By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry complains about Mario Kart 8 dropping to 59 FPS.

orniletter said:
Yes, everyone aware of the WiiU´s capabilites already knew.

The screenshots Nintendo has released were 720p from second one too.

I remeber one Nintendo fan telling me that Nintendo only releases screens in 720p and that it doesn't mean a thing. Don't know who it was though.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I love that digital foundry makes a huge deal about this, but the XBone version of CoD Ghosts dropping to around 20 fps at some stages was just like "yeah, it drops ocassionaly, but its to be expected with all thats going on"

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

vivster said:
orniletter said:

I remeber one Nintendo fan telling me that Nintendo only releases screens in 720p and that it doesn't mean a thing. Don't know who it was though.

Oh, I´m sure some wanted it to be true so badly....but honestly: The writing was on the wall....it just isn´t powerful enough to render a beautiful/ highly detailed game like MK8 at 1080p @ 60fps.

Shit, guess I'll have to got to GameStop today and get my money back.

vivster said:
curl-6 said:

But 1 single frame out of 60? I find it very hard to believe that's naked-eye perceptible. Hell, Eurogamer themselves made no mention of it until after they ran it through a framerate counter. Their review never complains about it.

And it was pretty much known to be 720p for a while now, from screens and video. Eurogamer themselves were the ones who created confusion by incorrectly saying it was 1080p, and most of us weren't misled.

Seeing it as "just 1 frame" is easy. But how about "a small hickup every second"?

Of course I haven't seen it yet and being aware of it probably makes it worse but still. It's very easy to downplay it and attack people for noticing it.

When that hiccup is only 1/60th of a second long, I doubt anyone would notice it if they hadn't been told it was there. No reviewers ever mentioned it.

Around the Network
orniletter said:
vivster said:
orniletter said:

Oh, I´m sure some wanted it to be true so badly....but honestly: The writing was on the wall....it just isn´t powerful enough to render a beautiful/ highly detailed game like MK8 at 1080p @ 60fps.

I see that now but the "No AA" part really gives it the rest.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

curl-6 said:

When that hiccup is only 1/60th of a second long, I doubt anyone would notice it if they hadn't been told it was there. No reviewers ever mentioned it.

Bumps on the road are also just a fraction of a second but you still notice them because it interupts the flow.

How dare Digital Foundry do their job and analyse the technical aspects of this game.

Typical Nintendo hating gaming journalists.

vivster said:
curl-6 said:

Bumps on the road are also just a fraction of a second but you still notice them because it interupts the flow.

A physical bump is a poor metaphor for a mere 1/60th of second frame drop.

Again, if it's so noticeable why has nobody mentioned it until now?

curl-6 said:
vivster said:
curl-6 said:

A physical bump is a poor metaphor for a mere 1/60th of second frame drop.

Again, if it's so noticeable why has nobody mentioned it until now?

I didn't say it's SO noticeably. It very well may go unnoticed. It's nothing unusual for games to not run smooth so why mention it? And as DF pointed out it has zero impact on playablility.

The problem is now that we know it, it will inevetibly be noticeable.