By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I don't get Microsoft's new Xbox tactic

They have never known what they want with the XOne, first it was DRM and blocking second hand with the excuse to offer something similar to Steam on consoles then they remove that and they want to focus on games for the Xbox and Kinect.

Guess what's next? Probably Xbox One without Kinect.

Around the Network

Honestly, I think Microsoft screwed up relative to their original goals. I believe there were two factions within Microsoft at the inception of the Xbox project: those who wanted to make a videogame device and those who wanted to make a media device that would take over the living room. The latter thought that a game console would be the best way to accomplish that but, in truth, they probably would have been better off creating a cheaper set-top box. For them, games were a means to an end but probably not the best means to that end.

Now comes the Xbox One, which is even further from that goal, as it launched at the highest price-point of any gaming console--which, of course, means it's also the highest priced media box solution. I bet you a packet of Friendship is Magic stickers that Microsoft is looking at the Amazon set-top box with envy and jealousy. That could have been them.

Squeezol said:
cpg716 said:
Umm... Xbox is very much considered a media device. Between all the media related APPS (New TV apps are released almost monthly on the 360) on the X360 and being a Windows Media Extender .,.. so I am confused by your statement there.

Second.. SONY has the SAME plan.. People forgot that SONY announced a Playstation TV streaming service that will debut later this year.

They ALL want to be your MAIN living room device. Plain and simple.

The Xbox might be CONSIDERED as one now, but that doesn't mean it succeeds as one. It is KNOWN to be a gaming console, but it isn't completely considered one now. Also, of course Sony has the same plan, but it isn't their bigger focus.

Well.. You didn't say succeed (And we don't really have hard numbers on that, but new apps keep getting released by Media companies).. Point was.. The Xbox 360 is JUST as much a media device.. even MORE so right now then the Xbox One (since the X1 doesn't support WIndows Media Center like the X360)... Plus the X360 has about 3x as many MEDIA apps..  

With SONY going all in with a PlayStation TV streaming service.. that is a HUGE focus, and a HUGE undertaking..  SO I don't agree at all about it not being a major focus. If SONY succeeds , it would be the FIRST major blow to cable companies..  that is HUGE.

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m

This was the plan all along, as far as I'm concerned. Xbox has always been a Trojan horse to find a foothold in the living room. Personally, I couldn't care less about original programming, Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, etc. All I want are games.

They are suffering from arrogance. Sony suffered from arrogance as well thought they could increase PS3 sales by making it a multimedia machine despite bluray and such driving the cost out of the range of most whom would buy a game system.

It wasn't until they hunkered down and produced tons of exclusive good games that the system came into it's own. Given how they have spent on exclusives like TF I'm not sure how many more they can afford to reverse this. They don't have the size 1st party needed to make the amount of game content needed.

If they really want to be a multimedia device then a price over 199 is pure suicide. Why would anyone buy an X1 for 500 when a little 99-199 box does the media stuff consumers care about.

Around the Network
cpg716 said:
Squeezol said:
cpg716 said:
Umm... Xbox is very much considered a media device. Between all the media related APPS (New TV apps are released almost monthly on the 360) on the X360 and being a Windows Media Extender .,.. so I am confused by your statement there.

Second.. SONY has the SAME plan.. People forgot that SONY announced a Playstation TV streaming service that will debut later this year.

They ALL want to be your MAIN living room device. Plain and simple.

The Xbox might be CONSIDERED as one now, but that doesn't mean it succeeds as one. It is KNOWN to be a gaming console, but it isn't completely considered one now. Also, of course Sony has the same plan, but it isn't their bigger focus.

Well.. You didn't say succeed (And we don't really have hard numbers on that, but new apps keep getting released by Media companies).. Point was.. The Xbox 360 is JUST as much a media device.. even MORE so right now then the Xbox One (since the X1 doesn't support WIndows Media Center like the X360)... Plus the X360 has about 3x as many MEDIA apps..  

With SONY going all in with a PlayStation TV streaming service.. that is a HUGE focus, and a HUGE undertaking..  SO I don't agree at all about it not being a major focus. If SONY succeeds , it would be the FIRST major blow to cable companies..  that is HUGE.

Then we'll find out soon enough, I guess. Sometimes we all just have to disagree at one point.

celador said:
They want to control the living room. If a husband wants to buy something to play games on and his wife wants something to watch TV and movies through Xbox is a decent option I suppose

So they both go to bestbuy walk around, meet back in the middle- her with a roku and him with a ps4. A fine young employee comes up to them and says "hey! You don't need a roku or appletv, the ps4 does everything it can by itself!" Then they go to the checkout isle and

wait, what?

Sony is working on movies for a bunch of their IP's. Whats the difference? They have thier IP streaming tv thing as well.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

theprof00 said:
celador said:
They want to control the living room. If a husband wants to buy something to play games on and his wife wants something to watch TV and movies through Xbox is a decent option I suppose

So they both go to bestbuy walk around, meet back in the middle- her with a roku and him with a ps4. A fine young employee comes up to them and says "hey! You don't need a roku or appletv, the ps4 does everything it can by itself!" Then they go to the checkout isle and

wait, what?

said decent,not only

I think its just a tactic to try and justify the $60/year subscription fee for their online service... Sony has PS+ with great deals, X1 has Live with good deals + TV

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850