By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Killzone ShadowFall Multiplayer runs at only 960 x 1080 resolution

This doesn't really tell the full story. It's not 1080p, but it's not not 1080p either. At least that's my understanding. You can't really say what the resolution is when it's rendered like this. And I've gotta hand it to guerrilla, they did a really good job with this hat trick.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
BenVTrigger said:
I'll also add thats a lower resolution than Titanfall on Xbox One so hopefully that ends those complaints being thrown at the game.

When did they confirm the resolution for titanfall? Last i heard it was just over 720? 

the Beta ran at 1408 x 792 which is 1,115,136 pixels.

KZ multiplayer is 960 x 1080 which is 1,036,800.

So even if Titanfall doesn't go higher than its Beta it already has a higher resolution. The rumor is the final build is higher than the Beta. Regardless in terms of resolution it outperforms Killzone.

This isn't meant to be an attack on Killzone but I'm simply saying hopefully it puts an end to some of the drive by comments I've seen in regard to Titanfall.

This isn't meant as an attack? Hmm, meh. You know why it won't end?

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/14/titanfall-beta-xbox-one-vs-pc-max-settings-direct-feed-screenshot-comparison-pc-wins-but-not-by-much/

Look at those screens, look at that aliasing, those "textures" that simple geometry (that statue is a shame, we're in 2014...) and then look at some screen from a direct feed of Killzone. And I'm sure you'll understand that the PS4 would run Titanfall in fullHD without any issue. You're comparing a game (TF) that uses an old gen engine, with seriously unimpressive graphics vs probably the best looking game made this gen so far (nope, don't bring Ryse in there, since we know the cutscenes weren't in realtime it's pretty much pointless, and it's not an FPS anyway).

And I'm not hating on Titanfall, I'm buying it day 1 on PC, but don't think that just because the pixel count is smaller that something relevant can be taken out of it, the 2 games are a generation apart. We could run PS2/Xbox/GC games in 4K, does that mean TF and KSF perform like shit compared to them? Nope

No matter how you try to spin it ,, the game still renders less then titanfall beta and thats a fact. You can't win them all ,, just be happy us gamers get good games to enjoy on our next gen consoles

Raven722 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
That is pretty shitty honestly... I get why but it is pretty shitty... Not even the first party on the most powerful console can push 1080p on multiplayer... Damn that budget PC hardware

Sadly, this is what we have to look forward to for this generation. These platforms won't be comparable to high-end PC gaming at any point in time unlike the last one. Like the comments in the article said, this is a generation about cost saving, multimedia applications, and serving a wider company vision. We may never again see a console that performs at the level of a PC at any point in its life.

Maybe, to keep costs (and heat, as APUs contain the two most power-hungry ICs, CPU and GPU, in a single chip) under control they chose GPUs that are barely capable of 1080p@60Hz in optimal conditions. These optimal conditions surely include being fed with a steady stream of data, and in multiplayer most probably this condition isn't met.
But all this could account for a GPU performance drop not as big as 50%, a drop so steep made me think, even before checking, that it uses p2p, not dedicated servers, distributed computing for MP, with the consoles themselves being the computing nodes. I checked, and it looks like KZ SF uses p2p for computing and dedicated servers just as hubs, gateways:
http://videogamesandnews.com/ps4-players-upset-dedicated-servers-killzone-shadow-fall/
For more links:
https://www.google.it/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=killzone+multiplayer+servers+p2p&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=HQ0VU8q-LaHe8gfe6YCgCg&gws_rd=cr
This explains all: 8th gen consoles APUs actually are mid range, but if in SP they are capable of 1080p @whatever between 30 and 60Hz, and in MP suddenly they cannot anymore, and by an excessive amount, it cannot be GPU's fault.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but any HDTV broadcast I get here is 1080i. So I guess that's sub HD now...
Actually Dr Who series on blu-ray is in 1080i. Looks great and is a step up from 1080p24, since the tv de-interlaces it.

At least it matches native display resolution without any softness from upscaling, but at the cost of unwanted motion blur with fast movement. Essentially it's 1080p30, but split up to make 1080i60.
I guess they can't use an actual 1080i signal since frame rate drops would stand out more, and de-interlacing will add lag defeating the whole purpose. (rendering 1920x540 instead of 960x1080 shouldn't make any difference) GT4 did that trick on ps2, 640x540 into a 1080i60 signal, but that was before de-interlacing became standard.

In terms of computational difficulty it goes like this
720p60
I guess locked 1920x1080 60 fps multiplayer will stay exclusive to sim racers. At least hitting native display res and over 30fps is a step up from last gens sub 720p with screen tearing.

Around the Network
kurasakiichimaru said:
VXIII said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Kyuu said:
Stefl1504 said:

Might be so they can say it runs at 1080p, since technically it does have 1080 vertical lines of resolution running progressively. It's just not the real 1920x1080.

Not directed at this game in particular, but I wanted 1080@60 to be the standard this gen :( ...Oh well, not that big of a deal I guess.

I think you are mistaken, it is 1080 pixels in each vertical line, not 1080 vertical lines. But your point stands, it is "technically" 1080p.

They should have gone with 1080p @ 30fps imo.

GG got away because of this kind of technique. Using frames from previous ones to blend on to the other blank ones. It only means that if this technique is use by a lot more devs and perfected, more devs are going to be able to finally cheat their way to 1080p and 60fps without a lot of people noticing the difference.

I think it is genius to be honest considering a lot of devs don't have the resources of 1080p assets from previous gen(japan games mainly).

Basically they are only refreshing half the pixels on any horizontal line... okay, now it makes more sense to me...

Mr Puggsly said:
That resolution is in the ball park of 720p in regards to pixels. 720p is 921600, while this game is 1036800, ~11% difference.

I'm surprised it struggles to maintain 60 fps at that resolution.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

dane007 said:
No matter how you try to spin it ,, the game still renders less then titanfall beta and thats a fact. You can't win them all ,, just be happy us gamers get good games to enjoy on our next gen consoles

No matter how you try to spin it, Titanfall is a cross gen game with old gen engine with 12 players and cant even renders 1080p .

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

It suck even though they gimped it they cannot reach full hd.

RIP ps3, xbox360.

welcome home ps4 and X1

I grew up playing frikin GoldenEye.

Last thing I could care about with shooters is shid like this.

JAK N BLAK From The Youtubez!
►Watch Dogs Multiplayer Gameplay! WatchDogs Online: Multiplayer Gameplay 'Online Hacking' Gamemode FULLY EXPLAINED! (WatchDogs Online Multiplayer Gameplay)◄

LINK TO VID - WATCH HERE - http://youtu.be/4Hr9sJf7N7I