By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'll tell you why Nintendo fans are so excited over 1 week's worth of sales.

Fusioncode said:

Yes I know. Now what does any of that have to do with my post?

They added fresh features to it. You can have an extended line of sequels and still keep it fresh with new ideas.

Around the Network
reggin_bolas said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Today is June 7, 2014.

The year ends December 31, 2014.

There are 6 months, 25 days, and 30 minutes remaining.

The WIi U will need 7.3 million sales in the next ~7 months for this to happen. 

The Wii U will need to sell a no less then a million a month, selling more this year than the past 2 years combined.

Sorry, sounds like bullshit.

Completely realistic with E3 bringing hype from games like Metroid and Zelda. Also, MK8 is easily pushing 1 million in the first month just by itself. Just imagine with the stellar fall lineup leading up to Smash. Smash could potentially move 2-3 mil hardware by itself the first month. It's going to be huge. 

This is exactly what I mean, one week and some Nintendo fans completely lose their sense of reality. No, this is not "completely realistic" this nothing but wishful thinking. Damn people, keep your expectations in check.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Today is June 7, 2014.

The Wii U will need to sell a no less then a million a month, selling more this year than the past 2 years combined.

Off the back of Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros Brawl, Animal Crossing City Folk, and Wii Fit (plus Wii Music), the Wii sold more than a million a week in the five weeks leading up to Christmas in 2008. Between those five weeks, it sold more than 6.4 million units. The idea that the Wii U could sell 7.3 million over 7 months is not unreasonable, if the Wii U manages to gather momentum, noting that it's got Mario Kart 8, is going to get Smash Bros U, is frequently predicted to be getting Animal Crossing U (expected to be announced at E3), and is also known to be getting Bayonetta 2, X, Wii Sports Club, Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom, and Watch Dogs. Plus anything announced for 2014 at E3.

Is it guaranteed, nowhere near it. But the possibility can't be dismissed so easily.

A plausible sequence goes like this:

June: 500,000 (thanks to Mario Kart 8 + a small bump from E3)

July: 350,000 (Wii Sports Club)

August: 350,000 (Bayonetta 2 + a surprise title)

September: 400,000 (Hyrule Warriors + another surprise title)

October: 600,000 (X, Animal Crossing U, Watch Dogs + beginning of holiday season)

November: 2.2 million (Smash Bros U, Sonic Boom + holidays + Black Friday)

December: 2.9 million (holiday sales + big push by Nintendo)

Total: 7.3 million

Note that this is not a prediction. It is merely a demonstration that, given a sufficient amount of momentum, the Wii U could achieve it. Note that the "surprise titles" would be titles of the sort that Nintendo wouldn't announce well in advance - typically, these are the titles oriented towards the mainstream, rather than gamers.

Also note that the games in brackets aren't meant to be a full list of titles, just the most notable ones - they're also attempts at guessing release months for various games.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DevilRising said:
It was a great week for Wii U, and people pretending otherwise are just trolling. The question of course remains how the sales will level out going forward. But, for one thing, Wii Sports Club is seeing a retail release pretty much worldwide in July, so that's one "big"-ish release. I also have a hard time imagining that there won't be at least ONE other significant Nintendo published released this summer, if not more. Bayonetta, "X" and Yarn Yoshi have ALL, in some fashion or another, been in development for 2+ years. They've all had plenty of time in the oven, so to speak, and I would be genuinely shocked if we didn't see at least one of them drop this summer.

Nintendo knows it need to do everything it can to capitalize off of MK8's success, and they also realize that their release schedule got pushed back far more than they obviously anticipated. They know Wii U needs as many games they can get out on it. So Smash Bros. HAS to be a 2014 title, and I would say that all those other games, except for SMT x FE, pretty much are a lock for 2014 releases as well, along with Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom, and whatever else Nintendo is going to reveal up it's sleeve come Tuesday.

Wii Sports Club?

Yoshi's Yarn?

Sonic Boom?

I wouldn't get your hopes up tbh. Seems to good to be true... Because it is.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. "Seems too good to be true.....because it is." ................what? Are you implying those games won't happen this year (because they are, so that's already out the window). Are you implying that those games are "nothing", so their release won't matter? Because that's entirely subjective and remains to be seen. The point was, that Nintendo knows they need to keep the games coming to keep MOMENTUM going. "Smaller" releases in between "bigger" releases is how systems maintain momentum. That's the gaming business. Finally unveiling "Zelda U", along with many other surprise titles, as well as showing more about games like Yarn Yoshi, X, SMT x FE, etc., will help build a lot of hype, and do a lot of good. People know Smash is coming, and there's already a lot of hype for that. I fail to see how any of that is not a positive, so long as Nintendo manages to get titles out in a timely manner for the rest of the year.

So again, I'm not really sure what you were trying to say.

Completely realistic with E3 bringing hype from games like Metroid and Zelda. Also, MK8 is easily pushing 1 million in the first month just by itself. Just imagine with the stellar fall lineup leading up to Smash. Smash could potentially move 2-3 mil hardware by itself the first month. It's going to be huge. 

So you expect no drop the coming weeks but a rise... And sustaing sales? I have a country to sell you

Around the Network
DevilRising said:
It was a great week for Wii U, and people pretending otherwise are just trolling

Okay mister 500k WiiU minimum on mk8 launch

Lol at people saying 7.3m in 7m is possible when Nintendo is producing 3.2m in 10months

Well you are fine with being happy with this week, and I'm happy for you too.
But then you read "predictions" for the upcoming times and suddenly it's not "fine" anymore. Do not lose your grip, or disappointment will ensue.

Max King of the Wild said:
Lol at people saying 7.3m in 7m is possible when Nintendo is producing 3.2m in 10months

Well I guess Nintendos not interested in burying millions of dollars in the desert like Microsoft.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Aielyn said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Today is June 7, 2014.

Off the back of Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros Brawl, Animal Crossing City Folk, and Wii Fit (plus Wii Music), the Wii sold more than a million a week in the five weeks leading up to Christmas in 2008. Between those five weeks, it sold more than 6.4 million units. The idea that the Wii U could sell 7.3 million over 7 months is not unreasonable, if the Wii U manages to gather momentum, noting that it's got Mario Kart 8, is going to get Smash Bros U, is frequently predicted to be getting Animal Crossing U (expected to be announced at E3), and is also known to be getting Bayonetta 2, X, Wii Sports Club, Hyrule Warriors, Sonic Boom, and Watch Dogs. Plus anything announced for 2014 at E3.

Is it guaranteed, nowhere near it. But the possibility can't be dismissed so easily.

A plausible sequence goes like this:

June: 500,000 (thanks to Mario Kart 8 + a small bump from E3)

July: 350,000 (Wii Sports Club)

August: 350,000 (Bayonetta 2 + a surprise title)

September: 400,000 (Hyrule Warriors + another surprise title)

October: 600,000 (X, Animal Crossing U, Watch Dogs + beginning of holiday season)

November: 2.2 million (Smash Bros U, Sonic Boom + holidays + Black Friday)

December: 2.9 million (holiday sales + big push by Nintendo)

Total: 7.3 million

Note that this is not a prediction. It is merely a demonstration that, given a sufficient amount of momentum, the Wii U could achieve it. Note that the "surprise titles" would be titles of the sort that Nintendo wouldn't announce well in advance - typically, these are the titles oriented towards the mainstream, rather than gamers.

Also note that the games in brackets aren't meant to be a full list of titles, just the most notable ones - they're also attempts at guessing release months for various games.

That is completely unreasonable. Wii U will barely manage half of those sales this year. I'm not going to go into the details but that is utterly impossible.