By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Nintendo shouldn't suck up to third parties

I think EA ruined Nintendo's feelings for big 3rd parties

Around the Network

I can only speak for me obviously, but I'd like to think my situation isn't that uncommon. I've only ever had one console per generation, not because I'm a fanboy but just because consoles cost money, I don't have a lot and the money I have for gaming I'd rather spend on games than console hardware. Because of that, I buy a console with the most number of games that I like, even if I have to miss out on games that look awesome but are on other consoles.

So long as Nintendo has such poor third party support, I can never see myself buying a Nintendo console because though in my view Nintendo has the best first party games, the majority of games that I like are made by third party studios. I would love to play MK8 and Smash, but can't justify $380 for a Wii U (in Oz) if it meant I missed out on the plethora of other third party games that I like. BUT, if a Wii U had those games and the majority of the standard third party games that I enjoy, even if they were lesser in graphics, I would probably buy a Nintendo console ahead of the others.

Your point about the XB1 misses the mark because (IMO) MS doesn't have the awesome first party games that Nintendo can rely on, so it relies on third party nearly exclusively. A Nintendo console with good third party support wouldn't suffer the same fate.

Yeah, Nintendo might hurt financially chasing those third party studio's in the short term, but it would have paid off if they'd done it in the lead up to the Wii U. Its too late to do with the Wii U now, as games started now won't come out until the end of the Wii U's life. Nintendo can keep tracking along their slow slide into irrelevancy while it still generates small profits, but eventually if the trend continues it won't be enough to keep them afloat.

Player2 said:

Just in case someone decides to question point #1:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=174711&page=1

That has nothing to do with point 1. How much do you think Dark Souls II would sell on Wii U? Who would buy it? Exactly. The statement in your link is absolutely justifiable and has nothing to do with 3rd parties being "biased against Nintendo". 

Get a grip on reality.

OttoniBastos said:
1# - Third parties are not biased against nintendo.They just know what everybody already knows.Nintendo consoles sells nintendo games(or at least nintendo-like games).Games like rayman and skylanders sell great because they are colorful/cartoonish platformers like some of nintendo softwares.

Yes, and this is why Call of Duty 3 sold better on Wii than on PS3, right? Because clearly Nintendo consoles can't sell third party titles.

Third party games sell poorly on Nintendo consoles because third parties treat the Nintendo console versions as lesser to begin with. They put less money into the Nintendo system development, they put less money into advertising if it's an exclusive or don't bother to even list the Nintendo system in the ad if it's multiplatform. Case-in-point, pretty much every single Call of Duty since World at War, where most of them weren't even confirmed for release on the Wii (or Wii U) until days before release, at which point it was just a "Oh, and it's also releasing on Wii", no video, no quality screenshots, etc.

In the rare cases where third parties put some effort into selling games on Nintendo consoles, the games do exceptionally well. Resident Evil 4 for Wii sold over 2 million copies. Shaun White Snowboarding sold far better on Wii than on other systems. Red Steel, despite the glitchiness and overall weakness, still easily sold over 1 million copies. Monster Hunter did very well on Wii. No More Heroes was Suda 51's best-selling game of all time, enough to justify making a sequel (another first for him).

Meanwhile, pretty much all of the big-selling "mature" titles from Gen 7 weren't even released on Wii to begin with, with many of the remainder being late, inferior ports and/or completely ignored in terms of advertising/marketing.

But please, keep telling us that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo hardware. Because we just love how the same old, tired, disproven talking points get used over and over again to attack Nintendo fans. Just like the whole "Wii was for teh cazualz", "Gamecube was for kidz", etc crap that went round over and over again with NO justification and lots of FUD.

Nintendo doesn't make the best games, not even close. Its in this order:

Sony > Rockstar > Ubisoft > Microsoft > EA > 2K Games > Nintendo > Activision Blizzard > Konami > Square Enix > Namco Bandai > Capcom

Of course I'm generalising here because individual games do vary but overall this is what I think.

As for lack of third-parties that wouldn't help any console. If X1 didn't have third-parties it would have sold much less than it has already.

Around the Network
OttoniBastos said:
Yeah another "nintendo have the best games,third parties are peasants" thread.

1# - Third parties are not biased against nintendo.They just know what everybody already knows.Nintendo consoles sells nintendo games(or at least nintendo-like games).Games like rayman and skylanders sell great because they are colorful/cartoonish platformers like some of nintendo softwares.

2# - Best games? for you? or this is some kind of universal truth?! Believe you or not,there is a lot of people waiting for The Witcher 3,Arkham knight,Kingdom Hearts 3 and Destiny(games that are not coming for WiiU) as much as you probably waits ZeldaU.Been an exclusive or been a nintendo game doesn't make a game better than others.This is pure elitism.

3# - Xbox one is not selling that well but at least multiplatform sells great on that machine(it's not the same situation of WiiU).The OG Xbox sold a little more than gamecube but the attach rate was amazing.The reason why xbox one is selling bad is a combination of bad PR + strong competition.Plus,look at PS4! right now the third party games are making much more inpact on that console HW sales that any exclusive that nintendo released on WiiU.PS4 still won may NPD and probably will won june NPD again.

1# kids plays in console too, that's why games like disney infinity, skylanders, little big planet and some others sell well, that is not something that happen only on nintendo hardware. nintendo games sell well because they are good and they have the advantage for being E rated, that make parents more confortable to buy games for their childs unlike the other systems when they have to look for hours to find some game kid oriented that isn't another lego

2# i say there are more people looking for smash bros and zelda and i am tired to see posts like "i will only buy wii u when X is out" "when smash bros U is out" "when zelda U is out" when starfox U is out". maybe these games will do a big impact on wii u sales, maybe not. Just like the games that you listed could do nothing for ps4 sales or even x1 sales

3# this is pretty obvious when multiplats are 90% of the library system

We reap what we sow

Ucell said:

Sony > Rockstar > Ubisoft > Microsoft > EA > 2K Games > Nintendo > Activision Blizzard > Konami > Square Enix > Namco Bandai > Capcom

Of course I'm generalising here because individual games do vary but overall this is what I think.

As for lack of third-parties that wouldn't help any console. If X1 didn't have third-parties it would have sold much less than it has already.

I am not in denial and think that the Wii U isn't trash. Maybe I'm crazy or perhaps senile.

Also, I'll give you a perfect example of why many third parties don't cater to Nintendo. Look at Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Namco Bandai put out the definitive version of that game and no one bought it. The game was of high quality and and wasn't some gimped port.

The real problem is that Nintendo fans usually only buy Nintendo games for whatever reason. Don't get me wrong, much of the third party support sucks big time but owners of Nintendo systems don't buy the quality ones either. So yes, Nintendo shouldn't suck up to third parties because Nintendo fans don't care about those games.

I will ignore point 3 just to do it.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

mii-gamer said:
Ucell said:

Sony makes the best games for me. Try denying that lol. AND THAT GUY IS FUCKING UGLY.

Nintendo fans like you really get on my nerves.

Ucell said:
mii-gamer said:

Sony makes the best games for me. Try denying that lol. AND THAT GUY IS FUCKING UGLY.

Nintendo fans like you really get on my nerves.

Well that's of course in your opinion but we have to look at the sales data to objectively define the best games. And those are the ones that sell the most. In that case it would be Nintendo games. Don't worry though Sony games would enter in the top 10... maybe.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"