By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo needs new IPs now more than ever

I just realised nintendo just has to add sexy ness in every game

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Fusioncode said:

You act as if brand loyalty is impossible to overcome. Look how many people jumped ship from SNES to PS1, or PS2 to 360. RE4 on Gamecube was sabotaged by Capcom announcing a PS2 version before the game was even released. Most Playstation fans decided to just wait instead of buying a Gamecube. Who knows how well it would have done if it stayed an exclusive. 

I am not refering to brand loyalty, but rather something along the lines of image loyalty, for lack of a better term. "No self-respecting 20-something would play a Nintendo system.", that kind of thinking. It got intensified over the last years, nowadays pretty much all gaming media writes as if Nintendo doesn't exist. The narrative that is pushed is that gamers have to decide between PlayStation and Xbox.

If Nintendo were to make the new IPs you suggested, you also need to think about how Nintendo can break out of this cycle of unfavorable (non)coverage. It seems that you assume that Nintendo just has to make the games and that will solve all problems. But what are another three or four Bayonetta 2s and Xes really going to do? They will make it an easier decision for you personally to buy a Wii U, but that's about it.

Fixing their image is a whole other issue. But I think making more games too appeal to different crowds is a good first step. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

No, please no bland brown and grey shooters.
They can stay elsewhere

an MMO would be sweet though.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Anfebious said:
It needs new IP's but the solution is not making a FPS like Call of Duty or a Cinematic game like Uncharted. They need to make new IP's that go in line with what they where doing for years. "Mature games" aren't the solution to Nintendo's problems.

"what they were doing for years" hasn't worked since Sony entered the market for home consoles. Maybe it's time for a change. I'm not saying that they should become like Sony and MS, I've always thought that that idea was very dumb, but what they always did just doesn't cut it if they want to be top dogs in the home console market. Obviously I'm excluding the Wii from this since Wii truly managed to capture the "casual" crowd and it wasn't like past Nintendo consoles. 

Right now the Wii U is selling bad, so it only makes sense for Nintendo to put their established franchises as top priority since they have the best chance at selling consoles. Once MK8/SSB4/etc. fail to do so, Nintendo might try doing more different things, which I hope includes reviving more old IPs like Starfox, F-Zero, etc.

Around the Network

Fusioncode said:
vivster said:

But in all seriousness, Nintendo should create a new mascot by themselves and not waiting around until a third party publishes exclusively for them.

WOAH, FIVE examples. Actually 3, Wii Sports Resort and Sin and Punishment weren't a new IP. 

gamefreak knight rytheme game. pushmo. rhythm heaven feaver. xenoblade. spirit camera, freakyforms. I could name more if i looked it up. 

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

vivster said:
*image*

This, pretty much. Every time this topic comes up, someone bothers to point out all the many new IPs that Nintendo has produced over the years, yet the goal-posts keep being moved over and over again... And worst of all, using arguments that somehow don't apply to Sony and Microsoft (the use of external developers, digital-only games, lack of popularity, etc). Nintendo can't win no matter what.

The fact is, Nintendo has more popular IPs than Sony or Microsoft, so just taking care of them (and their spin-offs) demands a lot of resources. And they have historically expanded their gameplay experiences through the use of these familiar characters, as many of them are flexible enough to pull this off. There's nothing wrong with this, as you don't need new IPs to provide new experiences, nor are new IPs always original or innovative. They still produce at least a few ones every gen when they need to, and this gen is not the exception.

Another thing that gets usually ignored here is that the gaming market not only consists of gamers who have been playing games for a decade or more, but also of ones that have started gaming relatively recently. For them, old IPs are as new as the rest.

Finally, I'll just echo what Rol is saying here and say that while there's always room to expand and improve Nintendo's 1st party lineup, mimicking what Sony and Microsoft do by going for the same audience is a recipe for disaster. These gamers already have them to satisfy their needs, so they're unlikely to get another platform for more of the same. They need to go for the gamers that are being currently ignored nowadays, which in part are already doing with the likes of Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, X, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and the so called "casual" games, not to mention keeping platformers as a priority. And any gamer that appreciates diversity can understand how this is a good thing for the industry, not just Nintendo.

While I do agree that Nintendo needs new IPs, and more mature IPs, this isn't the generation for that. For that to succeed they need to wait for next gen, have a console around the same power of the next gen Xbox and PS and get full 3rd party support. When that happens, they have to have "darker", "grittier" 1st party games ready. What they can do now is to take old IPs that haven't seen a release in a while (Star Fox, Kid Icarus, Metroid) and take them somewhat in a new direction.

People seem to really want a more mature Zelda game - and TP seem to support that view. So give us that. And "westernize" the other franchises I mentioned above; those games could really benefit from it.

EDIT: And if Nintendo wants more mature games and have a more diverce offering they need to expand. I've been saying this for quite some time; but buy some western studios and have NOA manage them. Maybe even create a new brand under which name you can publish these games. Or expand Retro expanansioally and have them making one game per year ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I agree, but what? don't forget taht we live in a world where we have seen it all before... new ideas are rare very rare....
what about a bit trip runner portable game with Mario characters? or Pokemon?

probably Hyrule warriors is the newest idea they had in years...

Switch!!!

No new IPs since N64 is a little harsh, though. Sure, N64 had a lot (Wave Race, Sin & Punishment, Smash Bros., Mischief Makers, Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, 1080°, Mario Party, Doshin the Giant, ...) but it's not like there was much less after that. Sure, Nintendo uses its known characters for some new things (Luigi's Mansion is somewhat of a new IP, Donkey Konga and lots more games that just got a Nintendo face to be recognized) but there have been plenty others. Yeah, lots were planned for N64 but they were released later. Nintendo got really great exclusives on Gamecube and Wii, not all published by Nintendo, it's just that people don't know.
Nintendo needs to learn proper marketing and that people can like new faces.