By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What can Nintendo do to win the console race against competitors?

???

Nintendomination! 81 41.54%

Nintendoomed! 64 32.82%

Yo Mama 50 25.64%

Total:195

Killing Iwata.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
UltimateUnknown said:
Mr Khan said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Power alone isn't enough. The 64 and the Cube ignored key industry trends/expectations (e.g storage) and both Microsoft and Sony are active in garnering support. Nintendo could have a system on par with the PS5 next gen but if they maintain the same working attitudes it would fail.

The question is if third parties will ever bother to meet them halfway. We saw outreach before the Wii U came out, and then the system arrived and aside from the wave of launch games, support is worse than ever.

I think the main issue here is the fact that Nintendo don't seem to make any serious attempts to get 3rd party support. They just assume that 3rd party will just jump on board their console for miraculous reasons, even when they provide very little to no support to 3rd parties.

We see that both Sony and MS go out of their ways to help advertise and even fund many 3rd party titles in various ways. In fact we've come to the point where 3rd parties have a big say in shaping home consoles as well, as seen by the design and support for the PS4.

Nintendo on the other hand isn't even remotely close to building such relationships with a lot of 3rd parties.

It's a chicken-or-egg problem, though. Nintendo also funds third party titles which they feel are worth funding (three-game deal with Sega on Sonic, or their alleged Monster Hunter moneyhat), but how many third parties have even come to Nintendo with games that are worth funding? Hell, Ninty gave money for Ninja Gaiden 3 (not that i'm complaining, as i rather liked Razor's Edge), a game widely reviled. To get top-billing for the games that are "worth" it (like, say, Assassin's Creed), Nintendo would have to really ante up, beyond whatever Sony's offering, and Ubisoft would have to see the value in that.

That's the thing though. Nintendo only seem to be eager to support a handful of titles when the other manufacturers consistently try to create good relations with all major 3rd parties.

For a lot of 3rd party games, during advertisements you see at the end "Call of Duty on Xbox" or "Assassins Creed on PS". But I don't think I've ever seen a big profile 3rd party name like that attached to a Nintendo console. It makes sense then that 3rd party games don't sell on Nintendo hardware, because people (and I don't mean Nintendo fans) don't even know these titles can be bought on Wii U. I am imagining that Sony and Microsoft actively seek out any opportunities to advertise such large releases on their consoles. This feels like such a wasted opportunity since Nintendo could have the potential to market their console as one that plays both Call of Duty and Mario, two of the biggest franchises in existence, serving a very wide audience.

I remember Bathesda once saying that Sony and MS always keep the 3rd parties informed of their hardware manufacturing process, yet the same can not be said from Nintendo.

JayWood2010 said:

-Make New Ip's that are treated equally as their already existing ip's.  People want more than mario.

-Listen to fans and bring back some of your core games instead of only focusing on mario

-Stop acting like their games are the only ones that matters.  Third Party games are a staple in the industry so listen to them.

-Make equivelent hardware as XBO/PS4

-Stop with the casual focus. Hardcore will stay, casuals wont

-Dont put all your focus on doing platformers all the time.  Gaming has changed a lot since the 90's

-Make a better online network.  Miiverse was a good idea but too heavily controlled and Nintendo still wont take advantage of online.  Just look at NSMB and SUper Mario 3D World.  Two games that could of had good online but they said screw you.

-Actually show up to e3.  THis is where the media is, not Nintendo direct.

-Focus on their message rather than saying Please understand

-Present themselves as people instead of the awkward showing we get at Nintendo Directs.

Now i dont know if Nintendo will ever outsell its competitors or not but these are things that must be done to at least stay competitive.  Just because you dont outsale everything doesnt mean you cant be successful.

Doesn't the Gamecube fulfill a lot of the points you mentioned?

The wii u needs some clever and well judged marketing and a large price drop.

It needs to appeal to the same people who bought the original wii. There is absolutely no point trying to compete with ps4 and xbox one head on. wii u versions of multi-format games are generally damaging to wii u unless its the type of game that has low cpu requirements so is competive with other consoles (2D platformers, race games etc).

I've got this horrible feeling just as Nintendo gets most things right with a mario kart bundle for christmas we are going to see a piss poor version of watchdogs released on it that actually damages wii u christmas sales.

I think unless wii u games occupy the space between 360/PS3 and PS4/xbone they do the wii u no favours.

How many faceoff's has wii u lost now to 360 and PS3? It seems like about 20 with only a few faceoff's being favourable to it.

They need to ask themselves two very simple question:

"When is the last time Mickey Mouse cartoons were relevant?"

and

"How come Disney is still on the top of their game, despite their main symbol being nowhere near as popular as it used to be?"

I believe they can extrapolate everything else, both hardware and software related, from answers to those two questions.

Around the Network

The most important thing they need to do is to stop trying to dictate when a generation starts and ends. They are not in the position to do so, and end up paying heavily by having outdated, or overpriced systems at the wrong time when consumers have better alternatives from Sony and MS.

Since they can last for years without making money, they should keep the wii U alive until PS5/Xbox two and then rival those consoles on specifications and price, and as an incentive keep online play free.

