By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'll tell you why Nintendo fans are so excited over 1 week's worth of sales.

I'm excited because Nintendo sales tend to have longer reach than Sony or Microsoft sales. So this could easily turn into Nintendo claiming second place in the console war. Nintendo has a lot of reasons why it can still turn things around, moreso than Microsoft. I think people have written Nintendo into third place too easily. Nintendo is the kind of company that once it gets going, it really goes.

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
atomicblue said:
Panama said:
Looking a little bleak actually. I sincerely hope VGChartz estimates are wrong, because if the Wii U couldn't outsell the PS4 for at least one week with its biggest exclusive of the year, then Nintendo are in trouble. And before people lecture me on Watchdogs being a huge release, it was available on 4 other platforms and received 2 months straight of negative press coming up to its launch.

It's worth remembering here that Watch_Dogs launched on the 27th, while MK8 launched on the 29th-31st in different regions (29th in Japan, 30th in US/UK/Europe, 31st in Australia). That means Watch_Dogs has had five days to boost console sales while in most regions, MK8 has only had two. I would not be remotely surprised if Wii U sales actually exceed PS4's next week, especially since MarioKart titles tend to have an extremely slow burn in sales.

Meanwhile, as far as the secondary-console thing, I think Nintendo are only looked at as a secondary console by "core" gamers, who are only a portion of Nintendo's audience... and besides that, I don't think it's a bad thing if those people still end up buying the Wii U.

The Wii U virtually has no 3rd party support, the mainstream gamer plays 3rd party, those who only play NIntendo games are a minority, the "casuals" that invested in the Wii U last gen have all moved on to other devices.

That's completely inaccurate. Most of the biggest sellers that pushed consoles last gen were exclusives aside from a couple of big franchises like AC and GTA.

Anyway, we shall see in a week if your assertions are correct. I suspect Watch_Dogs' sales will drop off a lot faster than MK8's.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Aielyn said:

Run away? Not at all. And you might want to look up the definition of "ad hominem", it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Disregarding my argument because you believe me to be full of it is the very definition of an ad hominem fallacy.

An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument.[2] Fallacious Ad hominem reasoning is normally categorized as an informal fallacy,[3][4][5] more precisely as a genetic fallacy,[6] a subcategory of fallacies of irrelevance.[7] Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact.

Smash sold 12 million copies on the Wii. It sold 7 million on the Gamecube. If you suppose that just a quarter of the fans of the gamecube version have not bought a Wii U and are interested in Smash Bros U, that's almost 2 million units it'll sell.

It sold that much lifetime. 12 million on a system with 100million units ltd is absolutely terrible. The 3DS is going to hijack a lot of smash sales, and the marketshare is even smaller than the game cube. You should adjust accordingly.

And that's assuming that not a single other person amongst the 5 million or more that bought Brawl are interested in the new game. Calling it "niche" and "party" in an effort to denigrate it demonstrates that your arguments do not hold water.

Calling it niche is simply describing what it is. The mainstream appeal of Smash is limited in that it is a fighting game. ALL fighting games are niche without exception.

Meanwhile, you seem to think that games sell systems in isolation. They don't. It's a cumulative thing. If you have 100 games that are all very niche, it's possible for their combined effect to be bigger than the effect of one big game. But I like how you dismiss Wii Sports Club as non-mainstream.

Why wouldn't the PS4 indies have the same effect then. You seem to be under the impression that Niche = Bad or something. It merely means it does not have significant mainstream appeal..

In other news, you claim that Wii Sports Club is "full price". It's $40 in the US, $55 in Australia. Also see Wii Sports Resort. I particularly like the part where you compare it to Kinect Sports Rivals, though. And now Animal Crossing also isn't mainstream, despite even the worst-seller being 3 million (and that was the feature-lite original game) and the best seller being one of the games that drove the DS through the roof?

You keep telling me that these games are Mainstream, but you have yet to explain why they appeal to the mainstream audience and how these games will move Wii Us.

Oh, and you do realise that the "push by Nintendo" was a concept, right? As in, a speculation? You also clearly didn't actually read my original post properly.

So you admit to baseless speculation. You say I am out of touch with reality and yet you think its reasonable to speculate that Nintendo will magically have a push at the end of the year. Ok.

Like I said, not worth arguing with you. Your arguments are just plain absurd, based in a very warped sense of reality in which CoD is "mainstream" but Smash Bros is "niche" and Wii Sports also isn't mainstream.

