By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry complains about Mario Kart 8 dropping to 59 FPS.

What? 59 FPS? Preorder cancelled.

Around the Network

They clearly said how unimportant this is to the game so I'll give them a pass seeing as it's not a dip on performance it's how the game was designed which is really odd. I can imagine if it was consistently 60 with occasional dips to 59 they wouldn't care as much as a systematic drop every 64 frames. Regardless it's a stupid thing to say about how distracting it is for them.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

To be fair, the article points out a lot of good things too:

"Tracks are alive and bursting with colour and animation backed by an overhauled lighting solution and a smattering of excellent texture-work."

"This is all enhanced by a convincing combination of real-time and pre-baked shadows that even take occluded edges into account. Complimenting this is a vast array of dynamic light sources, such as headlights, item boxes, and special effects, made possible by what we suspect is a shift to a deferred rendering solution. Even in four-player split-screen we see dynamic lighting play a large role in defining the visual design while simultaneously highlighting detail in the texture work. It's really quite a treat for the eyes."

"The world is further enhanced by the same atmospheric glow we loved in Super Mario 3D World, lending an almost hyper-realistic look to the surroundings alongside smaller details including a more robust particle system and plenty of decal textures. You'll notice plumes of smoke encircling the tyres as you jam on the accelerator, dust and debris kicking up when you drive through dirt, and rising bubbles when submerged in water. Skid-marks and other decals also help give persistence to each lap around the track."

"The frequency and pattern of [the 59fps] problem suggests an internal timing issue, potentially related to Mario Kart TV, rather than one of performance."

This scene highlights the attention paid to shading, with occluded areas appearing properly shadowed. Also note the subtle glow from the sky and the light source emanating from the kart.

The transition to what we think is a deferred rendering model has allowed Nintendo to liberally utilise dynamic lights. Headlights, each of the four wheels, the swirling particles, and even the lights lining the trackside are all individual light sources.

People only focus on the negatives I guess...

It doesn't drop to 59, it displays a repeat frame every 64 frames. That's a pretty strange design oversight, gross even, which takes be back to the PAL-NTSC issues of the 90's, but it shouldn't be an issue unless you know and try to notice it.

Pre order cancelled.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Well, it's not really the drop, but rather having one repeated frame every second. An odd issue like that is gonna be pointed out by a site that analyses technical minutia.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Way to picky, it's one frame! who cares lol I wouldn't have even mocked it if it dropped to 40fps every now and then. It's hard to find a console game that stays at 60fps all the time.

i m confused, wasn't MK8 touted to be 1080p by eurogamers sometime back?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-03-gorgeous-mario-kart-8-retro-tracks-compared-to-originals

curl-6 said:

*Facepalm*

Anyone who says they can tell a one frame difference at 59-60fps is a Jedi or a liar.

Not to mention most "60fps" games have drops into the 30-50fps range. (Ps3/360 COD)

I could actually see it, it was barely perceptible, but my brain was telling me that something was happening, like a very tiny skip/jolt in the image. Don't see why they are making a big deal out of it though considering the frame-rates on both Titanfall and Killzone. 

That is horrible news. 59fps? One extra frame?
Oh my, now the game is gonna get delayed for 2 months until they fix it, otherwise it will be unplayable.

What about the people that already paid for the pre-order, and didn't know this crucial deficiency? Class-action lawsuit coming soon!