By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't get Microsoft's new Xbox tactic

VitroBahllee said:
Squeezol said:
VitroBahllee said:
Everybody who thinks the Xbox One makes no sense is clearly determined not to understand.

My WIFE is fine with turning on the tv through a video game console. Even -I- did not see that coming. Some people who like video games DO care about TV, netflix, ted talks, etc.

Yes, but 'some' is not really enough.

Hahahaha! You think that people who crouch on internet forums declaiming not to like anything other than video games are more numerous than well-rounded people who like video games AND watching television/netflix? Are you serious?!?! HAHAHAHAHA

Well, they don't care enough to buy an Xbox One. They have TV via their TV and Netflix via PS4, so they're fine with a PS4 that costs less and also has games.

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:
BeElite said:
VitroBahllee said:
Everybody who thinks the Xbox One makes no sense is clearly determined not to understand.

My WIFE is fine with turning on the tv through a video game console. Even -I- did not see that coming. Some people who like video games DO care about TV, netflix, ted talks, etc.

Or they are realistic since it makes no sense, not yet atleast. 

My tv does netflix etx, why do i need a 500 cable box add on for ? my cable box destroys the X1s tv features and streaming entertaiment, and why would i want to run it through my x1 degrading my picture.  Whats the real point of running two boxes to do what one does perfectly fine.  Voice controls, they work for me less then half the time could be my accent but if i have issues so will others.  And there nothing better then screming multiple times at your tv to change the channels.

Total BS. How does it degrade your picture? The fact that the X1 works WITH your cable box by HDMI passthrough IS one of its features.

Total reality, just casue its a feature mean means its perfect.  Nor does you wanting it to be great and perfect mean any one else will experience the same thing. 

avsforum had plenty whining about it, read the verge review they have a write up on X1s shortcomings when running a cable box through it. 

BMaker11 said:
SweetTalia said:

It's very simple, MS wants xbox one to be more than just a gaming console. They want the complete multimedia experience.
For your record, it's not just MS that's looking to bring tv features into their consoles, Sony is/will eventually.

The time for a console to do just games is over my friend.

Last gen, PS3 was bemoaned  for being a multimedia device. "I don't want Blu ray, internet browsing, and all these apps. I just want a games' machine. PS3 would be cheaper if they just stuck to that". Now it's all hunky dory? Guess MS fans pulled a 180 along with MS themselves.

I'm not saying that being a multimedia device is bad. I enjoy the fact that Xbox is going in that direction, as I've enjoyed such things since 2007 with media server, original content like Qore (when it still existed), Music Unlimited, and more.

I just find it odd that being a device that was built for that used to be a bad thing, but now that MS is doing it, Xbox fans think it's the bees knees. You realize they're following the model set by Sony, right? Justifying the cost with non-standard features. And before the XBone and its plans were announced (less than a year ago), that same model used to be called a "setback" to the PS3 by the Xbox community, even in the face of PS fans repeatedly saying that consumers see the value in all those things, resulting in increased sales and eventually outselling the 360. "If I wanted all that extra stuff, I'd pay for it. I don't want 'all the stuff to be equivalent to PS3'. I just want games, and 360 is the cheapest way to get there". This mentality was a big talking point on these boards not too long ago. Now you all don't "just want games"....and only because MS is doing this. If the vision for XBone was to be just a games' machine and not a "TV box", you'd all say "I just wanted games anyway". But the XBone's cost won't justify that because PS4 is cheaper for "just the games" (granted the PS4 has multimedia features as well). So you now think "added value" is a good thing.

Now, I know I may seem hypocritical, because I know I had that mentality when defending PS3 back in the day. But these things that made the PS3 "futureproof" were new to consoles. And if the PS4 was more expensive this gen, I would use that "added value" to justify that cost to myself. I'm just saying that Xbox fans have flip flopped on their opinions and everything that made them dislike PS3 is making them love XBone.

If the vision for XBone was to be just a games' machine and not a "TV box", you'd all say "I just wanted games anyway". & You realize they're following the model set by Sony, right? << that's according to you.

Anyways, the bottom line is, there is nothing wrong with MS trying to take over the living room with its all in ONE console.  I have not flipflop my opinion. Most people bought the ps3 back them for the bluray..I thought the console  was very expensive at launch just like I think xbox one is expensive now. I am just not sure where this thread is going ..as far as I know both sony and microsoft is trying to take over your living room...MS is just trying to do it better than sony.

Praise the One.

Sony has been making exclusive content for PSN for years and plans to make a network. They just haven't publicized it as much.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

celador said:
They want to control the living room. If a husband wants to buy something to play games on and his wife wants something to watch TV and movies through Xbox is a decent option I suppose

A Wii U with a Smart TV is cheaper and allows them to do both at the same time.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
celador said:
They want to control the living room. If a husband wants to buy something to play games on and his wife wants something to watch TV and movies through Xbox is a decent option I suppose

In my home this is not how we decide these things, my wife does not care about the gargets, she just does not want her TV watching to be disturbed in any way by my gaming habits... so having them separate is better in that sense, also, she made me disable voice control on the PS4, apparently it's creepy to talk to the TV.

celador said:

There's a better option. It's called a TV.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
celador said:

A Wii U with a Smart TV is cheaper and allows them to do both at the same time.

If you are ok with playing games on a small screen with low resolution.  I wouldn't be

badgenome said:
celador said:

There's a better option. It's called a TV.

I don't have an Xbox One but I'm assuming it has at least something that could be considered a usp when it comes to entertainment.  Not all TVs can be connected to the internet directly, original programming, voice controls something like that

Squeezol said:
VitroBahllee said:

Hahahaha! You think that people who crouch on internet forums declaiming not to like anything other than video games are more numerous than well-rounded people who like video games AND watching television/netflix? Are you serious?!?! HAHAHAHAHA

Well, they don't care enough to buy an Xbox One. They have TV via their TV and Netflix via PS4, so they're fine with a PS4 that costs less and also has games.

Come on, that's a low blow. Xbox and PS4 have a similar number of games. And, to be fair, Sony has invested heavily in multimedia too. I don't think it's fair to lambast one and celebrate the other.