By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'll tell you why Nintendo fans are so excited over 1 week's worth of sales.

Smear-Gel said:
Just saying "that's impossible!" and sounding smart but providing absolutely zero information would be (and has been) ridiculed if a nintendo fan did it.

When something becomes common knowledge a person doesn't need to provide information why. If I told you water is wet would I need to provide facts why before we could move forward in our discussion?

Around the Network

Well, in my short time here I've come to learn people make up their own meaning for words. Like using "brave" for "f*cking stupid" or "Absolutely impossible!" for "highly unlikely."

Experimental42 said:
Well, in my short time here I've come to learn people make up their own meaning for words. Like using "brave" for "f*cking stupid" or "Absolutely impossible!" for "highly unlikely."

LOL, no. And dictionaries back us up.

chapset said:
No wii u was saved!!!!! last Christmas too

The WiiU will also be saved this Christmas!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Max King of the Wild said:
Experimental42 said:

LOL, no. And dictionaries back us up.

I'm sure you think that, but it doesn't make it true.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
DevilRising said:
It was a great week for Wii U, and people pretending otherwise are just trolling

Okay mister 500k WiiU minimum on mk8 launch

Okay mister "my own random predictions have never been incorrrect". I never said it would do those kind of numbers for absolute certain. I did, however, state that I could see it or wouldn't be surprised. That said, 100k+ is still rather good, and a push in the right direction. So why be a dick about it?

For those asserting that it's not possible for Wii U to improve, I'm going to point to the DS. 2005 was a slow year for the DS compared with 2006 in a major way - for most months, 2006 roughly doubled 2005's sales, if not more than that (exceptions being March and November/December). What changed? Games. The right games were released, which drove sales.

Note that I'm not saying the Wii U will do as well as the DS. I'm saying that the improvement could be comparable, if not even better. Wii U could conceivably triple last year's monthly sales for each month from here until the end of the year, if Nintendo plays its cards right. Last year, it sold over 2.3 million units between June and December. 6.9 million isn't at all unreasonable in such a situation.

Note that this still puts the Wii U far below the sales that the Wii saw in 2007 (when it was supply-constrained) and around the level of PS3 and 360, both of which were struggling to get their legs.

Anybody who claims that 7 million Wii U units sold through the end of the year is impossible is quite simply wrong. It's not a trivial result, by any means, and requires a lot of work on Nintendo's part, but "impossible" is just plain false. End of story.

Hell, why not point to the PS3? For it's first couple of years, many people were labeling it a "lost cause" and claiming it had "no games". And then it recovered just nicely, didn't it? Again, as you say, that's not stating that Wii U WILL be able to pull that off. But none of us are clairvoyant. None of us know one way or the other, for sure, the bullshit that we talk in here is really true/going to happen or not. It's all honestly nothing more than subjective opinion. Which makes the local know-it-all types even funnier.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Run away from the argument because you can't come up with valid counters? Resulting to ad hominem attacks? Typical.

Just because Smash sold the highest on the Gamecube doesn't mean its not Niche. Smash is a "party" fighting game, fighting games are not mainstream in the least bit way, that is the defintion of niche, appealling to a focused demographic.

You seem to believe that: Wii Sports Club, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, X, Animal Crossing U, Watch Dogs, Smash Bros U, Sonic Boom, and 2 unannounced games, black friday and holiday sales, and a "Push" from Nintendo, will push the Wii U to 7+ million this year.

Newsflash: None of those games are mainstream enough and will not outsell MK8 this year. And I can break it down for each and everyone why they will fail to meet your ludicrous Titanfall-esque expectations.

Wii Sports Club: See the effect of Kinect Sports Rivals, that fad is done. Not to mention the original was free and this version is full price.

Bayonetta 2: Hyped simply because its  an exclusive platnum game. The orginal flopped, and this sequel is on a much smaller and less diverse base then the original.

X: Might sell well, but is as niche as Xenoblade was.

Animal Crossing U: Better on the 3DS, its a life simulator that is not mainstream at all.

Watchdogs: Not only will it have the worst version, the game will probably have poor legs, at full price in october it has a worse chance then mass effect did.

SmashBros U: I've already explained, plus the 3DS version will dilute the market. It will not outsell MK8 this year.

Sonic Boom: Any Sonic Fan already knows how this will end.

Holidays, Black Friday: Xb1 destroyed the Wii U last black friday with 3 launch games. PS4 dominated the holidays with 2 launch games. This year its not going to be any easier than the last. Especially, when it was uncontested.

Push by Nintendo: This point you literally pulled out of your ass.

Run away? Not at all. And you might want to look up the definition of "ad hominem", it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Smash sold 12 million copies on the Wii. It sold 7 million on the Gamecube. If you suppose that just a quarter of the fans of the gamecube version have not bought a Wii U and are interested in Smash Bros U, that's almost 2 million units it'll sell. And that's assuming that not a single other person amongst the 5 million or more that bought Brawl are interested in the new game. Calling it "niche" and "party" in an effort to denigrate it demonstrates that your arguments do not hold water.

Meanwhile, you seem to think that games sell systems in isolation. They don't. It's a cumulative thing. If you have 100 games that are all very niche, it's possible for their combined effect to be bigger than the effect of one big game. But I like how you dismiss Wii Sports Club as non-mainstream.

