By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'll tell you why Nintendo fans are so excited over 1 week's worth of sales.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Aielyn said:

Here is a full listing of franchises that sold more relative to install base in Gen 7 (consoles, not handhelds): Wii ___, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Gran Turismo, Kinect Adventures (bundled), Halo. That's the FULL list of franchises that sold better relative to install base than Brawl. And no matter how you cut it, 12 million copies sold is an impressive number for *any* game on *any* system.

100 million. An attach rate of 12/100, but the point is not that brawl is a terrible seller. The point is that is heavy evidence for the argument that Smash has a niche audience. It failed to appeal to 88 million Wii owners. Why would that jump to appeal to 1/3 Wii U owners, especially when its also on the 3DS.

I've lost interest in this argument, so I'm just going to respond to this part to demonstrate how absurd you are being, and then I'm going to move on.

You claim that Brawl has an attach rate of 12% (actually, that's tie ratio; attach rate is a different thing). And you compare that to the idea of sales of Smash to Wii U owners. Now, other than the fact that tie ratios aren't constant relative to install base (as demonstrated by both Melee and Mario Kart: Double Dash compared with Brawl and MKWii), you're trying to assert early sales numbers based on long term sales numbers, and that's idiotic.

By the end of 2008, Brawl had sold 7.9 million copies. The Wii itself had sold 43.7 million units. That's an 18% tie ratio. And that's well after release, when Wii had sold its holiday sales for the year. If we look to the end of July, Brawl had sold 6.25 million copies, and the Wii was at 30.25 million, a tie ratio of 20.6%. And that's on a system that was hugely successful.

If we look at Melee numbers, the game sold about 7.07 million copies. The Gamecube sold 21.74 million units. So the tie ratio there was 32.5%. If the tie ratio on the Gamecube was about 33%, why is it unreasonable to expect 33% on Wii U?

Super Mario Sunshine sold 6.31 million copies, with a tie ratio of 29%. Super Mario 3D World currently has a tie ratio of 32.9%. Super Mario Galaxy sold 11.08 million copies, with a tie ratio of 11%. Are you really going to tell me that the best we can expect from Smash U is a tie ratio similar to the Wii, despite the Wii U sharing much more in common with the Gamecube?

So, in short, you are full of it.

Around the Network

Still excited?

Sorry it's still a flop.