By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'll tell you why Nintendo fans are so excited over 1 week's worth of sales.

Ucell said:
Even with all those games its impossible. Metroid isn't big, MG wouldn't sell to a different audience than SM3DW and Zelda is only coming as a spinoff which is a DW-style game with limited appeal.

Even if they launch all their big IPs in a year they wouldn't sell that much. They never have sold that much in 7 months except in the case of Wii which had Wii Sports and motion controls unless they drop the price to $200 which they will not do.

So your reasoning amounts to "it's impossible, even with all those games", and "Nintendo systems have never sold that much (except for the Wii)".

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
The only thing Mario Kart 8 proved, was that it was the only game able to actually shift a significant amount of Wii U's. It does not provide any information about the prospect of new sales, and every single game you listed has a niche audience, to expect them to sell better than MK8 is ludicrous. The Wii U is not the WIi in any shape or form. In the next 6 months it would have to sell better than it did for the past 2 years off of solely games alone. If Wii U couldn't sell 6.3 when it had the market to itself, what makes you think it will sell more in a quarter of the time with 2 heavy competitors down its neck.

This might come as a shock to Nintendo fans who regulary tout that Nintendo makes the best games quality wise, they don't. Not everyone likes their games and it is rare to find someone who likes all of their games. Hearing that especially pisses me off when you look at how they butchered the Paper Mario Series. The only game that I'm a fan of Nintendo for right now is Smash and I'm almost certain Smash 4 will be worse than Melee, which is my favorite game in the series.

Thanks. I now know not to bother arguing with you. Your entire argument summarises to "Wii U isn't Wii" and "only Mario Kart is capable of even making the Wii U sell that much". When you refer to Smash Bros as "niche", you prove yourself to be full of it.

Aielyn said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
The only thing Mario Kart 8 proved, was that it was the only game able to actually shift a significant amount of Wii U's. It does not provide any information about the prospect of new sales, and every single game you listed has a niche audience, to expect them to sell better than MK8 is ludicrous. The Wii U is not the WIi in any shape or form. In the next 6 months it would have to sell better than it did for the past 2 years off of solely games alone. If Wii U couldn't sell 6.3 when it had the market to itself, what makes you think it will sell more in a quarter of the time with 2 heavy competitors down its neck.

This might come as a shock to Nintendo fans who regulary tout that Nintendo makes the best games quality wise, they don't. Not everyone likes their games and it is rare to find someone who likes all of their games. Hearing that especially pisses me off when you look at how they butchered the Paper Mario Series. The only game that I'm a fan of Nintendo for right now is Smash and I'm almost certain Smash 4 will be worse than Melee, which is my favorite game in the series.

Thanks. I now know not to bother arguing with you. Your entire argument summarises to "Wii U isn't Wii" and "only Mario Kart is capable of even making the Wii U sell that much". When you refer to Smash Bros as "niche", you prove yourself to be full of it.

Run away from the argument because you can't come up with valid counters? Resulting to ad hominem attacks? Typical.

Just because Smash sold the highest on the Gamecube doesn't mean its not Niche. Smash is a "party" fighting game, fighting games are not mainstream in the least bit way, that is the defintion of niche, appealling to a focused demographic.

You seem to believe that: Wii Sports Club, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, X, Animal Crossing U, Watch Dogs, Smash Bros U, Sonic Boom, and 2 unannounced games, black friday and holiday sales, and a "Push" from Nintendo, will push the Wii U to 7+ million this year.

Newsflash: None of those games are mainstream enough and will not outsell MK8 this year. And I can break it down for each and everyone why they will fail to meet your ludicrous Titanfall-esque expectations.

Wii Sports Club: See the effect of Kinect Sports Rivals, that fad is done. Not to mention the original was free and this version is full price.

Bayonetta 2: Hyped simply because its  an exclusive platnum game. The orginal flopped, and this sequel is on a much smaller and less diverse base then the original.

X: Might sell well, but is as niche as Xenoblade was.

Animal Crossing U: Better on the 3DS, its a life simulator that is not mainstream at all.

Watchdogs: Not only will it have the worst version, the game will probably have poor legs, at full price in october it has a worse chance then mass effect did.

SmashBros U: I've already explained, plus the 3DS version will dilute the market. It will not outsell MK8 this year.

Sonic Boom: Any Sonic Fan already knows how this will end.

Holidays, Black Friday: Xb1 destroyed the Wii U last black friday with 3 launch games. PS4 dominated the holidays with 2 launch games. This year its not going to be any easier than the last. Especially, when it was uncontested.

Push by Nintendo: This point you literally pulled out of your ass.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

um we havent even seen or heard to be confirmed animal crossing u so we cant say anything about that yet

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Official Ni No Kuni Fanboy:

Familiars Captured:37

Game Beaten: 2 times almost

Times I got teary during some scenes: 3

plus ever heard of the smash community? it isnt a party game for them

Bets:

(Won)Bet with TechoHobbit: He(Techno) says 10 million by January 1,2014 I say 9 million by then. Winner gets 2 weeks of sig control.

(Lost)Bet with kinisking: I say Ps4 will win April NPD while he says Xbox One will win it; winner gets 1 week of avatar control.

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Around the Network

I think people are misunderstanding Iwata when he said a single game can turn things around.

You gotta start somewhere and that start is usually with a single game. It's what you do afterwards to keep that momentum going that confirms that turn around.

He doesn't mean you release one game that sells consoles and then sit on your ass.
So yes, ONE GAME can turn things around if you build on it. If Nintendo does or not remains to be seen.

Nintendo should be dropping bombs every couple months from here on through the rest of the year but that's easier said than done.

What disappointed me was that Nintendo didn't capitalise on the small boost that Zelda WWHD gave the console last year. Five small boosts are as good as one big one. Maybe it would have worked, maybe not, but at least try. It doesn't cost that much.

OfficerRaichu15 said:

plus ever heard of the smash community? it isnt a party game for them

I am part of the Smash community, that is the very reason why it is Niche.

Competitive Smash also prefers Melee over the other installments. Smash 4 will take a while to be accepted.

Not to mention Sakurai doesn't consider it a fighting game.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

well one thing for sure is this will be a lot better than brawl in matter of balancing.

Also they are making flat stages and no items or for glory mode so thats good

i think they community will take it in quick but still play melee

Bets:

Raichu's First Series:

First RPG?

First Fighter?

First Racer?

First Shooter?

First MMO?

First Horror?

Little Mac will be absolutely broken on FD maps, plus I think removing platforms was excessive, as they are usually the saving grace for any character who doesn't want to get chain grabbed.

Max King of the Wild said:
DevilRising said:
It was a great week for Wii U, and people pretending otherwise are just trolling

Okay mister 500k WiiU minimum on mk8 launch

lol i remember that too.