So COD is not mainstream? Smash Bros appeal's to a Niche audience a lot more focused then that of Mario Kart. Wii Sports piggybacked off of the casual sucess of the Wii, you're just grasping here.

Just because of Mario Kart, you think all of a sudden Nintendo's games are going to start selling gangbusters?

Smash 4 might outsell Mario Kart 8 lifetime, because of better legs but there is no way its happening this year, Mario Kart has more mainstream appeal then Smash, a meme from MK8 was featured on the news for christ sake, not to mention the 3DS version will definetly take away Wii U sales.

Everything else, will probably fail to outsell 3DWorld let alone Pikmin 3.

In the first 6 months of this year, the Wii U sold 1million give or take, you expect a sustained 700% increase because of Bayonetta, Wii Sports Club, X, and Some secret games? You expect the Wii U to sell more in the next 7 months with competition then the 12 months it was alone on the market + the 5 months up until now? And I have a warped sense of reality?

This is isn't optimism, this is even well thought out. Its as if you decided on the number 7.3 million beforehand, and just filled in the blanks with games and numbers. Hell, you couldn't even completely fill it up so you start adding vague things such as suprise titles, holidays, my god from December alone you gleaned 2.9 million sales from "Holidays + a Big push by Nintendo". You realize that this "Holidays + A Big push by Nintendo alone" would doubletriple the amount of Wii U's sold this previous 6 months and sell a third half of the Wii U's life time total? This period would sell 46 times more than Mario Kart, despite the fact that "Holiday + Big Push by Nintendo" is not a game?

Then when questioned on exactly these vague things are you, defend them by calling them speculation? Your not even basing your speculation on anything observable.

Do you see why your plausible estimation is nonsensical?

In fact, I realize now that I have been addressing this issue incorrectly, instead debating against the games you beleive will have titanfall-esque second coming of jesus type effects when really, I just need to highlight the HUGE FUCKING HOLES in your argument.

The Majority of your estimation is the Wii U selling off of Disney Magic alone, you have Wii Sports Club outselling Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, X, Animal Crossing, and WatchDogs. WIi Sports club selling close to that of Mario Kart 8. Then you have Sonic Boom selling at or lower than Smash 4 but Outselling, Wii Sports Club and Mario Kart?

Do you actually understand what crap you are spewing?

I didn't dismiss your arguments by saying you were full of it, I said you were full of it because of your arguments. Ad hominem would involve me asserting the falsity of your arguments by attacking you - I didn't do that.

Here is a full listing of franchises that sold more relative to install base in Gen 7 (consoles, not handhelds): Wii ___, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo, Kinect Adventures (bundled), Halo. That's the FULL list of franchises that sold better relative to install base than Brawl. And no matter how you cut it, 12 million copies sold is an impressive number for *any* game on *any* system.

... and, as with "ad hominem", it seems you don't understand what the term "niche" means (in context). By your definition, every game, ever made, is niche. Or are you defining fighting games as "niche" because you're not a fan of them?

The PS4 indie games could have the same effect. I've made no comment whatsoever about the PS4's ability to sell, or the appeal of any of the PS4's games. For you see, I don't try to denigrate PS4 or Xbox One just because I prefer the Wii U. I know, hard to believe, right?

You have yet to give a reason for why they don't. And since the evidence for franchises like Smash, Animal Crossing, Wii Sports, and Sonic is that they're capable of appealing to the mainstream, as demonstrated by the fact that all of them are well-known to the general public (who would never have heard of Bayonetta, and probably only know of Titanfall because of recent advertising, if at all). You don't get to ignore my evidence of their mainstream potential or ability to move systems, and then declare that I haven't provided evidence - argue against the evidence (with counterevidence), or shut up.

Not "baseless speculation" - it was a demonstration that Nintendo *could* do it. It's a thought experiment, basically. It's speculation of possible Nintendo actions - not an assertion that it'll happen, but an assertion that it could. Meanwhile, you've declared it impossible with no evidence to back you up. Who's got the baseless speculation, here?

I didn't say that CoD isn't mainstream. Try reading what I said again. I said that you consider CoD mainstream, but Smash Bros and Wii Sports to be "niche", with no evidence. I was pointing out the hypocrisy - either they're all mainstream, or they're all niche.