I would do this:
1). Release a new console: backwards compatibility with the Wii U and if possible the Wii. Power needs to be between the XB1's and PS4's power or better (if 2016 or later, better), everything less is not good enough. Price needs to be competitive with the PS4 and XB1, like $400.
2). Work on your network, it's shit.
3). Have a good controller on par with the Xbox One controller and the Dualshock 4.
4). Make sure all 3rd party games that come to XB1 and PS4 also come to the new console.

bonzobanana said:
The wii u needs some clever and well judged marketing and a large price drop.

It needs to appeal to the same people who bought the original wii. There is absolutely no point trying to compete with ps4 and xbox one head on. wii u versions of multi-format games are generally damaging to wii u unless its the type of game that has low cpu requirements so is competive with other consoles (2D platformers, race games etc).

I've got this horrible feeling just as Nintendo gets most things right with a mario kart bundle for christmas we are going to see a piss poor version of watchdogs released on it that actually damages wii u christmas sales.

I think unless wii u games occupy the space between 360/PS3 and PS4/xbone they do the wii u no favours.

How many faceoff's has wii u lost now to 360 and PS3? It seems like about 20 with only a few faceoff's being favourable to it.

I thought the problem with Watch Dogs on Wii U is that no-one will buy it. How could a version that no-one (certainly not people who don't already own Wii Us) will acknowledge or care about actually hurt sales?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

UltimateUnknown said:
JayWood2010 said:

-Make New Ip's that are treated equally as their already existing ip's.  People want more than mario.

-Listen to fans and bring back some of your core games instead of only focusing on mario

-Stop acting like their games are the only ones that matters.  Third Party games are a staple in the industry so listen to them.

-Make equivelent hardware as XBO/PS4

-Stop with the casual focus. Hardcore will stay, casuals wont

-Dont put all your focus on doing platformers all the time.  Gaming has changed a lot since the 90's

-Make a better online network.  Miiverse was a good idea but too heavily controlled and Nintendo still wont take advantage of online.  Just look at NSMB and SUper Mario 3D World.  Two games that could of had good online but they said screw you.

-Actually show up to e3.  THis is where the media is, not Nintendo direct.

-Focus on their message rather than saying Please understand

-Present themselves as people instead of the awkward showing we get at Nintendo Directs.

Now i dont know if Nintendo will ever outsell its competitors or not but these are things that must be done to at least stay competitive.  Just because you dont outsale everything doesnt mean you cant be successful.

Doesn't the Gamecube fulfill a lot of the points you mentioned?

Some points, and no on some other points.

But no not reallly even then.  They had a little more focus on the core with third parties and power but as for many other things no. 

I mean realyl i think the huge issue is Nintendo is becoming irrelevant in todays world.  Kids are of course still playing Mario and all that, but theyre also playing Call of Duty, Halo, and other games like this.  Nintendo's focus on Mario and mainly platformers is hurting them.  Its ok to still have mario and other platformers as big hit franchises but completely disregarding everything else is a little foolish in my opinion.  Where is the diversity?  Saying theyre innovative is one thing but they show very little of this when it comes to creating new franchises.  I mean what has been some big new ip's theyve worked on in the last decade?  Not just for the wiiu but with the wii also.  Wii Sports? Xenoblade? 

Nintendo did a great job at putting themselves in their position by focusing on the family orientation and casuals.  Now they not only have an issue with hardware but they have a perception issue as not having more hardcore games, and theyre to blame for this.  And why would third parties jump ship when they wont help their own console out?

Its like ok im making a console who am i going to appeal to?  Well we want the 2D Mari fans lets make that.  Ok so we did that, but we just made one for 3ds.  Now lets make a 3d mario for those fans, but we also just made one of those for 3ds.  Ok lets make a mario kart that we also just made for 3ds.  Hey lets do a Donkey Kong Country that we just released for 3DS.  Lets release one of our biggest system seller, smash bros but lets release it for 3ds first.  So mr iwata what do we do now?  I think we should make another mario game, we dont have enough of that.

How about a new ip that is completely unlike a nintendo-esque game to appeal to more than just one group of gamers. Maybe focus a little more on bringing completely new stuff like X and Xenoblade rather than focusing on games of yesterday only.  So not only are they excluding genres but theyre also excluding fan favorite franchises.  And hey yeah ill get my zelda at some point or the other but is it enough to get people to buy a console yet again for?

TheLastStarFighter said:
They need a product which seems cool and software that provides value.

The first part is a major problem with Wii U. Wii's style and brand was fresh at release. 6 years later it wasn't. Wii U should have gone in a whole new design, one that appealed to people who want the latest thing. By the time Wii U's life is done it will be wearing clothes more than a decade old.

The second problem can only be solved by Nintendo acquiring more 1st/2nd party studios or gaining 3rd party support. A Nintendo console with full 3rd party backing would be an extremely compelling sell. Certain 3rd parties don't want Nintendo in the console business, however, so that's easier said than done. Picking up two large studios, ones that can produce one AAA a year each, would help address the issue, especially if they were making games in genres such as shooters, RPGs, racing sims and mature adventure titles - and making them well. As it stands, Nintendo simply does not have the amount of software and the software diversity to compete with MS and Sony for many gamers. They need to expand or woo 3rd parties in a big way.

what was the lastest thing? Exactly, you CANT replicate the WIi every gen, thats impossible