In other news, you claim that Wii Sports Club is "full price". It's $40 in the US, $55 in Australia. Also see Wii Sports Resort. I particularly like the part where you compare it to Kinect Sports Rivals, though. And now Animal Crossing also isn't mainstream, despite even the worst-seller being 3 million (and that was the feature-lite original game) and the best seller being one of the games that drove the DS through the roof?

Oh, and you do realise that the "push by Nintendo" was a concept, right? As in, a speculation? You also clearly didn't actually read my original post properly.

Like I said, not worth arguing with you. Your arguments are just plain absurd, based in a very warped sense of reality in which CoD is "mainstream" but Smash Bros is "niche" and Wii Sports also isn't mainstream.

Aielyn said:

Run away? Not at all. And you might want to look up the definition of "ad hominem", it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Disregarding my argument because you believe me to be full of it is the very definition of an ad hominem fallacy.

An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument.[2] Fallacious Ad hominem reasoning is normally categorized as an informal fallacy,[3][4][5] more precisely as a genetic fallacy,[6] a subcategory of fallacies of irrelevance.[7] Ad hominem reasoning is not always fallacious, for example, when it relates to the credibility of statements of fact.

Smash sold 12 million copies on the Wii. It sold 7 million on the Gamecube. If you suppose that just a quarter of the fans of the gamecube version have not bought a Wii U and are interested in Smash Bros U, that's almost 2 million units it'll sell.

It sold that much lifetime. 12 million on a system with 100million units ltd is absolutely terrible. The 3DS is going to hijack a lot of smash sales, and the marketshare is even smaller than the game cube. You should adjust accordingly.

And that's assuming that not a single other person amongst the 5 million or more that bought Brawl are interested in the new game. Calling it "niche" and "party" in an effort to denigrate it demonstrates that your arguments do not hold water.

Calling it niche is simply describing what it is. The mainstream appeal of Smash is limited in that it is a fighting game. ALL fighting games are niche without exception.

Meanwhile, you seem to think that games sell systems in isolation. They don't. It's a cumulative thing. If you have 100 games that are all very niche, it's possible for their combined effect to be bigger than the effect of one big game. But I like how you dismiss Wii Sports Club as non-mainstream.

Why wouldn't the PS4 indies have the same effect then. You seem to be under the impression that Niche = Bad or something. It merely means it does not have significant mainstream appeal..

In other news, you claim that Wii Sports Club is "full price". It's $40 in the US, $55 in Australia. Also see Wii Sports Resort. I particularly like the part where you compare it to Kinect Sports Rivals, though. And now Animal Crossing also isn't mainstream, despite even the worst-seller being 3 million (and that was the feature-lite original game) and the best seller being one of the games that drove the DS through the roof?

You keep telling me that these games are Mainstream, but you have yet to explain why they appeal to the mainstream audience and how these games will move Wii Us.

Oh, and you do realise that the "push by Nintendo" was a concept, right? As in, a speculation? You also clearly didn't actually read my original post properly. 

So you admit to baseless speculation. You say I am out of touch with reality and yet you think its reasonable to speculate that Nintendo will magically have a push at the end of the year. Ok.

Like I said, not worth arguing with you. Your arguments are just plain absurd, based in a very warped sense of reality in which CoD is "mainstream" but Smash Bros is "niche" and Wii Sports also isn't mainstream.

So COD is not mainstream? Smash Bros appeal's to a Niche audience a lot more focused then that of Mario Kart. Wii Sports piggybacked off of the casual sucess of the Wii, you're just grasping here.

Just because of Mario Kart, you think all of a sudden Nintendo's games are going to start selling gangbusters?

Smash 4 might outsell Mario Kart 8 lifetime, because of better legs but there is no way its happening this year, Mario Kart has more mainstream appeal then Smash, a meme from MK8 was featured on the news for christ sake, not to mention the 3DS version will definetly take away Wii U sales.

Everything else, will probably fail to outsell 3DWorld let alone Pikmin 3.

In the first 6 months of this year, the Wii U sold 1million give or take, you expect a sustained 700% increase because of Bayonetta, Wii Sports Club, X, and Some secret games? You expect the Wii U to sell more in the next 7 months with competition then the 12 months it was alone on the market + the 5 months up until now? And I have a warped sense of reality?

This is isn't optimism, this is even well thought out. Its as if you decided on the number 7.3 million beforehand, and just filled in the blanks with games and numbers. Hell, you couldn't even completely fill it up so you start adding vague things such as suprise titles, holidays, my god from December alone you gleaned 2.9 million sales from "Holidays + a Big push by Nintendo". You realize that this "Holidays + A Big push by Nintendo alone" would doubletriple the amount of Wii U's sold this previous 6 months and sell a third half of the Wii U's life time total? This period would sell 46 times more than Mario Kart, despite the fact that "Holiday + Big Push by Nintendo" is not a game?

Then when questioned on exactly these vague things are you, defend them by calling them speculation? Your not even basing your speculation on anything observable.

Do you see why your plausible estimation is nonsensical?

In fact, I realize now that I have been addressing this issue incorrectly, instead debating against the games you beleive will have titanfall-esque second coming of jesus type effects when really, I just need to highlight the HUGE FUCKING HOLES in your argument.

The Majority of your estimation is the Wii U selling off of Disney Magic alone, you have Wii Sports Club outselling Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, X, Animal Crossing, and WatchDogs. WIi Sports club selling close to that of Mario Kart 8. Then you have Sonic Boom selling at or lower than Smash 4 but Outselling, Wii Sports Club and Mario Kart?

Do you actually understand what crap you are spewing?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank