By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So, After Titan Fall

After Titan Fall, Xb1 sales will mirror the Wii U until KSR comes out, and when that releases a "So, Kinect Sports Rivals didn't move consoles" thread will be posted. With this grim outlook, coupled with major retailers slashing price drastically, I believe its only a matter of time before retailers realize that ordering XB1s is to risky, especially when the shipped number has yet to evolve into sales.

So, with all these in mind, its only a matter of time before the Xb 1 is treated by retailers exactly the same as the Wii U. And you all will look up and shout  "Oh Dr. Killinger why would such a thing happen?  Surely, the XB1 has sold better than the Wii U!" and I'll whisper "Silly Billy"

Wii U sold well in its launch too, but when retailers realized it wasn't flying off the shelves they were all like:

Since the XB1 cost more than the Wii U, the price cuts hurt it more, and retailers aren't gonna wanna sell xb1s for 400$ or less unless MS pays em.

Can the Xbox One Survive until the next exclusive xb1 release?

Can the Sony finally gets it act together and fix the supply issues of PS4 before the hype demand dies down?

Can the Wii U be saved with Bayonetta and X?

And what of the mysterious steam boxes from the future who threaten our console heroes?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Considering both X1 and PS4 seem to be available in quite big numbers, the "supply constrained" claims seem to be pure hype, nothing else. So, if X1 would drop down to WiiU levels, and PS4 continue to move around 130k units each week, would you say the whole industry is on its way out?

I still think it's a little early so it's still good to stay optimistic. Lord knows how good the Xbox one will do once it's released in another 26 territories. The Wii U should see sales rise once their heavy hitters are launched. This really is not very good for gaming to see two consoles fail and one dominate. Same goes for the Vita being dominated by the 3ds. I swear this is beginning to look like 6th gen.

It's still a little bit early, but I kinda agree. Everything looks like PS4 Domination. Only in the states the X1 is selling somewhat decent. But everywhere else, it bombed pretty hard. That's why I also think those Tier 2 countries won't do jack shit. The X1 just isn't popular in europe and asia. And one single country, even if it's the USA, can't save a console.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

We really 3 competitive consoles.
I know a lot WiiU fans hate MS but without MS nothing is stopping Sony from increasing prices like they did in Canada.

Around the Network

Still too early to say for the XB1, which does have more going for it in the future than the Wii U did upon launch.

I'd argue that the only real future selling point of the Wii U was the upcoming Nintendo franchises we all knew were in the pipeline. Yes, it has some really nice TV remote functions, and the digital marketplace for DD apps can fill in the space between major retail releases, but these are not compelling reasons for most consumers to buy a Wii U. It failed to ignite as did Wii Sports and again with Wii Fit and now in the second year of release, it's simply drifting.

But don't put faith in the notion that the reason why the PS4 is killing the XB1 is because it's available in 26 more markets. That's completely false unless you believe that MS so incompetently handled the launch of one of their most important entertainment devices that they chose to glut fewer markets with unsold units than move that inventory to those 26 territories in which you assume consumers are currently waiting in line to buy an XB1.

I don't believe MS handled their launch incompetently.

The XB1 has enough coming in its first year to move units; right now will likely go down as the lowest point of sales with a $500 price mark in the wake of a product launch. I don't compare a $500 console with one that entered the market at $350 and expect both to perform or tank the same way. As we've already seen, the XB1 has plenty of space to move down in market MSRP wise. When we see a $400 XB1 available everywhere (not just select discounts in limited quantities) fail to move hardware as the XB1 catalog expands, that's when the real red flags should be waving.

But this week's numbers say that Titanfall was far from the killer app to make consumers buy a $500 console in significant numbers. The follow up week's sales will be far more telling. Assuming they don't go up (unlikely), then it's fair to say that Titanfall had minimal effect on XB1 sales.

A cat is mortal. Sokrates died. Therefore Sokrates was a cat.

I fear the OP may be right, but I hope not. There will be nothing to choose anymore. I allready own a Wii U and when the X1 releases in the Netherlands this september I'll buy one too just to back up the underdogs. I'll have my own couple of Dreamcasts...

Ka-pi96 said:
The Xbox One will be fine. Never underestimate the Halo effect.

Like the Halo effect with the first Xbox? I'd say don't overestimate the Halo effect. I've said it many times. Halo's fanbase did not expand very much at all considering Xbox 360 almost quadrupled Xbox. The highest selling Halo on 360 was only 50% more than Halo 2. The people who will buy Halo are the people who bought the original Xbox, and we could factor in those people before Xb one was even announced. It will stop Xb one from being a dismal failure, but it does not ensure lifetime sales close to Xb360.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Puppyroach said:
Considering both X1 and PS4 seem to be available in quite big numbers, the "supply constrained" claims seem to be pure hype, nothing else. So, if X1 would drop down to WiiU levels, and PS4 continue to move around 130k units each week, would you say the whole industry is on its way out?

Depends of where you live, it sure is supply constrained where i live, i don't think i have yet to see a PS4 in stock on sites like amazon, it's always only available for pre-order and sent when stock is available, i actually underestimated that supply issue as well and didn't bother pre-ordering the Infamous Bundle early, and it was sold out 3 weeks prior to release and now i'm waiting.

On the other side i just check for the Xbox One on the French amazon and it is in stock and seems the Titanfall Bundle is priced like the basic Xbox One, didn't know the game was given for free outside of UK Oo.