By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What can Nintendo do to win the console race against competitors?

???

Nintendomination! 81 41.54%

Nintendoomed! 64 32.82%

Yo Mama 50 25.64%

Total:195

Does Nintendo really need to win anything ?

They just need to make the WiiU profitable, even if it doesn´t sell as well as the PS4, and keeping the 3ds interesting for consumers. That´s all

A company doesn´t need to be the number 1 to be finacially healthy.

BUT... they need to think seriously about the future of this market.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Mr Khan said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Power alone isn't enough. The 64 and the Cube ignored key industry trends/expectations (e.g storage) and both Microsoft and Sony are active in garnering support. Nintendo could have a system on par with the PS5 next gen but if they maintain the same working attitudes it would fail.

The question is if third parties will ever bother to meet them halfway. We saw outreach before the Wii U came out, and then the system arrived and aside from the wave of launch games, support is worse than ever.

I think the main issue here is the fact that Nintendo don't seem to make any serious attempts to get 3rd party support. They just assume that 3rd party will just jump on board their console for miraculous reasons, even when they provide very little to no support to 3rd parties.

We see that both Sony and MS go out of their ways to help advertise and even fund many 3rd party titles in various ways. In fact we've come to the point where 3rd parties have a big say in shaping home consoles as well, as seen by the design and support for the PS4.

Nintendo on the other hand isn't even remotely close to building such relationships with a lot of 3rd parties.

It's a chicken-or-egg problem, though. Nintendo also funds third party titles which they feel are worth funding (three-game deal with Sega on Sonic, or their alleged Monster Hunter moneyhat), but how many third parties have even come to Nintendo with games that are worth funding? Hell, Ninty gave money for Ninja Gaiden 3 (not that i'm complaining, as i rather liked Razor's Edge), a game widely reviled. To get top-billing for the games that are "worth" it (like, say, Assassin's Creed), Nintendo would have to really ante up, beyond whatever Sony's offering, and Ubisoft would have to see the value in that.

I think you just answered your own question. Look at the games you listed taht they funded. Sonic? come on he hasnt been that relevant since Genesis days. MH? thats good...in Japan. Ninja Gaiden?!!! please that game got a superior release on the PS360 ANYWAY so what did they accomplish there? Those are small fry, you said yourself they have to get top billing games and no its not the responsibility of the 3rd parties to approach them. THEY have to approach 3rd parties. And im not talking just Japanese ones, I love that culture and games but they are nowhere near as relevant as they used to be. And even then there big games are skipping WIi U. I dont see KH3, FF15 or MGS coming soon.

random15 said:
Fire iwata. Simple as that.

And hire Mattrick instead!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

maybe they cant win.

It's too late.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Mythmaker1 said:
A strategy Nintendo can embrace is thinking critically about their products.

It's not just a numbers game. The Wii U was a bad idea, and they allowed it to become a reality. However it happened, they failed to properly assess their market, and they need to address how that happened.

I'd suggest that the Wii U was a good idea terribly implemented, but it amounts to the same thing. The core questions behind Wii U's design is "how can we appeal to the core further while maintaining the expanded audience?" Good questions to ask. Nintendo's answers, or their attempt to implement them (clearly Wii U's outcome is different from their intent, with that 3rd party push we saw at E3 2011 which had evaporated 1 year later, still before launch) were what failed.

First Nintendo needs to re-awaken to their strengths which they remembered in the Wii era and have since forgotten. Then they can start taking a critical look at where they need to move beyond their core strengths again.

Agreed. I'm not sure the Wii U has much potential, and even if everything went right and they actually marketed it I think the problem would be the same, but to a lesser degree. But one way or another, fundamental questions about the system don't seem to have been aswered very well.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

At this point; nothing. Actually, that time has been passed a while ago. The very concept is at fault.

What remains is to save face, both for investors, consumers and developers.

Mr Khan said:
bonzobanana said:
The wii u needs some clever and well judged marketing and a large price drop.

It needs to appeal to the same people who bought the original wii. There is absolutely no point trying to compete with ps4 and xbox one head on. wii u versions of multi-format games are generally damaging to wii u unless its the type of game that has low cpu requirements so is competive with other consoles (2D platformers, race games etc).

I've got this horrible feeling just as Nintendo gets most things right with a mario kart bundle for christmas we are going to see a piss poor version of watchdogs released on it that actually damages wii u christmas sales.

I think unless wii u games occupy the space between 360/PS3 and PS4/xbone they do the wii u no favours.

How many faceoff's has wii u lost now to 360 and PS3? It seems like about 20 with only a few faceoff's being favourable to it.

I thought the problem with Watch Dogs on Wii U is that no-one will buy it. How could a version that no-one (certainly not people who don't already own Wii Us) will acknowledge or care about actually hurt sales?

That's the point though. The reason people won't buy these games on Nintendo consoles is because the underlying hardware is so weak.  Most of the wii u multiformat games I've bought has been from bargain bins at a much reduced price. I know there are people here who will support the wii u out of loyaty to the brand. I don't have that, the reason I will buy a wii u version of a game is because its a good version or is great value.

Who in their right mind would pay £40 for a chug a vision wii u frame rate version of watchdogs with reduced quality visuals when ps4, PC and xbone offer much superior versions for the same money. It's even likely the ps3 and 360 versions will be better going by the developers previous work.

The question can be asked how much research does the average consumer do before buying a console or what advice does a retail shop assistant give them.  Who are their other sources of information, friends, internet etc. 

I personally think a weak conversion of a already dated game that most have played on other formats is damaging. As was Mass Effect 3 at wii u launch when the trilogy was being released for other consoles.

On the original wii, did many care about Call of Duty on the console or did people know the console was too weak to play the game properly. I would suggest most people knew the hardware was too weak to run the game at the same level as 360 and PS3.

Clearly anyone interested in games is going to pick up some information about each console.

Looking at current wii u games sales its pretty clear many wii u owners are actively avoiding multiformat games on wii u. wii u exclusive titles get far higher sales. The one game that was actually superior on wii u, Rayman Legends actually had quite high sales figures I believe on wii u. Need for speed most wanted which had a more consistent frame rate on wii u and some improved textures actually performed very badly but as the wii u gamepad doesn't have analogue triggers it doesn't actually play that well on wii u and unlike Rayman Legends which was released at the same time Need for speed was released later when people had already played the game on other formats.

So in summary watchdogs on wii u will be late and inferior, 2 huge reasons why it will fail and do damage to the wii u brand. Lets not forget when you release a game late on a format it has to compete with versions for other consoles that may be heavily discounted with even cheaper pre-owned copies available.

1. Build a console 3rd parties want to develop for, don't make it underpowered and shove in gimmicks they don't want. 3rd parties make or break nearly every console, they should be the first ones you talk to before starting development on a new system.

2. Beef up the online component, add in trophies/achievements, improve the virtual console, and create a better account system.

3. Make sure you have a major system seller like Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Zelda ready for launch.

4. Better marketing, I can't remember the last time I saw a WiiU commercial.

5. Make a full fledged Pokemon game for consoles. Seriously, why doesn't this exist yet?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

bonzobanana said:
Mr Khan said:
bonzobanana said:
The wii u needs some clever and well judged marketing and a large price drop.

It needs to appeal to the same people who bought the original wii. There is absolutely no point trying to compete with ps4 and xbox one head on. wii u versions of multi-format games are generally damaging to wii u unless its the type of game that has low cpu requirements so is competive with other consoles (2D platformers, race games etc).

I've got this horrible feeling just as Nintendo gets most things right with a mario kart bundle for christmas we are going to see a piss poor version of watchdogs released on it that actually damages wii u christmas sales.

I think unless wii u games occupy the space between 360/PS3 and PS4/xbone they do the wii u no favours.

How many faceoff's has wii u lost now to 360 and PS3? It seems like about 20 with only a few faceoff's being favourable to it.

I thought the problem with Watch Dogs on Wii U is that no-one will buy it. How could a version that no-one (certainly not people who don't already own Wii Us) will acknowledge or care about actually hurt sales?

That's the point though. The reason people won't buy these games on Nintendo consoles is because the underlying hardware is so weak.  Most of the wii u multiformat games I've bought has been from bargain bins at a much reduced price. I know there are people here who will support the wii u out of loyaty to the brand. I don't have that, the reason I will buy a wii u version of a game is because its a good version or is great value.

Who in their right mind would pay £40 for a chug a vision wii u frame rate version of watchdogs with reduced quality visuals when ps4, PC and xbone offer much superior versions for the same money. It's even likely the ps3 and 360 versions will be better going by the developers previous work.

The question can be asked how much research does the average consumer do before buying a console or what advice does a retail shop assistant give them.  Who are their other sources of information, friends, internet etc. 

I personally think a weak conversion of a already dated game that most have played on other formats is damaging. As was Mass Effect 3 at wii u launch when the trilogy was being released for other consoles.

On the original wii, did many care about Call of Duty on the console or did people know the console was too weak to play the game properly. I would suggest most people knew the hardware was too weak to run the game at the same level as 360 and PS3.

Clearly anyone interested in games is going to pick up some information about each console.

Looking at current wii u games sales its pretty clear many wii u owners are actively avoiding multiformat games on wii u. wii u exclusive titles get far higher sales. The one game that was actually superior on wii u, Rayman Legends actually had quite high sales figures I believe on wii u. Need for speed most wanted which had a more consistent frame rate on wii u and some improved textures actually performed very badly but as the wii u gamepad doesn't have analogue triggers it doesn't actually play that well on wii u and unlike Rayman Legends which was released at the same time Need for speed was released later when people had already played the game on other formats.

So in summary watchdogs on wii u will be late and inferior, 2 huge reasons why it will fail and do damage to the wii u brand. Lets not forget when you release a game late on a format it has to compete with versions for other consoles that may be heavily discounted with even cheaper pre-owned copies available.

actually none Rayman didnt do that well period and the WIi U version was still beat by the PS3 one.

People dont buy 3rd party games on Ninty systems because people who are interested in thsoe games will have another system period. Ninty screwed that up with the N64 and its been bad since. Its not even about just graphics or power. If all your friends are playing COD on xbox are you going to buy the WIi Version? probably not.