By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry complains about Mario Kart 8 dropping to 59 FPS.

curl-6 said:

*Facepalm*

Anyone who says they can tell a one frame difference at 59-60fps is a Jedi or a liar.

Not to mention most "60fps" games have drops into the 30-50fps range. (Ps3/360 COD)

Inconsistent framerate can be a lot worse than low framerate. Have you ever played Far Cry 3? I played it on PC at 60fps(seemingly locked) and it was choppy as hell. Any other game was smooth. There are a lot of misconceptions about frame rate.

The bottom line is never trust a number because it is always averaged and rarely locked. That's why most people prefer locked over inconsistant higher rates.

Also isn't it a bigger news that the game is NOT 1080p? Was everyone aware of that?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Yeah, I didn't notice the repeated frame in the vid in the article. The more noticeable thing for me was the aliasing on a few objects and ramps. Otherwise, the game looks pretty crazy!

oh god!! i wont buy this game anymore!!

repeated frame ? that means Wii U is even more powerfull right ?

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Let me get this straight--people are pissy that a tech analysis mentions that the game displays a duplicate frame every second? Should they simply have not mentioned it? Would that have made people happier?

Holy carp, way to pick out a negative among a lot of positives ...

Around the Network
vivster said:
curl-6 said:

*Facepalm*

Anyone who says they can tell a one frame difference at 59-60fps is a Jedi or a liar.

Not to mention most "60fps" games have drops into the 30-50fps range. (Ps3/360 COD)

Inconsistent framerate can be a lot worse than low framerate. Have you ever played Far Cry 3? I played it on PC at 60fps(seemingly locked) and it was choppy as hell. Any other game was smooth. There are a lot of misconceptions about frame rate.

The bottom line is never trust a number because it is always averaged and rarely locked. That's why most people prefer locked over inconsistant higher rates.

Also isn't it a bigger news that the game is NOT 1080p? Was everyone aware of that?

But 1 single frame out of 60? I find it very hard to believe that's naked-eye perceptible. Hell, Eurogamer themselves made no mention of it until after they ran it through a framerate counter. Their review never complains about it.

And it was pretty much known to be 720p for a while now, from screens and video. Eurogamer themselves were the ones who created confusion by incorrectly saying it was 1080p, and most of us weren't misled.

Loss of one frame drops?

*PRE-ORDER CANCELED*

Day 1 patch incoming? It sounds like this could be easily rectified. It's not even a big deal.

curl-6 said:

But 1 single frame out of 60? I find it very hard to believe that's naked-eye perceptible. Hell, Eurogamer themselves made no mention of it until after they ran it through a framerate counter. Their review never complains about it.

And it was pretty much known to be 720p for a while now, from screens and video. Eurogamer themselves were the ones who created confusion by incorrectly saying it was 1080p, and most of us weren't misled.

Seeing it as "just 1 frame" is easy. But how about "a small hickup every second"?

Of course I haven't seen it yet and being aware of it probably makes it worse but still. It's very easy to downplay it and attack people for noticing it.

Also, no, I was not aware that it wasn't 1080p. In fact I now feel very very stupid for believing in what alot of Nintendo fans were saying.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
curl-6 said:

*Facepalm*

Yes, everyone aware of the WiiU´s capabilites already knew.

The screenshots Nintendo has released were 720p from second one too.