By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Can Nintendo Recapture Hardcore Audience with Wii U?

How Can Nintendo Recapture Hardcore Audience with Wii U at El?

Have a traditional E3 conference 50 25.38%

Zelda U 31 15.74%

Super Mario Galaxy 3 2 1.02%

Metroid Prime 4 23 11.68%

X 11 5.58%

SSB4 9 4.57%

Bayo 2 4 2.03%

New FPS IP 23 11.68%

Revive old IP 16 8.12%

Other 28 14.21%

Total:197
the_dengle said:
They already have it, everyone who labels themselves hardcore gamers who don't own a Wii U already are nothing but a fraud.

I don't own a Wii U, but thankfully I also don't waste my time applying arbitrary labels to myself or others based on what games they do and do not play. Other than "fraud," obviously.

Goes both ways, cant call a gamer some one who hates on MS and Sony while religioulsy proclaiming to never has never will own a Sony or ms console and (thats a majority on here) lot of frauds around it seems.

Around the Network

Nintendo already have the hardcore gamers, its the casuals and cool kids that own the others. I think they would struggle with the learning curve and difficulty of games such as W101 and Tropical Freeze. Ive beaten both, "I AM THE HARDCORE". ;)

I think if E-3 went just right (and by that I mean announcing two or three more BIG 3rd party titles such as Mega Man Legends exclusive for Wii U, ) as well as localization for Fatal Frame, solid release dates that aren't next year for Bayo 2 and Monolith Soft X, and we may see some change in Wii U's fortune.

Another way would be to buy a 3rd party dev that would be hard to ignore. Capcom, Sega, or Square Enix are the obvious choices here (and really the only 3 that would be financially wise). Capcom and Square Enix are in a great deal of debt, and Sega just looks like they want to be a part of Nintendo anyways. Sony is also selling their S-E stock and Nintendo could swoop in and pick it up.

Basically it boils down to games. They need games that cannot be ignored. They got SOME already, and trust me in the hardcore community it's turning heads, but they need more. They also need to be exclusive, multiplat games mean nothing to someone who has other systems they prefer to game on.

That's my two cents.

Nintendo had a year to do that. There's no recapturing anything with the Wii U.

It's too late, it's even hard enough to bring this core gamers with the next console to Nintendo but the question is if they have a choice: Nearly every casual gamer is happy with their console and can play with it for years, so they need the core gamers as their target group.

I don't hate Microsoft, I don't hate PC,
I don't prefer Sony, I don't prefer Nintendo.
...Ok, I love Nintendo but this is something about tolerance, ok?

I'm a gamer with one of the greatest hobbies and I want to share this greatness with everyone.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
They already have it, everyone who labels themselves hardcore gamers who don't own a Wii U already are nothing but a fraud.

I don't own a Wii U, but thankfully I also don't waste my time applying arbitrary labels to myself or others based on what games they do and do not play. Other than "fraud," obviously.

That's way too simplistic, if you're being serious. There are many reasons people who consider themselves gaming enthusiasts don't own every console every generation. The people who are frauds are those who don't buy a particular console for fanboyistic reasons. But those are not the only reasons people don't buy all console. I only buy one console per generation because I know that even with that one console I'll never get through playing all the games I want to play, so what's the point in owning a second console when all that will do is mean there's a bigger library of games I might want to play but never will. Then again I don't label myself as harcore either.

If Nintendo wants to make in roads into the over 25s market, a market they never really had so they can't REcapture it, then they need to take WiiU (or their next console) in a new direction.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Hardcore audience doesn't mean anything anymore.

Turn Metroid into a very bloody FPS franchise and make Samus' boobs even bigger! That should fix everything!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

jlmurph2 said:
Nintendo had a year to do that. There's no recapturing anything with the Wii U.

Agreed. Maybe with their next console? But it's too late for the WiiU.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank