By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo needs new IPs now more than ever

I, personally, agree entirely. They need to release at least one major new IP every year for the WiiU (actually, if they did one casual + one 'hardcore', that'd be the sweet spot), and also start being more creative with the ones they have. They've been playing it too "safe" with their current IPs - Mario especially.

I do also think that more advertising would make a world of a difference for the system's popularity, but word of mouth can do the trick if they put out good enough games.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

I agree.

New Ideas, New IPs bring excitement.

Right now they are strictly preaching to believers

nickthequick said:
Hi! I'm not new to VGchartz, but this is my first post.

I feel like Nintendo could use some new IPs, but I also feel like they already have too many IPs that are underutilized these days. Star Fox, F-Zero, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Custom Robo, Punch-Out!!, etc. These are all valuable IPs that haven't had new games in a while. They all also represent genres that are not necessarily too common on Nintendo platforms these days. New IPs are always important, but I don't think that should mean abandoning old ones.

Even Metroid hasn't had a release in a while now that I think about it.

At least we have gotten new Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem games recently.

Yup they need to crank out all their IP's. Not just Mario and Zelda.

the "newness" of an IP is irrelevant, especially for nintendo, that reinvents their IPs all the time. nintendo slaps old characters on a new game while others slap new characters on the same games.

Zero999 said:

the "newness" of an IP is irrelevant, especially for nintendo, that reinvents their IPs all the time. nintendo slaps old characters on a new game while others slap new characters on the same games.

Someone who didn't care about Zelda during the N64 era won't change their minds if the next game does a few things differently. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
In case you haven't realized it yet (and it looks like you haven't), becoming like the competition is what got Nintendo into trouble in the first place. So "cloning" Forza, Uncharted etc. won't do any good.

It's really mindboggling to see this time and time again:

Nintendo's problem: The Wii U is too much like Sony and Microsoft consoles.
The solution: Nintendo has to become more like Sony and Microsoft.

exactly it all went down the sitter when they sold rare

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I don't think imitating Sony/Microsoft on a weaker hardware is a good business strategy. Simulations and cinematic games are hyped mainly because of their realistic graphics, they don't fit well on a weaker hardware.

I seriously would like Nintendo to explore this IP more. 

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

RolStoppable said:
In case you haven't realized it yet (and it looks like you haven't), becoming like the competition is what got Nintendo into trouble in the first place. So "cloning" Forza, Uncharted etc. won't do any good.

It's really mindboggling to see this time and time again:

Nintendo's problem: The Wii U is too much like Sony and Microsoft consoles.
The solution: Nintendo has to become more like Sony and Microsoft.

I appreciate the condescending attitude but that's not what I meant. Look at Titanfall, it appeals to the Call of Duty crowd but it does enough things differently to stand on it's own, hell, it's even brought FPS fans back into the genre. Similar enought to appeal to the same crowd, but different enough to be unique. What about World of Warcraft, it was similar to Everquest, but it became it's own thing and was hugely successful as a result. I'm not saying Nintendo should copy Uncharted and Call of Duty, the should use them as inspiration. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

They should make a series based on Non-Specific Action Figure... The sky is the limit

1doesnotsimply