You assert a hell of a lot about what I think. None of that is within my posts. I didn't say Wii U would sell gangbusters. I said it *could*. I said it's not outside of the realm of possibility - and you have yet to provide a more nuanced argument than "all of the Wii U's games are niche because I said so".

I also find it particularly amusing that you point out that a MK8 meme made it onto mainstream news, and then use that to somehow argue that Nintendo's lineup couldn't possibly drive further Wii U sales... while ignoring that the meme turned up after the game released, and made it onto mainstream news after the current sales data period ended - meaning, it can't possibly have had its impact yet.

And finally, you seem to have misunderstood my sequence even more. The numbers provided weren't sales numbers for specific games. They were net sales of the system, assuming that specific games release in specific months. It's a cumulative momentum sequence - games being released in a pattern that builds momentum with each release. If you didn't get that, then you've clearly misunderstood my whole argument far worse than I thought.

The game suffered a steep drop in the 2nd week UK charts. I wouldn't pop the champange and declare mission accomplished so fast.

And we all know that the UK is not representative of the rest of the world. I just don't get how everyone either thinks MK8 is the most successful or PS4 Watch Dogs is the most successful, based on sales of fractions of a week - which weren't even equal in length.

We're going to know nothing for at least a month, and we'll still know very little until after Christmas, how the two games will compare - if they should even be compared at all.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
The game suffered a steep drop in the 2nd week UK charts. I wouldn't pop the champange and declare mission accomplished so fast.

Also looking like a massive drop in Japan if COMGnet is correct. Mario Kart 8 might be more frontloaded than people expect. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Aielyn said:
Ucell said:
Even with all those games its impossible. Metroid isn't big, MG wouldn't sell to a different audience than SM3DW and Zelda is only coming as a spinoff which is a DW-style game with limited appeal.

Even if they launch all their big IPs in a year they wouldn't sell that much. They never have sold that much in 7 months except in the case of Wii which had Wii Sports and motion controls unless they drop the price to $200 which they will not do.

So your reasoning amounts to "it's impossible, even with all those games", and "Nintendo systems have never sold that much (except for the Wii)".

I feel that is a good enough reason. I'll be surprised if it even sells half of those numbers in the next 7 months.

Ucell said:
Aielyn said:
Ucell said:
Even with all those games its impossible. Metroid isn't big, MG wouldn't sell to a different audience than SM3DW and Zelda is only coming as a spinoff which is a DW-style game with limited appeal.

Even if they launch all their big IPs in a year they wouldn't sell that much. They never have sold that much in 7 months except in the case of Wii which had Wii Sports and motion controls unless they drop the price to $200 which they will not do.

So your reasoning amounts to "it's impossible, even with all those games", and "Nintendo systems have never sold that much (except for the Wii)".

I feel that is a good enough reason. I'll be surprised if it even sells half of those numbers in the next 7 months.

In that case, I'm curious. If it's not games that sell systems, what is it?

atomicblue said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

The Wii U virtually has no 3rd party support, the mainstream gamer plays 3rd party, those who only play NIntendo games are a minority, the "casuals" that invested in the Wii U last gen have all moved on to other devices.

That's completely inaccurate. Most of the biggest sellers that pushed consoles last gen were exclusives aside from a couple of big franchises like AC and GTA.

Anyway, we shall see in a week if your assertions are correct. I suspect Watch_Dogs' sales will drop off a lot faster than MK8's.

Which claim is completely inaccurate?

Is the Wii U gaining not losing 3rd party support.

Mainstream gamer plays 3rd party? The Majority of games that sold hardware last generation where multiplatforms.

That those who solely play Nintendo are a minority?

Or that the casuals have moved on to other devices?

Where is your proof that only Exclusives pushed sales last gen?

Why do you suspect Watch_Dog's sales to drop off faster than MK8's, especially when MK8 is only on one platform versus 3-4.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Aielyn said:

Thanks. I now know not to bother arguing with you. Your entire argument summarises to "Wii U isn't Wii" and "only Mario Kart is capable of even making the Wii U sell that much". When you refer to Smash Bros as "niche", you prove yourself to be full of it.

If it wasn't an ad hominem fallacy, this claim would be irrelevant. You said that you will not bother arguing with me because I have been proven to "be full of it" by asserting my opinion about the mainstream appeal of a game. I explained why I believe Smash to be Niche. You respond by telling me I'm full of it. You sure didn't address the issue.

