,look at PS4! right now the third party games are making much more inpact on that console HW sales that any exclusive that nintendo released on WiiU.PS4 still won may NPD and probably will won june NPD again.

This.

And this whole Nintendo vs the world thing has gotten old real fast. We wont spend the next 5-8 years on this nonsense will we?

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Hmmm. Nintendo does have a problem getting 3rd parties. Most people that buy Nintendo consoles are just buying them for Nintendo games and either don't care about 3rd party games anyway or have other consoles/pc that they would rather play 3rd party games on. This isn't really working for Nintendo at the moment though, if they want really high sales figures they need for their console to have enough 3rd party support for it to be a primary console for non-Nintendo fans, if they manage that then 3rd party games will sell much better and they won't have a problem getting them anymore.

I disagree with point number 2. IMO Sony, Microsoft and numerous 3rd parties make better games than Nintendo.. Just look at sales figures and you'll see the majority of gamers agree with me.

3rd point is just harsh. Xbox One isn't winning but it's not doing bad. It is above where the 360 was in the same time frame and now there have been price cuts and with some good games coming later this year it will certainly pick up. Also, the upcoming COD (a 3rd party game) will probably be a very good system seller despite being multiplat.

speak for yourself ().

pokoko said:
sundin13 said:

Is that really true? Does Nintendo really just have to be polite and everything will fall into line? You say they need to establish developer relations...but how? The problem is that publishers have decided that they don't like making games for Nintendo consoles, typically for sales reasons (which are often unfounded (see Mass Effect 3, Rayman Legends etc).

We know it isn't all about power for reasons like the fact that the Wii U missed out on a lot of games despite being powerful enough (games that PS3/360 got). What can Nintendo do without somehow promising more sales?

I'm not going to get all conspiracy theorist in this post and talk about how there could be a viable market on Nintendo consoles if third parties took a more fair stance towards the Wii U, but I believe that is a valid line of thinking too...

Well, it's more than just being polite, of course, but communication is pretty important in business.

I always go back to the interview with guys from Bethesda and Gearbox.  They said they'd been in constant contact with Microsoft and Sony.  They were given updated information about the new consoles and were even asked for feedback.  Nintendo, on the other hand, was like, "okay, here it is, k thx bye."  The response from most western developers was a collective shrug.  

That's just not going to work.  It's not.  No competent business runs things like that.  

Would it necessarily change things?  Honestly, I don't know.  It is, however, a damned good place to start.  IF Nintendo wants third party support, which they were obviously aiming at with the Wii U, then you can't skip that and expect to do well.

We know they had communication with EA (remember the unprecedented partnership?) and look how that turned out. We also know that Nintendo did talk to some third parties about the specs of the Wii U (we have that testimony from Team Ninja and Gearbox and it can be assumed that they weren't the only ones: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=171023 and http://nintendoeverything.com/gearbox-nintendo-has-listened-to-wii-u-feedback-controller-specs-will-be-awesome/). We only know what we have been told and from what I've seen, Nintendo did take a lot of steps but not many third parties really cared.

Train wreck said:

I'm sure if Sony conditioned their users to just buy Sony games (by whatever method) and ignore 3rd parties, im sure many of their games would be gracing the top 10 list as well considering they dominate the top 10 for consoles sales :-/

I hope you aren't suggesting that Nintendo forced/conditioned consumers to buy their products, because that would be one of the most ridiculous statements I ever read.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
Train wreck said:

I hope you aren't suggesting that Nintendo forced/conditioned consumers to buy their products, because that would be one of the most ridiculous statements I ever read.

Almost as ridiculous as using game sales to determine quality?

#1 and #2 are both true (#3 is an apples to oranges comparison) and this is in part due to Nintendo's long history of not so great working relationships with 3rd parties (such as the forced exclusive agreements during the NES days to having to use expensive carts as opposed to CDs during the N64 days among other things), and also the fact that they make sure everyone knows their consoles are first and foremost all about their games and everything else comes second.

On the flip side, Sony for example has no problem sharing the limelight with 3rd parties and in fact actively helps support and promote their products, from publishing and heavily promoting FFVII in North America during the PS1 days (which was a huge reason why the game and franchise became so popular in the west), to bundling AAA 3rd party games with their consoles to help them not only push hardware (GTAV PS3 bundle for example) but also to increase the public perception that their console is the premiere platform for said titles (upcoming Destiny PS4 bundle). M$ does the same thing, not only promoting its exclusives like Halo and Gears but giving 3rd party titles like COD and Titanfall a big boost as well.

As long as Nintendo refuses to elevate 3rd party titles to the same level as theirs and promote them equally, they will continue to suffer poor 3rd party support, and 3rd parties will rightly be biased against them. And anyone who says Nintendo games like DK Tropical Freeze, MK 8 and Mario 3D World for example are above and beyond top 3rd party AAA titles, well, that's a perfect example of why Nintendo's console sales are in the crapper these days and why 3rd parties ignore Nintendo.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.