By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo needs new IPs now more than ever

But a new IP doesn't guarantee any good sales, it's more the presentation of a new game what sells itself now. Last of Us? Amazing aesthetics, story, and simply, good looking to everyone. Titanfall? Action filled, a lot of movement, and, well, a FPS. Or GTAV, a sequel. It didn't sell only to the Open World-GTA long time fans, it sold pretty much to everyone, why? Because it's beatiful!

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

DOAXbeach volley with peach samus and all others

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

think-man said:
Id like some more "adulty" games from Nintendo.

You want this, don't you?

green_sky said:
think-man said:
Id like some more "adulty" games from Nintendo.

You want this, don't you?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

I think its more expansion that they need, more than anything. 2 or 3 new teams, built from the ground up, given creative freedom.

Nintendo have had a lot of new IP over Gen 7 and Gen 8, the problems are that they either dont give them great backing (Xenoblade) or they are reaaaally niche (TW101).

Around the Network

Nintendo is in a bind, to be honest.

If they continue eschewing games with complex characters, deeper narratives, and darker atmospheres then they'll win very few recruits from consoles which offer a wide variety of game-types. If they do give in and begin making different types of games, it would appear from reading this thread that many of the current Nintendo fans would reject the new offerings. "Mature" content like Uncharted, Halo, and Bayonetta will be spurned immediately. Current Nintendo fans clearly do not want these types of games.

Doomed if they do, doomed if they don't.

vivster said:

But in all seriousness, Nintendo should create a new mascot by themselves and not waiting around until a third party publishes exclusively for them.

LOL, this is awesome. Pretty much the truth too. Most of the new IPs I've played over the fast two years have been 3DS eShop titles.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

RolStoppable said:
Fusioncode said:

RE4 did pretty well on Gamecube, but that wasn't a new IP. It was an established series that had the majority fanbase on a different platform. It was also hurt by the PS2 version being announced before the Gamecube version was even released. And if Nintendo's competitors are smearing it's name then maybe Nintendo should try that too. People loved it when Sony attacked Microsoft at E3. 

You originally suggested that Nintendo should go after the same crowd that is firmly established on Sony and Microsoft consoles. Now you basically concede that this is a problem by way of refuting my point regarding the RE series.

We've already seen how well it went over when Reggie said that the Wii U has the best version of CoD. Or put another way, as long as Nintendo makes Mario, it will be easy for others to label Nintendo as kiddie, regardless of all the other games Nintendo makes (we've seen this in effect for over two decades now).

You act as if brand loyalty is impossible to overcome. Look how many people jumped ship from SNES to PS1, or PS2 to 360. RE4 on Gamecube was sabotaged by Capcom announcing a PS2 version before the game was even released. Most Playstation fans decided to just wait instead of buying a Gamecube. Who knows how well it would have done if it stayed an exclusive. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

RolStoppable said:
Fusioncode said:

RE4 did pretty well on Gamecube, but that wasn't a new IP. It was an established series that had the majority fanbase on a different platform. It was also hurt by the PS2 version being announced before the Gamecube version was even released. And if Nintendo's competitors are smearing it's name then maybe Nintendo should try that too. People loved it when Sony attacked Microsoft at E3. 

You originally suggested that Nintendo should go after the same crowd that is firmly established on Sony and Microsoft consoles. Now you basically concede that this is a problem by way of refuting my point regarding the RE series.

We've already seen how well it went over when Reggie said that the Wii U has the best version of CoD. Or put another way, as long as Nintendo makes Mario, it will be easy for others to label Nintendo as kiddie, regardless of all the other games Nintendo makes (we've seen this in effect for over two decades now).

But did anyone truly believe that? And even if they did i cant imagine it was so much better that it would have made people plunk down money for a new console

Aside from the implication that Nintendo hasn't done anything new since the N64 days, I agree...Nintendo could gain a lot from making some new IPs.

Unfortunately, there is a bit of a Nintendo trap which is amplified by the fact that the Wii U isn't doing so great. Nintendo needs hardware sellers and new IPs have a much harder time of that than established franchises. Also, people always seem to ask for a new metroid or star fox or zelda and then when they come out they complain that Nintendo doesn't do anything new...

Basically, bad situation but screw em...take some risks Nintendo!