Aielyn said:

Here is a full listing of franchises that sold more relative to install base in Gen 7 (consoles, not handhelds): Wii ___, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo, Kinect Adventures (bundled), Halo. That's the FULL list of franchises that sold better relative to install base than Brawl. And no matter how you cut it, 12 million copies sold is an impressive number for *any* game on *any* system.

100 million. An attach rate of 12/100, but the point is not that brawl is a terrible seller. The point is that is heavy evidence for the argument that Smash has a niche audience. It failed to appeal to 88 million Wii owners. Why would that jump to appeal to 1/3 Wii U owners, especially when its also on the 3DS.

Aielyn said:

... and, as with "ad hominem", it seems you don't understand what the term "niche" means (in context). By your definition, every game, ever made, is niche. Or are you defining fighting games as "niche" because you're not a fan of them?

My defintion of Niche is that it does not appeal to what would be consider a mainstream demographic. The fighting game community is small and dedicated. Smash is Niche in that sense. I mean you could argue that "I'm claiming that every game ever made is Niche" but that would be wrong because the only context I've ever described Smash as NIche is in comparision to MK8, as evidence to support my Claim that Smash will not outsell MK8 this year. The issue has always been that it is not as mainstream as MK8.

And another thing, you seem to have a lot of presumpption that are flat out wrong. First off, I am fan of Smash more than Mario Kart, I love fighting games and thats why I can recognize they are niche, just like JRPGs in the US. You seem to think NIche means bad, I have an entire thread arguing against that very idea:  http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=182829&page=1

Aielyn said:

The PS4 indie games could have the same effect. I've made no comment whatsoever about the PS4's ability to sell, or the appeal of any of the PS4's games. For you see, I don't try to denigrate PS4 or Xbox One just because I prefer the Wii U. I know, hard to believe, right?

So you mean to tell me that a plausible estimation of the WIi U's performance should not take into consideration what the competition will do because you prefer the Wii U? That only sounds like a You Problem.  How is it plausible, when the Wii U does not exist in a vacuum? I integrate all system equally because any preferences I have aren't enough to sway my rational decision making process. I know, hard to believe, right?

Aielyn said:

You have yet to give a reason for why they don't. And since the evidence for franchises like Smash, Animal Crossing, Wii Sports, and Sonic is that they're capable of appealing to the mainstream, as demonstrated by the fact that all of them are well-known to the general public (who would never have heard of Bayonetta, and probably only know of Titanfall because of recent advertising, if at all). You don't get to ignore my evidence of their mainstream potential or ability to move systems, and then declare that I haven't provided evidence - argue against the evidence (with counterevidence), or shut up.

I have you have just ignored them. No evidence I present to you has even been addressed.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Aielyn said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
The only thing Mario Kart 8 proved, was that it was the only game able to actually shift a significant amount of Wii U's. It does not provide any information about the prospect of new sales, and every single game you listed has a niche audience, to expect them to sell better than MK8 is ludicrous. The Wii U is not the WIi in any shape or form. In the next 6 months it would have to sell better than it did for the past 2 years off of solely games alone. If Wii U couldn't sell 6.3 when it had the market to itself, what makes you think it will sell more in a quarter of the time with 2 heavy competitors down its neck.

This might come as a shock to Nintendo fans who regulary tout that Nintendo makes the best games quality wise, they don't. Not everyone likes their games and it is rare to find someone who likes all of their games. Hearing that especially pisses me off when you look at how they butchered the Paper Mario Series. The only game that I'm a fan of Nintendo for right now is Smash and I'm almost certain Smash 4 will be worse than Melee, which is my favorite game in the series.

Thanks. I now know not to bother arguing with you. Your entire argument summarises to "Wii U isn't Wii" and "only Mario Kart is capable of even making the Wii U sell that much". When you refer to Smash Bros as "niche", you prove yourself to be full of it.

Run away from the argument because you can't come up with valid counters? Resulting to ad hominem attacks? Typical.

Just because Smash sold the highest on the Gamecube doesn't mean its not Niche. Smash is a "party" fighting game, fighting games are not mainstream in the least bit way, that is the defintion of niche, appealling to a focused demographic.

You seem to believe that: Wii Sports Club, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, X, Animal Crossing U, Watch Dogs, Smash Bros U, Sonic Boom, and 2 unannounced games, black friday and holiday sales, and a "Push" from Nintendo, will push the Wii U to 7+ million this year.

Newsflash: None of those games are mainstream enough and will not outsell MK8 this year. And I can break it down for each and everyone why they will fail to meet your ludicrous Titanfall-esque expectations.

