By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo needs new IPs now more than ever

Nintendo have enough IPs, its just that they dont use certain ones enough. Take Kid Icarus uprising, an underused IP that created a really fresh gaming experience, Nintendo need to do more of that

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
vivster said:

But in all seriousness, Nintendo should create a new mascot by themselves and not waiting around until a third party publishes exclusively for them.

WOAH, FIVE examples. Actually 3, Wii Sports Resort and Sin and Punishment weren't a new IP. 

Then change Resorts for Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music, Wii Party and Sin and Punishment for Nintendogs, Kid Icarus (last game was so many years ago), The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Xenoblade, Pushmo.

There's no excuse. The pic is right.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Fusioncode said:
vivster said:

But in all seriousness, Nintendo should create a new mascot by themselves and not waiting around until a third party publishes exclusively for them.

WOAH, FIVE examples. Actually 3, Wii Sports Resort and Sin and Punishment weren't a new IP. 

Then change Resorts for Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Music, Wii Party and Sin and Punishment for Nintendogs, Kid Icarus (last game was so many years ago), The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Xenoblade, Pushmo.

There's no excuse. The pic is right.

I think the Wii did introduce a good amount of variety with new IPs. They tapped completely new audiences with games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit. I'm just curious why they're not trying to do that now with the WiiU. They seem to be mostly relying on the same Nintendo franchises that have been around for over a decade. The new IPs they do make get shoved to the sidelines and sent out to die. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Nope

New IPs rarely sell well. Wonderful 101 is a fine example.

Nintendo must bring back its most famous franchises: we all know Zelda will be coming, but they should bring back Metroid, Star Fox, Earthbound, Advance Wars, Excitebike, 1080 Snowboarding, Wave Race, Fire Emblem.... there´s no shortage of options.

And, of course, market them better, better advertisment, more promotions etc.

They need to revive and reinvent old IPS... Kid Icarus is a great example of this. They can make almost any game they want, in almost any genre, and bring it back with an old name to appeal to the nostalgia crowd and the new IP crowd.

A new Mach Rider, for example, can be anything from a Twisted Metal type vehicular combat game to a Fall Out style post apocalyptic RPG/shooter.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
vivster said:

Yeah, because those were of course the only new IPs since Pikmin.

Pandoras Tower, Xenoblade and The Last Story came out between 2011 and 2012.

What about Kid Icarus on the 3DS ? Does it count, or would you go the " There was this one game 25 years ago on the NES, doesn´t count !" route ?

Look, I don´t disagree with the sentiment that Nintendo should be a bit more experimental...but lets not conveniently forget about like half their new IPs.

Specially new IPs with lots of   blood and  many swear words. Everybody loves those!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

ninetailschris said:

Fusioncode said:
vivster said:

gamefreak knight rytheme game. pushmo. rhythm heaven feaver. xenoblade. spirit camera, freakyforms. I could name more if i looked it up. 

It's a shame not that a single of those new IPs are mass market products.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Yeah it looks like what Nintendo needs to do is find out what makes the likes of their core ip's (Mario,Pokemon,Zelda etc) so popular and then reinvent their dormant and new ip's with the same energy that made them great.

Well obviously that's true, but I doubt they will.