By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't get Microsoft's new Xbox tactic

celador said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
celador said:
They want to control the living room. If a husband wants to buy something to play games on and his wife wants something to watch TV and movies through Xbox is a decent option I suppose

A Wii U with a Smart TV is cheaper and allows them to do both at the same time.

If you are ok with playing games on a small screen with low resolution.  I wouldn't be

As opposed to not playing games at all.

When the Wife isn't using the TV, you're playing at 1080 60 fps,

but when she is, you can remote play, in fact XB1 is the only consoles without some form of remote play. The closest thing they have is smart glass and that is just input not display.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

actually i would argue that Xbox 360 is used a lot for netflix and apps of that sort. infact, PS3 is the most used platform for watching netflix so people using consoles for consuming media is a big thing. i dont see why it hurts to add these either. Microsoft has the money to put the resources into both gaming and TV and such, its just up to them to do so. 

The bad thing is when they focused too much on "TV", The main vision they had SO much focus on tv, remember this?  while it was a parody video it actually spoke a lot of truth about the reveal. Microsoft had way to much focus on tv and it became a bad thing. a Console should be a gaming console first, and a media center second, of course thats my opinion, but judging how things worked out, a lot of people seemed to agree with me.

celador said:
They want to control the living room. If a husband wants to buy something to play games on and his wife wants something to watch TV and movies through Xbox is a decent option I suppose

i dunno what your household looks like but...

...my wife and i have two tvs.  one hooked up to my ps4 so that i can play games while she's in the other room watching tv.   i'd never pay $500 to give her an xbox (or $400 for a ps4) so that she can access netflix or whatever.  o.v.e.r.k.i.l.l.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Squeezol said:
VitroBahllee said:

Hahahaha! You think that people who crouch on internet forums declaiming not to like anything other than video games are more numerous than well-rounded people who like video games AND watching television/netflix? Are you serious?!?! HAHAHAHAHA

Well, they don't care enough to buy an Xbox One. They have TV via their TV and Netflix via PS4, so they're fine with a PS4 that costs less and also has games.

Come on, that's a low blow. Xbox and PS4 have a similar number of games. And, to be fair, Sony has invested heavily in multimedia too. I don't think it's fair to lambast one and celebrate the other.

Hence the 'also has games'. I'm just saying that while people can care about both TV and Netflix etc. that for most people the 100 extra dollars to combine them isn't worth it. (XOne) 

bananaking21 said:

remember this?  while it was a parody video it actually spoke a lot of truth about the reveal. Microsoft had way to much focus on tv and it became a bad thing. a Console should be a gaming console first, and a media center second, of course thats my opinion, but judging how things worked out, a lot of people seemed to agree with me.

LMAO tv tv vt tle tv

MS mesage is convoluted. Sony was far smarter branded the PS4 a game console first and formost and all the other crap is scecondary.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
celador said:

i dunno what your household looks like but...

...my wife and i have two tvs.  one hooked up to my ps4 so that i can play games,. while she's in the other room watching tv.   i'd never pay $500 to give her and xbox (or $400 for a ps4) so that she can access netflix or whatever.  o.v.e.r.k.i.l.l.

A lot of people will only have one TV and so will want something under it that can cover as many bases as possible, and maybe for some people that is Xbox.  You're not in that situation.  p.e.o.p.l.e.a.r.e.d.i.f.f.e.r.e.n.t.

VitroBahllee said:
Xbox One is on in my living room whenever the TV is on. The Xbox One turns on my TV and my Audio Receiver and my Cable Box. EVERYTHING watched in my living room either is generated by or passes through the Xbox One. Adding more to that cannot hurt.

It's a start but the TV features on XBO aren't perfect. Like there's no way to use voice commands to access recordings, you can only use them to watch live TV. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Squeezol said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Come on, that's a low blow. Xbox and PS4 have a similar number of games. And, to be fair, Sony has invested heavily in multimedia too. I don't think it's fair to lambast one and celebrate the other.

Hence the 'also has games'. I'm just saying that while people can care about both TV and Netflix etc. that for most people the 100 extra dollars to combine them isn't worth it. (XOne) 

Oh I see. My apologies, I interpreted your message incorrectly.

Yes, I agree. I think that $100 price difference is the main cause of the disparity in sales. I really don't think it has much to do with a paucity of must-have exclusive games or superfluous multimedia content, both of which PS4 has also.

As a Halo fan, I can't complain.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Squeezol said:
cpg716 said:
Umm... Xbox is very much considered a media device. Between all the media related APPS (New TV apps are released almost monthly on the 360) on the X360 and being a Windows Media Extender .,.. so I am confused by your statement there.

Second.. SONY has the SAME plan.. People forgot that SONY announced a Playstation TV streaming service that will debut later this year.

They ALL want to be your MAIN living room device. Plain and simple.

The Xbox might be CONSIDERED as one now, but that doesn't mean it succeeds as one. It is KNOWN to be a gaming console, but it isn't completely considered one now. Also, of course Sony has the same plan, but it isn't their bigger focus.

Basically what you are saying is that when Sony stated they were gaming only you took them at their word even though they do plenty of things non gaming that will be access from the PS4.  From Music, movies and TV, including original shows and movies etc.  Hell, the PS3 is a pretty solid media device so to think that Sony will not do the same for the PS4 seems crazy.  The difference between MS and Sony compared to their strategy is that MS was dumb enough to detail their gameplan while Sony was smart enough to understand you only need to tell gamers what they want to hear.  

Now that I think about it, it’s a great excuse for Sony to use when people compare the media capability of the PS3 compared to the PS4.  Sony can always say, we are concentrating on gaming first while they try to patch in those media capabilities the PS3 has over the PS4.  Its smart and evidently it has worked wonders for Sony PR.