Wii Sports Club: See the effect of Kinect Sports Rivals, that fad is done. Not to mention the original was free and this version is full price.

Bayonetta 2: Hyped simply because its  an exclusive platnum game. The orginal flopped, and this sequel is on a much smaller and less diverse base then the original.

X: Might sell well, but is as niche as Xenoblade was.

Animal Crossing U: Better on the 3DS, its a life simulator that is not mainstream at all.

Watchdogs: Not only will it have the worst version, the game will probably have poor legs, at full price in october it has a worse chance then mass effect did.

SmashBros U: I've already explained, plus the 3DS version will dilute the market. It will not outsell MK8 this year.

Sonic Boom: Any Sonic Fan already knows how this will end.

Holidays, Black Friday: Xb1 destroyed the Wii U last black friday with 3 launch games. PS4 dominated the holidays with 2 launch games. This year its not going to be any easier than the last. Especially, when it was uncontested.

Push by Nintendo: This point you literally pulled out of your ass.

It won't matter anyway, your goalposts seem to be flowing in the breeze.

Aielyn said:

Not "baseless speculation" - it was a demonstration that Nintendo *could* do it. It's a thought experiment, basically. It's speculation of possible Nintendo actions - not an assertion that it'll happen, but an assertion that it could. Meanwhile, you've declared it impossible with no evidence to back you up. Who's got the baseless speculation, here?

Then what is the evidence that Nintendo could sell 2.9 million units off of holiday cheer with competitors, versus how it did December 2012? December 2013 gave us a glimpse and it sure wasn't 2.9 million. What are you basing your speculation on, possibility? What are you basing possibility on? Because it sure isn't history.

Aielyn said:

I didn't say that CoD isn't mainstream. Try reading what I said again. I said that you consider CoD mainstream, but Smash Bros and Wii Sports to be "niche", with no evidence. I was pointing out the hypocrisy - either they're all mainstream, or they're all niche.

You have no idea what I consider Niche. There is no hypocrisy, Niche is merely a term to describe the appeal of a game. All games are in a sense Niche because they appeal to a limited audience. It makes no sense to talk about the mainstream in this context. Thats why I said Niche compared to MK8. 

You assert a hell of a lot about what I think. None of that is within my posts. I didn't say Wii U would sell gangbusters. I said it *could*. I said it's not outside of the realm of possibility - and you have yet to provide a more nuanced argument than "all of the Wii U's games are niche because I said so".

Why can it? Unless you have proof of your claim its not even plausible let alone possible.

I also find it particularly amusing that you point out that a MK8 meme made it onto mainstream news, and then use that to somehow argue that Nintendo's lineup couldn't possibly drive further Wii U sales... while ignoring that the meme turned up after the game released, and made it onto mainstream news after the current sales data period ended - meaning, it can't possibly have had its impact yet.

That is evidence that MK8 has broad appeal, the news story is just icing on the cake. You have still yet to explain why any of those games will come close to the appeal of MK8. And yet you say its plausible for Wii Sports club alone to do more than half of MK8's sales?

And finally, you seem to have misunderstood my sequence even more. The numbers provided weren't sales numbers for specific games. They were net sales of the system, assuming that specific games release in specific months. It's a cumulative momentum sequence - games being released in a pattern that builds momentum with each release. If you didn't get that, then you've clearly misunderstood my whole argument far worse than I thought.

That excuse does not address the validity or plausibility of your assertion. If you are estimating the performance of a system over a long period of time than obviously it is cummulative. Furthermore, we already have evidence of how the Wii U is doing with its current library so far. in 17 months it has sold 6.3~ million units, in the next 7 months you predict it will sell 7.3 million units. If this hasn't set off any red flags, the fact that the majority of your games are outselling 3DWorld further goes against your prediction. That's also why i've compared them to 3DWorld.

I've said it before and I've said it again, just because MK8 has been doing well on a relatively poor selling system does not mean that any of the other games with the exception of Smash 4, and even Smash 4 won't outsell MK8 this year because of mainstream appeal.

If you think 7.3 is plausible for the Wii U in 7 months, what do you expect for the XB1 and the PS4? Or is your bias so heavy that you forgot that they even existed. If you want to convince anyone that the Wii U LTD sales are going to increase by 150% in the next 7 months, then you need a lot more than speculation and cummulative momentum sequences.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank